Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Try Channel 5 - thats about all thats transmitted on 2C at the moment.

Sky use all 5 satellites slotted at 28E
Astra 2A 2B 2C & 2D
Eurobird 1

These use about 10 different footprints.

dandnsmith

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm offset dish with triax receiver linked to TV,
and also Humax FoxSat-HD
My Location
Berks, UK
Have a look at _www.lyngsat.com/28east.html- you can see that there is stuff on 2A North&South, 2C, 2D, EuroBird. However, to get sky update stuff you need (I think) 2D.

Moscow Wolf

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2 metre Russian Made Aluminium Dish mounted on a 14th Floor Block of Flats with twin cables threaded down to the 5th Floor.
SKY + PACE TDS470NB
My Location
Moscow, Russia
darin73 said:
hey teacher,, leave those kids alone!

thanx, u guys are funny, and i really appreciate the help!

there are two bars on the screen and you're right (snap) the top on bar is 9-10% but the bottom bar is blank. ps..have a stupid grim at the 9-10% pointing at a brick wall! :)

but anyway i am an electrician of many years, i did the grunt work of running the co-ax cables (1 for tv & 1 for www) and mounted the dish. the sputnik master had some type of box that had a needle and made a whistling sound as he did the directing of the satilite dish. which is actually pointed at a satilite for "raduga" internet service.

i was going to have him(sputink master) come last wednesday to instal a seperate dish for astra, but i have decided to wait for sky box, so i can see reception bars. i think i will have this done mid november.

but maybe a second dish would not be necessary if u can answer this question,..do you know if there is www provider using the astra satilite?

also Q about the box..of course i dont have uk phone line here behind the iron curtain...i have read many posts, and i wonder about the card not working due to lack of "updates"???

well, going to try euro bird,,,i think i had that one, maybe you know, is it the satilite that carries sirrus?? for 100% sure i know i had that with good signal strength and clear picture,, i just wasnt a big fan of the 100 arab s_x chanels!

Darin, I am in the East of Moscow and we use an Expat here to receive our SKY channels. I have recently been up on the roof of my 14th floor building with a Russian technician to change the LNB and discovered the following: -

I have a Russian made 2 metre dish (ideally, we should have 2.5 metre dishes this far east, but they're too big to get into the lifts and up on to the roof) the LNB is made in China and I have no idea what db it is as I'm only now taking an interest in what I have paid and am still paying for in maintenance fees etc.

I started with a single cable SKY Pace Box and about 1 year ago, updated to a SKY+ PACE box so the technicians had to run a second cable from the roof (14th floor) down to my flat on the 5th floor.

I can get more or less most SKY channels except BBC, ITV. I used to get Channel 4 and 5, but of late they have more or less gone or practically unwatchable.

I have SKY Sports and the Film channels and the Anytime TV is a plus. They seem to be pushing Internet SKY here at the moment (at some fantastically expensive price), but I do not know if this is some kind of Slingbox set-up as I am not technically capable in this area.

What I would like to ask the Forum is this: -

I do have a UK Bank account, but do not currently use it as my address is a forwarding address in Slough which sends all of my mail to Moscow. I therefore currently pay a 'middleman' on a quarterly basis in advance the SKY Subscription plus 5% for using his credit card; is there anyway I can get around this to make it cheaper or pay direct? I guess if I stop my current agreement then, the middleman will 'deactivate' my card?

I pay a quarterly maintenance fee of 45 Pounds sterling, but I don't actually know what this covers as when I lost SKY last week, I had to wait a couple of days for the Russian technician to arrive to spend a whole 5 minutes to realise that the LNB had gone, he changed it and now the 'middleman' is asking me for 6.500 roubles (circa 153 Sterling) for a piece of Chinese manufactured junk.

He is also asking me for another 145 Sterling 'annual card fee'; last year he said it was a 'license fee' until I told him to poke it and I got it removed from my 'fees'.

I feel I am being ripped off here and need to find away around it. Can I take it that if I upgraded from SKY to SKY+ less than a year ago that they would have needed to have changed the LNB? In this case, if yes, I should surely get a 1 year guarantee on the equipment?

