Desperately seeking satellite advice

Scatter Static

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Human Foxsat HDR
My Location
Froggy Land
Ok currently have a Humax Foxsat HDR with custom firmware installed on it, if it was not for the fact that all HD recordings are encrypted and unplayable on other devices it would almost be perfect.

I need a twin feed "Minimum" PVR capable satellite receiver with inbuilt but upgradable hard drive or USB hard drive. Ability to share recordings over local network and the ability to Schedule events from a web browser would be nice. Another option is terrestrial tuner as well.

Things I don't want, IP services outside of my house etc etc Im Linux skilled but don't know anything about the current breads of satellite receiver.

Have keyboard willing to bash "In Frustration"

Thanks in advance

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
If you search hard enough, there is a patch for the modified firmware that removes the encryption flag.

Scatter Static

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Human Foxsat HDR
My Location
Froggy Land
Any pointers for a Stranger in a strange land........

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
As it happens, I've just discovered I kept a copy on my compooter.

The file type isn't compatible with our Forum Attachments system, so I'll have to PM it to you - which is also a problem as the system won't let members without a handful or two of posts use PM.

Leave it with me and I'll figure summat out.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Go to Post #740 here

(The link to the patch still works - I've just tried it)

When you've unzipped the file, there is a set of destructions. But it's a simple task. Let's face it, I coped!

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
PS It will only work on future recordings, not retrospectively on any you already have.

Scatter Static

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Human Foxsat HDR
My Location
Froggy Land
I installed it but HD recordings are still encrypted considering how dated the Humax Foxsat HDR is it's time for a upgrade I bought it 8 odd years ago.

I would just like to find a more suited box that is NOT a Humax box we have a hdr-1100s here as well I don't plan to buy anymore of their products.

So I'm looking for suggestions that Don't involve Humax. But thanks for the suggestion, I might play with it a bit more tomorrow.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
I would just like to find a more suited box that is NOT a Humax box we have a hdr-1100s here as well I don't plan to buy anymore of their products.

You are not alone, it has been a shadow of the former company for well over a decade.

Scatter Static

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Human Foxsat HDR
My Location
Froggy Land
I have resolved the HD recordings issue
slightly different file.

So I have the perfect box but need a newer one that can do the identical things because modern electronics never last as long as valve radios

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
I have resolved the HD recordings issue
slightly different file.

So I have the perfect box but need a newer one that can do the identical things because modern electronics never last as long as valve radios

Glad to hear you're sorted ....... do you have a link to the file you used, so others can take advantage?

Scatter Static

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Human Foxsat HDR
My Location
Froggy Land
Glad to hear you're sorted ....... do you have a link to the file you used, so others can take advantage?

Obviously I had previously installed the Media server bundle for the Foxsat,

I then installed

Nowsters Patch which is settop-patch_4.0.9utc_mips.opk you put that on the root of a usb key plug the key into the front of the Foxsat HDR whilst it is switched on once the Foxsat mounts the USB key you switch off and then on the Foxsat using the power button on the front of the Foxsat, personally I power cycled it twice for good measure once that is done remove the key and plug the key into a computer. Now on the key should be a file called settop-patch_4.0.9utc_mips.opk.done and a file called settop-patch_4.0.9utc_mips.opk.install.log this confirms the install of the patch.

Then switch off the Foxsat at the rear of the box and switch on and you would be good to go.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Ah, yes.

Probably slightly easier by USB than Telnet.

Not sure why the version I used works on my identical set-up, but hey-ho!