Determing the quality of co-axial cable

al_madhi

Reaction score
My Location
Riyadh - Saudi Arabia
Hi , ppl wondering if anybody can tell how to determine the quality of a co-axial cable , before you buy it . there are a lot of brands manufactrured in many countries . What to look for in determing the quality of the co-axial cable . It is only a cable which consists of four things :-

1 - The black rubber casing

2 - The braided wire

3 - The foam dielectric

4 - The copper conductor

In the above four things what they should be for the best quality co-axial cable . Please advice .

Best Regards

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You missed the copper foil screen. ;)

You can tell to a degree by looking at the cable, but you really need to look at the manufacturers specification.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Have a look here for some insight into identifying good, or otherwise, cable.

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
Sat systems need "sat grade" coax between lnb and receiver. This is specially designed to have low attenuation in the "sat if" band, 1-2Ghz. Standard UHF only tv cable won't work at these frequencies, the signal only "travels" a few feet!

Most sat cable is "distinguishable" by a solid (metal foil) outer conductor, outside the outer conductor wire braid, UHF only cable rarely has this. Also, many sat cables have air spaced dielectric, ie holes running through the polythene inner insulation. However, this is getting rarer, since sat cable is now often waterproofed by using a "foam" inner insulator, which looks just like UHF cable, so the foil is the best way to tell.

Only way to be certain which is either the type number - printed on the outside - or test it by actually using!

Standard sat cable is ct100 "grade", with attenuation of 28dB/100m at 1.7 Ghz. Lower loss types are available, eg ct125, ct165, etc, and special types for underground burial, fire resistance, etc.

www.cavel.it/html/e_manuale_1.htm#top .

These are similar to ct types, "dg100" is "ct100":

http://www.cavel.it/html/e_digitale_x.htm .