What else can I do to make my 'fringe reception' better? I read somewhere that Russian manufactured dishes are not up to much, but what facts can you give me so that I can baffle his brains back too!

I would really miss my SKY now if I lost it and I do not wish too, I just want to pay a fair price.

Many thanks, if as a Newbie, I have overlapped into the wrong forums with the wrong questions.

Moscow.

dxsat

Reaction score
Website
skyinmadrid.com
My Satellite Setup
Snap's setup: (In Spain) Humax HDR, Prodelin 1.8m dish + Invacom QDF-031 + CM feed, (In UK) CallFlow VDSL + EE 4G, Sky Q, YouView HD, Mac OSX, iOS
My Location
UK: Tonbridge, Kent. Spain: Madrid.
There are agents around who will provide the same service for a lot less, you are being severely ripped off. You shouldn't be paying any maintenance fees or card surcharges on your sub at all. You need to find someone in the UK whose address you can use, and find an agent which arranges the sub based on this address, there are a few that do this.
It would have been necessary to change the LNB when upgrading to Sky+, but they have obviously installed cheap junk which has failed, or the dish had moved, or something like bird droppings had covered it.
If you can get to the dish, I suggest buying an LNB yourself and DIY. There are people here who will help.
You should be able to receive BBC News on Sky 503.
If so, you can view football and other red button events by doing the following:-
Select 503 for BBC News.
Press 'text'
Key in '3001' and press 'Select'
This should give you access to any sports interactive channels ( not always active. Try on Saturday afternoons)

Moscow Wolf

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2 metre Russian Made Aluminium Dish mounted on a 14th Floor Block of Flats with twin cables threaded down to the 5th Floor.
SKY + PACE TDS470NB
My Location
Moscow, Russia
snap said:
There are agents around who will provide the same service for a lot less, you are being severely ripped off. You shouldn't be paying any maintenance fees or card surcharges on your sub at all. You need to find someone in the UK whose address you can use, and find an agent which arranges the sub based on this address, there are a few that do this.
It would have been necessary to change the LNB when upgrading to Sky+, but they have obviously installed cheap junk which has failed, or the dish had moved, or something like bird droppings had covered it.
If you can get to the dish, I suggest buying an LNB yourself and DIY. There are people here who will help.
You should be able to receive BBC News on Sky 503.
If so, you can view football and other red button events by doing the following:-
Select 503 for BBC News.
Press 'text'
Key in '3001' and press 'Select'
This should give you access to any sports interactive channels ( not always active. Try on Saturday afternoons)

Snap, thank you for that valuable information, I fully realise that I am being 'taken for a ride', but without any competitor service, I have the choice to pay or not receive my SKY. If you could suggest someone (website) in the UK that could facilitate such then please PM me so that I can follow it up asap.

I believe that BBC News is quite a new channel for us here out in the East of Europe, I can receive it ok and will follow your advice. I am not a technical proficient person, but can follow specific instructions to push this or that button as long as a banana is thrown in occasionally to keep me happy. :cool:

dxsat

Reaction score
Website
skyinmadrid.com
My Satellite Setup
Snap's setup: (In Spain) Humax HDR, Prodelin 1.8m dish + Invacom QDF-031 + CM feed, (In UK) CallFlow VDSL + EE 4G, Sky Q, YouView HD, Mac OSX, iOS
My Location
UK: Tonbridge, Kent. Spain: Madrid.
I can't send you a PM as you haven't been a member for long enough.
See if you can send me one by looking in my profile>contact info>Vcard.

Moscow Wolf

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SKY + PACE TDS470NB
My Location
Moscow, Russia
snap said:
I can't send you a PM as you haven't been a member for long enough.
See if you can send me one by looking in my profile>contact info>Vcard.

