Dell Latitude 233MHz P2 - to borrow for a day

chrislloret

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Beautiful Catalunya,Spain
@CH
10pounds gets you an external harddrive enclosure and that you can put on any desktop or notebook with USB. Here you can repair any damage. However,it looks like you have a nother problem. If your IO connector for the floppy AND the CD is gone,it might be that your internal HD connection is faulty as well. In that case,it crashes because of that and not because of the IE problem.
I just got myself a 266Mhz Toshiba Portege for 62pounds on fleebay with CD,USB,64Mb and a 10Gb HD. I put W98 on it and its sole purpose is to update various receivers and cams. It even got a w-LAN stick to download the files and because it got a serial port and PCMCIA its a breeze. My iBook can not do any of that. So maybe,just maybe it is time to look for something new(old). If you get a new one, you can get the data of your old one thru the external enclosure.
Better even,get the enclosure,go to a friend with a computer (pc or mac) and have the entire content of your drive burned on a CD. That way,you can easely import everything later.

Greetings
Chris

P.S. a 2 Gb drive you say? Thats the same one got on a memory stick these days.Can not be that much stuff?

BonceChops

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500, Dreambox 600PVR, Dreambox 7025+, Dreambox 7000, 1m dish on a Moteck SG2100
My Location
NW England
How about this h**p://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DELL-LATITUDE-CPi-LAPTOP-with-MICROLINK-MODEM-INCLUDED_W0QQitemZ6836131810QQcategoryZ3713QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Or maybe this motherboard and connectors would repair yours

h**p://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DELL-LATITUDE-CPT-LAPTOP-FOR-SPARES-OR-REPAIR_W0QQitemZ6836713608QQcategoryZ3713QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

13echo4

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
fta lifetime ultra dn
2700 ird rom 10 dn
platium sub dn
My Location
usa
chris thats another reason i keep an old laptop. i just put out $900 on a dell 6000 and it dont have a serial port. you believe that? all them creditcard reading machines out there and their starting to leave the rs232 behind.i dont need much processing to edit a .Bin and load it on a fta and for $60 i can chunk it in a pond if need be.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
chrislloret said:
@CH
10pounds gets you an external harddrive enclosure and that you can put on any desktop or notebook with USB. Here you can repair any damage. However,it looks like you have a nother problem. If your IO connector for the floppy AND the CD is gone,it might be that your internal HD connection is faulty as well. In that case,it crashes because of that and not because of the IE problem.

Hi Chris

The machine does not go beyond the initial start up screen , even in safe mode. Its all down to me attempting to download the IE update from the Microsoft website (they recommend this action if Explorer crashes more than twice).

ANyhow Ive been using the laptop for years without need for external drives, or the PCMCIA ports, as the internet connection, serial port and USB memorystick did all I wanted from it. I know the machine is now an antique, but in its favour its not likely to be stolen, and I still have a fondness for W98SE, much better than the WME this PC runs.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
It being an old laptop won't stop them stealing it and when they find out that it has no real sale value, they won't bring it back. :) PS. Anything is good compared to ME. :-lmao

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
rolfw said:
PS. Anything is good compared to ME. :-lmao
Ahh, cheer up mate, I think you're a bl00dy nice chap :D

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
LOL, yes that does look a bit desparate. :) :-rofl2

stealthpirate

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 1500ci+ super (upstairs), Phoenix Apollo MC (downstairs) both running off a cheapo 80cm dish with a twin output monoblock 13° & 19.2°. Sky+ (downstairs) piped 'round the house.
My Location
Yorkshire
you can get a lead of sleazebay that allows you to use your lappy HD in a desktop (I use one to load my old lappy up with o/s), also been playing with a linux boot cd (knoppix).... you can explore most hd's with winXX on without problems :)

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
I used Knoppix many years ago (for something else I think), but I didnt know it could be used for this.

(But I still need something to put it on with).

Will report back