Desperate for replacement

richardsth

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Echostar AD3600IP, 1.8 Prodelin, 18" echostar actuator, Inverto lnb, 4" groundstand
My Location
Halstead, UK
I have (had) an aging irte 1.8 motorised setup which was sitting on a 3" groundstand and has served me well for many years. But recently I had to unbolt the groundstand from the ground due to the waterboard having to fix the mains underneath. This morning due to a killer storm, I found the whole setup sitting upside down in my 4ft deep pond ! The only parts not under water were the actuator and groundstand. When I fished it out, the dish was mangled and distorted. Where can I buy a replacement motorised 1.8 dish to sit on a 3" groundstand for a reasonable price ? Can I bend the old back in to place or it it terminal ? As it was an old dish, I don't mind replacing it with more modern bit's, but I'm seeing some crazy prizes out there.

cheers all. :eek:

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Jeepers, that's some storm damage!

It's very unlikely indeed that you could restore the shape and profile of the dish such that it works as effectively as it should.

Insurance job ? ............... I bet they don't deal with these too often!

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
That's a bad bit of luck Richard, hope you get it sorted.

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
only real replacement is channel master 1.8 if you can find one for a good price or 1.8m precision prime focus dish

what did you watch that needed 1.8 dish ?

as a good 1.2m-1.5m will do you well unless its 7west you was viewing on it

richardsth

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Echostar AD3600IP, 1.8 Prodelin, 18" echostar actuator, Inverto lnb, 4" groundstand
My Location
Halstead, UK
Yep, it's still like a hurricane out there and I can't believe the wind had the power to lift the whole unit up and dump it 6ft. I'll try the insurance route but does it come under contents or building insurance ? In any case the cheapest solid prime focus that I've found today is an irte 1.8 for 500 quid, which is made up of petals. This is about 100 quid more than I paid for this one but came in 6 petals. Is this as good as a solid dish?

richardsth

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Halstead, UK
As I've mentioned in an earlier post, I suffered a catastrophe with my dish to to the weather and it's terminal. I'm trying to find someone who sells a 1.8 solid prime focus dish. I didn't think that it would be that hard, but all I've found so far are either offset, segmented or mesh types. What's happened to all the UK suppliers since I bought mine? Does anyone one have a link to a UK compnay that could sort me out ?

Cheers all.

4dbennett

lifes not a practice run
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SPIDERBOX 9000HD, 1.2 and Humax Foxsat HD,Hitachi L500HDD
Acer Aspire 5315 Lappy
My Location
torfaen south wales
richardsth said:
As I've mentioned in an earlier post, I suffered a catastrophe with my dish to to the weather and it's terminal. I'm trying to find someone who sells a 1.8 solid prime focus dish. I didn't think that it would be that hard, but all I've found so far are either offset, segmented or mesh types. What's happened to all the UK suppliers since I bought mine? Does anyone one have a link to a UK compnay that could sort me out ?

Cheers all.

Fleabay, 1.8 fortec star £200, not bad heh!

regards dave

BoSSpak

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Orbitron MicroMesh 3.6m dish with chaparral polarotor,SMW X-LINE TYPE E LNB.Nokia Dbox1, DM500s.Drake ESR 2000XT + Echostar LT8700
My Location
East of England
4dbennett said:

regards dave

His last dish went flying into his pond but i bet the fortec star dish will fly across the english channel next time lol :-rofl2 Anyhow you can get them from maplins, a 2.4m dish for that kind of money.

On a serious note, fortec star dishes a poorly bulit and flimsy. So save your money and stay clear. Your insurance company should cover the loss. I recall 15 years ago my channel master dish was damaged due to falling tree, i was paid up. Claim made through contents insurance. Oh make sure you get higher quote for replacement, try get a decent make and size, channel master or precision Hope that helps.

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
4dbennett said:

regards dave

lol getting one of them would be a bad decision

channel master 1.8m offset or prodelin dish of same size would be a nice replacement

sat superstore stock them but are expensive

richardsth

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Halstead, UK
Well, I contacted them and they said that I had to provide them with two quotes and pictures of the damage. So far I've only found one company who does the irte 1.8 prime focus. and that was creative Satellite. Are there any others out there who do a 1.8 prime focus dish?

And I'm staying away from the Fortec !

:confused

richardsth

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Halstead, UK
Just an update on this last post. My new 1.8 Prodelin turned up yesterday (whoo Hoo). It was ordered through Sematron and it was shipped in from the States. Now this is how a dish should be built! It's a complete unit with a backing lattice so there's no way that this one is going to flex or get distorted. Not like that flimsy one piece aluminum IRTE dish. I got the dish, feedhorn and polar mount for £1000 including delivery, so I'm a happy bunny. The only thing is that the mount is the same size as the ground post, so either i'll have to weld the two or find a 3.5" one.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Thanks for the update .................. we'll be expecting piccies when it's up and running!

richardsth

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Halstead, UK
If anyone is interested, sadly this dish is up for sale now as im now immigrating. If you do a search on ebay for Prodelin, it should show up.
cheers all.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Where are you emigrating to ?

and does the dish come with the accessories, mount, motor etc ?

richardsth

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Halstead, UK
I'm off to sunny Spain for a change of scenery, but where I'm staying there is no room for this bad boy dish. Its the whole setup thats on offer; dish, mount, actuator and lnb. The whole lot cost me over £1500, so someone will be getting a bargain.

Check out item 250777460898 for pics.

Chris76

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu+ duo with a 300gb hdd also dm500 and tecnomate 5200 with a 1m and 1.1m motorized dishes and minidish fixed to 28.2
My Location
Belfast
richardsth said:
I'm off to sunny Spain for a change of scenery, but where I'm staying there is no room for this bad boy dish. Its the whole setup thats on offer; dish, mount, actuator and lnb. The whole lot cost me over £1500, so someone will be getting a bargain.

Check out item 250777460898 for pics.

Richardsth i just wanna wish the best of luck in spain and in selling the dish...