Understood, email sent. Many thanks once again.

ynotdu

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky digibox also U P C Ireland
My Location
Ireland
using 4>0>1 I do not get an option menu of full systym reset?Also most receivers even old steam driven ones will update systymn software If You press the back-up button until You see a black screen with an updating software message.It,s only use seems to be that If You buy a 2nd hand digibox that has been dormant,It will enable the decoder to store up to 50 channels to favourites,once stored access is via blue button, and the i button will tell you if a show is subtitled/narrated or not,if You want to switch either on.Software update has never given Me missing Channels from E.P.G though,seems to be card dependant to do that.

ynotdu

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky digibox also U P C Ireland
My Location
Ireland
Press&hold back up button after unplugging for at least 30 seconds I mean,Press back-up button as You are booting digibox up,black screen will appear stating updating systym software

darin73

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
have 2.1meter dish with 2in1 head for www & tv, Sky UK sat box (think its amstrad), computer is gateway laptop w/ XP
My Location
Tver, Russia
hi, soo...i just had a new dish (1.2meter) installed, not in front of a brick wall! ;-) but on the roof of my appartment complex. its above the the 9th floor, and has clear view to the sky. on the Arion box i selected astra 28 satilite, i have now both bars of signal, as b4 i had only 9% on top bar and zero on the bottom bar...now on top i have apprx ~40% and the bottom is about 55%, but they go +/- 5% constantly moving..but steady at those general % signal strength.

just wanted to keep you posted, any1 whos interested anyway..maybe i will be first behind the iron curtain to have sky?? not that i care about making history, just be nice to hear some proper english! lol

but, i do wory about one thing now,, maybe sum1 can help,

i have been reading posts about the boxes (sky) that need to call for updates, but of course, i dont have a uk land line here in russia..now my sky card is "married" to a box (sky) in scotland..i plan to have this box shiped to me, as this was the box i activated the card in..does any1 have an opinion about the need for land line?? in scotland i unpluged the land line after activation and the chanels all came in fine,, so i can say box +card dont need phone line to watch tv..but for how long i wonder?? i heard somthing about an "auto dialer", also sumthing about pluging the phone jack into a phone cord that "doubles back on itself" as to "trick" the box into thinking the line is busy???

ohh..also, the "sputnik master" wants to sell me a "booster" because, he says i got like 30 meters of cable going up the side of the building, from my flat on the 4th floor to the 9th floor...he said it will boost the signal from 55% to 80%..does any1 think i should buy this?? its a hassle cause i gotta bribe the lift 'Master' who will unlock the roof soo to install a booster?? but, maybe it a good idea??

cheers

Moscow Wolf

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SKY + PACE TDS470NB
My Location
Moscow, Russia
darin73 said:
hi, soo...i just had a new dish (1.2meter) installed, not in front of a brick wall! ;-) but on the roof of my appartment complex. its above the the 9th floor, and has clear view to the sky. on the Arion box i selected astra 28 satilite, i have now both bars of signal, as b4 i had only 9% on top bar and zero on the bottom bar...now on top i have apprx ~40% and the bottom is about 55%, but they go +/- 5% constantly moving..but steady at those general % signal strength.

just wanted to keep you posted, any1 whos interested anyway..maybe i will be first behind the iron curtain to have sky?? not that i care about making history, just be nice to hear some proper english! lol

i have been reading posts about the boxes (sky) that need to call for updates, but of course, i dont have a uk land line here in russia..now my sky card is "married" to a box (sky) in scotland..i plan to have this box shiped to me, as this was the box i activated the card in..does any1 have an opinion about the need for land line?? in scotland i unpluged the land line after activation and the chanels all came in fine,, so i can say box +card dont need phone line to watch tv..but for how long i wonder?? i heard somthing about an "auto dialer", also sumthing about pluging the phone jack into a phone cord that "doubles back on itself" as to "trick" the box into thinking the line is busy???

ohh..also, the "sputnik master" wants to sell me a "booster" because, he says i got like 30 meters of cable going up the side of the building, from my flat on the 4th floor to the 9th floor...he said it will boost the signal from 55% to 80%..does any1 think i should buy this?? its a hassle cause i gotta bribe the lift 'Master' who will unlock the roof soo to install a booster?? but, maybe it a good idea??

cheers

Darin, Sorry to disappoint, but you will be a LONG way from the first to receive SKY behind the Iron Curtain; read my post about reception in Moscow (a few posts back).

