Dell Latitude 233MHz P2 - to borrow for a day

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Is there anyone reading this forum that can 'lend me a working one of these for a day', in the North Surrey area.

I dont need the hard drive, just a functioning laptop with working CD-Rom drive. Mines up the spout and the Internet Explorer updat I downloaded yesterday has upset the Windows operating system.

Its all still on the drive, but I cant load up Win98 / start Win98 with the present conflicts.

In return I can carry out some local satellite maintenance, or provide some beer tokens.

Cheers

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Forgot the sentence - or anything else that might fit the 2 gb Toshiba laptop hard drive - in the first post

13echo4

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
fta lifetime ultra dn
2700 ird rom 10 dn
platium sub dn
My Location
usa
Hey bro this sounds like a pretty wierd request to me. Whats up? would'nt it be alittle easier for use to help you solve your issues than getting a laptop to you. does your LT have a floppydrive? if so try using a bootdisc to open windows. aight if that dont work do you have a windows 98 os disc? if so reformat.

salvador

Reaction score
Website
www.studyenglishintheuk.com
My Satellite Setup
Ferguson Digibox & Mini dish - Arion AF-1700EC & 80 cm dish
Computer Setup? a couple of PCs and a few Laptos
My Location
UK
13echo4 said:
do you have a windows 98 os disc? if so reformat.

That is very much easier said than done :-bash

Some people talk about reformating a hard disk like it was a two minutes job :D. It takes time and patient to put everything back....

Salvador

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
13echo4 said:
Hey bro this sounds like a pretty wierd request to me. Whats up? would'nt it be alittle easier for use to help you solve your issues than getting a laptop to you. does your LT have a floppydrive? if so try using a bootdisc to open windows. aight if that dont work do you have a windows 98 os disc? if so reformat.

Hi Echo
The plug in connection to the motherboard is faulty, and so neither the CD Rom , nor the floppy drive can be used.
As I cannot take any (important) data off the drive, then formatting is not an option at the moment. Even if I had nothing useful on there, the present lock up straight after startup prevents any cleaning of the disc

13echo4

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
fta lifetime ultra dn
2700 ird rom 10 dn
platium sub dn
My Location
usa
salvador reformatting a hdd is really just that easy. now no it cant be done in just 2 minutes. f-discing will probally take 10 minutes in it self. the installing of windows a good 30min to a hour. could be longer. but you know sometimes thats just what it takes. and in this sitution it sounds like what needs to happen but he has posted back with other problems. when you have an application highjacking your machine its some times much easier and faster to just reformat then you get a clean registor and bootfile. this is why in alot of circles they preach backup, backup, backup, your info. that why you can just format and go.

Channel Hopper so your looking to install your hdd into another case to recover data? what plugs are bad? we've gone from an IE problem to hardware issues. i take that it that it's your cd and floppy connections thats bad but just want to make sure. is it bad on the MOBO or at the drive connection?
Bro i'm on the other side of the lake but really would like to help. these laptops should plentiful and real cheap. looking in my local paper i find 4 prices ranging from $60-$100 and that for the Dell Latitude. i dont know what ship from the US would cost but i bet in your area you should be able to find a few real cheap. as computers are getting cheaper these old dusty model are flooding the market really cheap or at least thats how it is here.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I have to say that tinkering with old bikes or old cars is great and produces useful results, but once a laptop or PC processor reaches the point where it is 10 or more times slower than current models, then it is probably time to turn off the life support system. :)

13echo4

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
fta lifetime ultra dn
2700 ird rom 10 dn
platium sub dn
My Location
usa
rolfw said:
I have to say that tinkering with old bikes or old cars is great and produces useful results, but once a laptop or PC processor reaches the point where it is 10 or more times slower than current models, then it is probably time to turn off the life support system. :)

i tend to agree. but for some of us its a cheap way to experment on some things.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, but there becomes a time when the piece of equipment really is not worth saving, as it is not suitable for its use and a PII is way, way past that, below is Channel Hopper's work room. :)

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
I've heard CH spends a lot of time in skips , he wants to start filling the skips up with the contents of his front room, back room and back garden before the council starts charging him business rates lol:p

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
How did you get access to my office?!?! :-rofl2

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
rolfw said:
a PII is way, way past that,

Ive got a 100 of the damn things chugging away slowly on my school network:-doh!

And boy are they past it now. :-doh! :-doh!

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Analoguesat said:
And boy are they past it now. :-doh! :-doh!

I know how they feel and today was very sad as I laid to rest a P1 at work only a PSU failure but not worth repairing.

BonceChops

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500, Dreambox 600PVR, Dreambox 7025+, Dreambox 7000, 1m dish on a Moteck SG2100
My Location
NW England
I thought you could connect the floppy via a cable that plugs into the parallel port on a Dell like yours. It is so you can have both CD-ROM and floppy connected at the same time.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
You certinly can on the Thinkpad.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
BonceChops said:
I thought you could connect the floppy via a cable that plugs into the parallel port on a Dell like yours. It is so you can have both CD-ROM and floppy connected at the same time.

Tis true, but I only have W98 on a CDRom.
As for binning the laptop, the data is on a Toshiba drive that seems to be of the P2 era, and Im hard up. Why did I try to clear the original IE fault ? it seemed like a simple job after two glasses of wine.:-doh!

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
CH, We've been here before m8...

Never drink and Hard Drive... :rolleyes:

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
BGonaSTICK said:
CH, We've been here before m8...

Never drink and Hard Drive... :rolleyes:
Well I cannot believe that we have not given the game away to the fuzz!!

If they have not sussed this code by now they must be stupid :-doh!

It is a bummer that you do not have a floppy system disk, even a firm one would work for you.....

13echo4

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
fta lifetime ultra dn
2700 ird rom 10 dn
platium sub dn
My Location
usa
rolfw said:
Yes, but there becomes a time when the piece of equipment really is not worth saving, as it is not suitable for its use and a PII is way, way past that, below is Channel Hopper's work room. :)

amen to that but still i love old equiment. back in the summer this guy ran an ad in the paper "use your phone to make money" i checked about it and he paid .38 a call that you made to advertise for him. so man i hooked up this old exterrer modem and loaded up adial. man i racked up. he fired me. he just knew could'nt nobody could make 43 phone calls a hour. there was a few hours that i got 100 calls an hour.
know what busted me? all them 1/2 second to 3 second timestampes on the logs. it would take a good 5 minutes to drop his sell pitch. he said he'd pay by call and he'd use call logs so i took advantage lol.
but really nobody should have important info on a pII machine. what you might have winME on there if your lucky{or rather unlucky}. if any my machines go down no big deal i got backups and where appicable i have written backups. but CH has a problem maybe we can solve it. i'm being to doubt it though roflmao