Developed an LNB fault already :(

kroc_kroc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TV: Panasonic 42PX60 DVD Recorder: Panasonic DMR EX85 AV Amp: Yamaha DSP Z9 Front Speakers: Monitor Audio GR60's Centre: Monitor Audio GR Centre Rear Speakers: 2 x Monitor Audio GR Centres Sub: BK Monolith DF [ No satelite equipment yet ]
My Location
NW London
Just have my motorised dish up and running for a week now and my Technomate 6900 is displaying "LNB Fault" (flashing on screen). Everything was going great until this.

I've checked all the obvious things, like all the connections from LNB to receiver and they are all intact.

Equipment (all new):

Moteck SG2100 DiSEqC 1.2 Motor
LNB 0.2 strong
Fracarro 1 Metre (Steel) Dish
18" T&K
Technomate 6900 HD

There was a bit of rain just before it went – it can't be the rain though? I was also doing a bit of playing around with some fine tuning – is it possible to fry them if I choose the wrong frequency? There were only 2 options in the menu and I was just seeing if I got a better picture with the alternative frequency. I was also playing around with the multiple LNB menus – could this have caused it?

As already mentioned in another thread I am a total newbie so if I need to change the LNB, is it difficult? Can I mess up the picture. The installer didn't fit the screw which holds the LNB in place – could this have messed it up?

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
LNBs are very cheap to replace and easy to fit.

You can't muck them up by selecting the wrong frequency. If the connector has not been sealed properly though, the water getting in could cause a short.

I also don't think you could damage it by playing about with the LNB menus, did you put them back as they were?
Robbo:)

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
The LNb fault appearing may possibly suggest an intermittent short circuit along the line. Could well be the wet OR a F connector not making connection and shorting out on the LNB OR Motor.

If you do opt to change the LNb then:

> Send the dish to 1W THOR
> Replace the LNb and set it straight OR vertical.

Whilst up there, check and remake all F terminations.

SM :)

kroc_kroc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TV: Panasonic 42PX60 DVD Recorder: Panasonic DMR EX85 AV Amp: Yamaha DSP Z9 Front Speakers: Monitor Audio GR60's Centre: Monitor Audio GR Centre Rear Speakers: 2 x Monitor Audio GR Centres Sub: BK Monolith DF [ No satelite equipment yet ]
My Location
NW London
If the connector has not been sealed properly though, the water getting in could cause a short.

I think this is the problems as there's no sign of self-amalgamating tape :(

This doesn't fill me with confidence in getting the person back to correct the problem.

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
Does it have a good quality rubber boot covering as then there is no need for tape?
It could be that you are just unlucky and the LNB was faulty.
Did you buy your equipment from the installer or buy it separately?
Contact your installer and tell him your no longer getting a picture, he should diagnose the problem free of charge as it could be his fault.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
I agree, If the installer hasn't even done something as simple as to seal the connector, has he done the rest of the connections properly?

I would be tempted to re-make all connections from scratch and see if the problem goes away, and if not bypass the motor, and if that doesn't cure it, replace the LNB.

kroc_kroc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
NW London
I bought all the equipment from High Definition (site sponsor: www.highdefinitionuk.com) and they recommended the installer. I'll contact him and see what he says. it just seems like a coincidence that as soon as it starts to rain I get this "LNB fault" message and nothing works :( I was looking forward to seeing how my new dish performs in the rain.

Update:

Just spoke to him and apparently he forgot to put the tape on. he had a problem with his meter which sidelined him for a bit and then he apparently forgot. He said he'd pop over later today so i hope he sticks to his word.

kroc_kroc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
NW London
Here's some pics – does this look like a good job (apart from the problem)?

Has the LNB been installed correctly?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You'll need to upload the pictures, as we have disabled image code.

They weren't loading in any case.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
kroc_kroc said:
Here's some pics – does this look like a good job (apart from the problem)?

Has the LNB been installed correctly?

You asked if it looks a good job..... The answer is No it doesn't !

Top K bracket shouldn't be installed and fixed that close to the window ledge and the brickwork will be weak, also applies to the T part of the bracket arrangement.

T&K brackets are an overkill big time.

Wall fixings look like M8 coach screws - not strong enough.

Not up to CAI standards anyway but hey as long as it works.:-rofl2

You did ask the question.......

kroc_kroc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
NW London
T&K brackets are an overkill big time.

What brackets would you have used?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Have removed the links as they don't work, please upload the photos.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Yes Rolf, the links worked until they were removed.

@ Kroc Kroc, the same type but not so long.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
No they didn't for me, gave page not found, but anyway, we don't want links to images, as they end up disappearing from the thread when people move them on the image hosts.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Upload the images Kroc kroc :D

kroc_kroc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
NW London
They were uploaded onto my personal site so would be permanent. anyway, here they are.

I would like to know what brackets would be ideal because at the moment I feel like ripping it all down and getting someone else to do it.

The problem is I looked through the CAI directory and phoned a few members in my local area but they wouldn't do it for various reasons. Two said they don't do motorised dishes, one said they will only install if I use a Fortec Passion receiver and another wanted £300 for a Triax 1.1m dish.

I was also annoyed with the way it looked that's why I only posted the pictures when I had a problem. Didn't realise it would be so difficult to find someone to install it – what do I do now.

And to top it all off the bloke who installed it siad he'd come over to fix it but hasn't turned up and now his phone is switched off.

kroc_kroc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
NW London
Sorry, here they are – other comments welcomed. Don't mind if they are harsh – I'll probably get someone else to do it again :(

Attachments

• IMG_1507.jpg
    IMG_1507.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1511.jpg
    IMG_1511.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1514.jpg
    IMG_1514.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1515.jpg
    IMG_1515.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 54

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Not to much of an issue to worry about and no need to rip it down lol :D

The T&K just need to be fitted correctly and possibly 12 Inch version used depending on what part of the arc you want to see.

Maybe Rolf (admin) might comment as he is an installer too.

Chin up

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
The dish looks good but can you get a few close ups.
Did you get to measure the dish, and was it a 1 Metre dish?
Once repaired I'd be intereted in the signal quality levels on the weaker channels, as the reports on the 85cm dish seem good.

kroc_kroc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
NW London
Up and running again – apparently problem with the motor???

The dish is 1m. What channel shall I test Mickha?

Can get some close ups when I've tuned in all my stats again. Is there an easier way to do this rather than have to do it manually every time?