To be honest, I doubt if you will see any watchable channels with only a 1.5 metre dish as the smallest we use here are 2 metre but ideally we should have 2.5 or 2.7

The smallest dish that I have heard of getting anything have been 1.8 metre and they were only installed as the Landlords of the estate wouldn't allow anything larger.

Tver is more North West of Moscow on the way to Saint Petersburg so you are not really East of Moscow and I would guesstimate, that you could receive SKY with the right sized dish and equipment.

When I first came back here in 1994, the only English I could hear was the Shortwave BBC World Service on a Grundig Yacht Boy and even that was 'iffy' at times trying to follow the football on Saturdays.

Good luck

Moscow Wolf

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SKY + PACE TDS470NB
My Location
Moscow, Russia
darin73 said:

cheers

Darin, See my Post (about four back)

MOSCOW Wolf. ;)

darin73

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
have 2.1meter dish with 2in1 head for www & tv, Sky UK sat box (think its amstrad), computer is gateway laptop w/ XP
My Location
Tver, Russia
MockBa Wolf, privet, ..first hope your kak dela is great for this holiday, cHoBom GoDoM! ..in fact Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to all have have helped! =)

well, i got my sky box in the post here in russia in mid november. i had the sputnik master adjust the dish to astra 28..there was 48% & 60% on reception bars with the Arion reciever box, but when i attached the co-ax cable to the sky box, and turn it on it looks for signal, but then says "no Signal"..

does any1 know where i can get a 2meter dish in moscow? the sputnik master said his supply place doesn't carry them..i am dying for scottish, english and american football! ;)

big thanx to all who help, happy 2009!
cheers, darin

Moscow Wolf

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SKY + PACE TDS470NB
My Location
Moscow, Russia
darin73 said:
MockBa Wolf, privet, ..first hope your kak dela is great for this holiday, cHoBom GoDoM! ..in fact Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to all have have helped! =)

well, i got my sky box in the post here in russia in mid november. i had the sputnik master adjust the dish to astra 28..there was 48% & 60% on reception bars with the Arion reciever box, but when i attached the co-ax cable to the sky box, and turn it on it looks for signal, but then says "no Signal"..

does any1 know where i can get a 2meter dish in moscow? the sputnik master said his supply place doesn't carry them..i am dying for scottish, english and american football! ;)

big thanx to all who help, happy 2009!
cheers, darin

Darin, try these guys that advertise in the Moscow Times.
_www.tvmos.ru

I haven't used them myself, but I do know that Russia does produce its own 2 metre plus dishes. Also, the LNB's are Luminax produced for NTV + but these are a copy of better known Western make, (can't remember which one). I am assuming you have had the SKY Box activated in the UK before being sent out?

Good luck, I'm off to the UK tonight for two weeks so won't be around to offer any more suggestions.

victor57

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
90cms, TT-budget S-1401,
I want to see Sky+ in Belarus
My Location
Belarus
Hello!
I want to see SKY+ free channels in Belarus. (52°07'N - 23°41'E).
I want to buy freeview card and receiver on ebay because low price on them.
What kind of card and receiver I must buy? How I can be sure that card already activated in UK?
Sellers some times can not give me full information about his products.
Which free channels I can see on TT-Budget S1401 pc card?

Flipit

Reaction score
Sorry to bump the threat, if I posted in the wrong place my apologies, but it seemed like the right place to ask.

I'm looking for up-to-date info on changing a Sky subscription to Sky+ from abroad, with no phone line. There are various discussions on forums that date back to 2005, but nothing conclusive that is current. Reading between the lines I think Sky changed their minds somewhere around 2007 and now allow upgrades to be done without a phone line for some nominal fee (25 GBP ?) if you just call them with the card and box id. I'm not talking about any Sky discount deals here or multiroom which I know must have phone line. I'm just inquiring about buying the box direct from a dealer, phoning sky on a uk mobile and asking them to marry the existing card (uk address) with the new box and activate Sky+.

