Desktop+Laptop+Dreambox

pant

pant

Regular Member
Messages
174
Likes
0
#1
Ok Here is my case

I have installed to my pc an ethernet card and a wi-fi card.I have connect the dreambox to the ethernet card an the laptop is connected through the wifi card.Now I am trying to have both connected to the internet through the desktop pc at the same time but I cant make it work.The bridge connection doesnt make the job.I can have internet connection to one of them (dreambox or laptop) but not to both of them.Have anyone had the same problems?

Ps Before I had 2 ethernet cards and everything was working fine with the bridge connection but now with one ethernet for the dreambox and one wi-fi for the laptop it doest work.

Thanks
 
R

richardp

Regular Member
Messages
126
Likes
0
My Location
pj::
#2
pant said:
Ok Here is my case

I have installed to my pc an ethernet card and a wi-fi card.I have connect the dreambox to the ethernet card an the laptop is connected through the wifi card.Now I am trying to have both connected to the internet through the desktop pc at the same time but I cant make it work.The bridge connection doesnt make the job.I can have internet connection to one of them (dreambox or laptop) but not to both of them.Have anyone had the same problems?

Ps Before I had 2 ethernet cards and everything was working fine with the bridge connection but now with one ethernet for the dreambox and one wi-fi for the laptop it doest work.

Thanks


Hi.
I had a similar situation, I have a lappy downstairs connected via wi-fi to a router upstairs, I had my main Pc upstairs (along with my D:cool: hard wired to the router, now when I wanted to download stuff to the DB I simply disconnected the router cable to pc and connected a crossover cable from the pc to DB , everything worked fine, now I have since moved the DB downstairs with a view to adding a lan card to the lappy and hopefully downloading as usuall, I had same prob as you, either had internet connection and no connection to DB or visa versa, bridging connections just messed everything up, I have had lots of trying help from other members but to cut along story short I discovered I would not be able to get this setup to work unless I bought a ethernet converter which would cost around £50.
I have overcome this by bringing the router downstairs and simply hard wiring the DB to the router via a lan port on router, fortunatley I have a telephone socket behind the tv so I was able to connect modem here then to router, basically this means I can connect to DB wirelessly from lappy via dream flash and also download software/keys via tv as the DB has direct access to internet. (Very cool)
Hope you understand this lot, i'll keep a watch on this thread just incase you want further info.
Richard.
 
john_graydon

john_graydon

Regular Member
Messages
2,219
Likes
3
My Satellite Setup
Azbox premium HD+,Dusty Dreambox 7000s,& Sky HD.
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
#3
pant said:
Ok Here is my case

I have installed to my pc an ethernet card and a wi-fi card.I have connect the dreambox to the ethernet card an the laptop is connected through the wifi card.Now I am trying to have both connected to the internet through the desktop pc at the same time but I cant make it work.The bridge connection doesnt make the job.I can have internet connection to one of them (dreambox or laptop) but not to both of them.Have anyone had the same problems?

Ps Before I had 2 ethernet cards and everything was working fine with the bridge connection but now with one ethernet for the dreambox and one wi-fi for the laptop it doest work.

Thanks
Look into the thread FOR JOHN_GRAYDON further down the list, Begonastick helped me out here you might find something in it. Did You sort the ip addresses out.
 
C

cloggs

Member
Messages
4
Likes
0
#4
I have the same setup because I can't get my WIFI usb to work on the dreambox.

Dreambox to PC via ethernet, PC via wireless to wireless router. Internet connection sharing turned on on the PC. The default gateway for the Dreambox is my PC. In this configuration I can do direct updates / downloads from the internet.

I have a Netgear USB Wifi, anybody out there got this to work on the dreambox
 
pant

pant

Regular Member
Messages
174
Likes
0
#5
I forgot to say that i have a dial up connection.I am not using a router.The setup is this:
PC with:
internal dial up modem
ethernet card (connected with the dreambox with crossover cable)
wifi card (for wireless conection with the wifi card on the laptop)
Aim : To share at the same time the internet connection from pc to laptop and dreambox
 
john_graydon

john_graydon

Regular Member
Messages
2,219
Likes
3
My Satellite Setup
Azbox premium HD+,Dusty Dreambox 7000s,& Sky HD.
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
#6
pant said:
I forgot to say that i have a dial up connection.I am not using a router.The setup is this:
PC with:
internal dial up modem
ethernet card (connected with the dreambox with crossover cable)
wifi card (for wireless conection with the wifi card on the laptop)
Aim : To share at the same time the internet connection from pc to laptop and dreambox
Not great myself on this but FWIW I think you might need a router to share the internet connection.
 
BonceChops

BonceChops

Regular Member
Messages
259
Likes
0
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500, Dreambox 600PVR, Dreambox 7025+, Dreambox 7000, 1m dish on a Moteck SG2100
My Location
NW England
#7
cloggs said:
I have the same setup because I can't get my WIFI usb to work on the dreambox.

Dreambox to PC via ethernet, PC via wireless to wireless router. Internet connection sharing turned on on the PC. The default gateway for the Dreambox is my PC. In this configuration I can do direct updates / downloads from the internet.

I have a Netgear USB Wifi, anybody out there got this to work on the dreambox
It would be much easier to set up if you wired the dreambox to the router not the PC, no bridging needed on the PC then. A router is used to connect 2 networks together, ie network 1 ( LAN ) inside your house, network 2 ( WAN ) the internet. By connecting the dreambox to the PC you are adding an extra step. Also your dreambox could only connect to the internet if the PC is switched on. Always try and connect all your network devices ( PC's laptop's dreambox etc ) directly to the router, (or to a hub/switch that the router is connected too).
 
pant

pant

Regular Member
Messages
174
Likes
0
#8
john_graydon said:
Not great myself on this but FWIW I think you might need a router to share the internet connection.
So it is not possible the ethernet and the wifi card be bridged and share the dial up connection from the internal modem without a router?
 
BGonaSTICK

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Messages
5,145
Likes
0
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
#9
Your PC is acting as the router, but not bridging the two cards correctly.

The neatest way to do it is to swap your WiFi card for a WAP and a hub rather than a router (if you want to carry on using your PC/modem). Hardwire the Dreambox and the WAP to the hub, and let the lappie connect to the WAP. ICS running on PC using internal modem for dial up. Can then swap to xDSL later if required. All on one net/subnet.

You might as well go for a S/H wireless b WAP based on your internet connection. Should cost very little.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=86765&item=5749588311&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Maybe even go the whole way and get the excellent Linksys WAP54G.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=44997&item=5749365016&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

10/100 hubs are 10 a penny S/H

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=11180&item=5749277379&rd=1
 
BGonaSTICK

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Messages
5,145
Likes
0
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
#12
Top