Detecting the LNB feed type

Spike560

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Samsung Sky+ HD box
My Location
London
Hi,

I want a method to easily detect whether the LNB feed into my apartment is single or dual. Is there a way to do this? I have a Sky+ HD box.

Thanks

4dbennett

lifes not a practice run
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SPIDERBOX 9000HD, 1.2 and Humax Foxsat HD,Hitachi L500HDD
Acer Aspire 5315 Lappy
My Location
torfaen south wales
Spike560 said:
Hi,

I want a method to easily detect whether the LNB feed into my apartment is single or dual. Is there a way to do this? I have a Sky+ HD box.

Thanks

For sky+ it has to be a minimum of a dual feed, probably a quad feed, one of your two feeds is for viewing the other is for the recording facility

regards Dave

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Not quite sure what you are asking. If there is a single "F" connector outlet, then it will be a single feed, if there are two "F" connector outlets, then connect both and see if both tuners show signal strength and quality.

If it is only a single connector and you require two, then you need to check with the management company whether there is any redundancy at the head end for an extra feed.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Spike560 said:
Hi,

Thanks

How many F sockets are there at the Wall Plate?

Even if there are two, they may not be both connected.

In which case, you'd just have to check, using your Box.

PS: Both of us who have replied so far appear to have interpreted your question quite differently? I'm not sure who is right - if either of us!

PPS: Posted a microsecond after rolfw, who sees it the same way as I.

Spike560

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Samsung Sky+ HD box
My Location
London
Thanks for the resposes. There is only one F-socket into the apartment.

I wasn't sure if when the guys at Sky said I needed dual feed for Sky Plus to work properly that meant two seperate cables or a single cable that could carry two signals. I guess it means I need two seperate cables coming into the apartment from the dish.

So it looks like I'm out of luck!

Thanks

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Two cables required.

Common problem in Apartment Blocks, I'm afraid O-no

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
It is possible to have a second feed down a single cable, but you need to check on the redundancy at the headend. If there is a spare output, you can use a Stacker/De-Stacker to supply the extra feed, or a Single cable router, although this is generally a more expensive option, it can be used when there is not a redundant/spare feed.