Slightly off topic - Since I'm buying the box direct from a dealer, I figured I may as well spend the extra now and by an HD box - PACE TDS850NB then at some future point I can then upgrade the Sky+ to Sky HD. Q1. Is this a good box for fringe reception (southern spain)? Q2. Can I use the HD box as a standard Sky+ box without getting my subscription upgraded to Sky HD ?

Many thanks

Flipit

iceman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3.0m Motorised Channel Master + 4 fixed dish Amstrad_DRX890C
DM7020s,DM800se
UNOHM EP314 PROMAX TV Explorer
My Location
Kyrenia - NORTH CYPRUS
Flipit said:
Sorry to bump the threat, if I posted in the wrong place my apologies, but it seemed like the right place to ask.

I'm looking for up-to-date info on changing a Sky subscription to Sky+ from abroad, with no phone line. There are various discussions on forums that date back to 2005, but nothing conclusive that is current. Reading between the lines I think Sky changed their minds somewhere around 2007 and now allow upgrades to be done without a phone line for some nominal fee (25 GBP ?) if you just call them with the card and box id. I'm not talking about any Sky discount deals here or multiroom which I know must have phone line. I'm just inquiring about buying the box direct from a dealer, phoning sky on a uk mobile and asking them to marry the existing card (uk address) with the new box and activate Sky+.

Slightly off topic - Since I'm buying the box direct from a dealer, I figured I may as well spend the extra now and by an HD box - PACE TDS850NB then at some future point I can then upgrade the Sky+ to Sky HD. Q1. Is this a good box for fringe reception (southern spain)? Q2. Can I use the HD box as a standard Sky+ box without getting my subscription upgraded to Sky HD ?

Many thanks

Flipit

Just call them on SKYPE and ask for your existing card to be paired to the new box....simple as that.

SKY HD boxes are SKY+ boxes with HD capability anyway,so i suppose without the HD sub they would work as an ordinary SKY+ box.

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
lap top win xp, 28.2e 19e,13e 7w, 16e,30w
My Location
canary islands
12051 still works and is gr8 for canary is regions

milestone 11

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.25m dish, sky+ HD digibox, Amstrad DRX890z, Sony vaio VGN-NR11Z/S
My Location
Corralejo
jacko said:
hello tintoria 1,
i have to reset my old mans sky box about once a fortnight,due
to power cuts/interuptions on his complex .everytime the power comes back on
he has 11778 showing as his default transponder and cannot pick up any signal.
after i enter 11740,then go down to manual tuning ,the signal and all the channels
come back.my mates card was new and was not activated when he first received
it.i haven¨t seen my mate recently but i presume that everything is now ok with his
card or he would have contacted me.
also try default transponder 12051 ,this one also worked but i haven¨t tried it
for a while. good luck.
Thanks Jacko for this info. I live in the windy isle of the 7 and last night had a power cut, result no sky. As is the norm, our local satellite man told me it must be that the dish is out of alignment, this of course brings about a €50 "realignment" fee, a few button pushes and bobs your uncle, yeah, I shant be falling for that one again, I'm totally pissed off that I've been gullible and naive enough to fall for it in the past. Anyway, thanks to you and this site, this time it cost me nothing.

costasx

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Thomson SKY+HD on MABO 1.80,
Vantage 7100S HD on Gibertini 1.25x1.35 motorized
My Location
Patmos, Greece
Hi to all and Happy New Year.
I'm trying to get sky on an island in Greece (Patmos). I have an 1.80 dish which on my regular receiver gives me 84% signal but when i connect my Thomson Sky+HD box it says no signal. I've connected both cables from the lnb. From what i've read in this thread it gives me no signal because i can't get the default transpoder, but i can't change that. The "services-4-0-1-select" method doesn't work for me. I think the box is upgraded to a newer software. Any ideas?
In "details" it says "operating system version" 1.32B12 and "EPG software version" sky+8.3.2
Thanks