DG 120+ and Declination Angle

G0JCN

G0JCN

My Satellite Setup
Home brew PC, Fortec Star FSCI-5100 plus + ultra sat RX. triax 110 motorised dish
My Location
Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire
Hi all,

So how do I set up this motor, I have just unpacked it and I am reading Declination Angle. What is that?? If I set my latitude and then look at the table it gives 7.3 Declination, the instructions say set to 40 minus declination angle, ie 40-7.3=32.7 ok that was easy, but if i would point a static dish at Intelsat ( 1W for set up) I would need an elevation of 30.6 is this 30.6 the same, or near enough the same as the 32.7?

Sorry if I sound stupid but I want to get it right.

Thanks

Martin

rolfw

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Loads of posts on this Martin, but bear in mind that your motor arm is probably tilting downward slightly, so the declination angle will take account of this. :)

G0JCN

G0JCN

My Satellite Setup
Home brew PC, Fortec Star FSCI-5100 plus + ultra sat RX. triax 110 motorised dish
My Location
Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire
Yeh I've been reading some of them and it looks as if everyone is as confused as I am because I have seen no clear explanation yet.

My guess is that the 40 degrees on the sheet is just an example and that in reality the set up should be <my static dish angle (30.64) minus the declination angle (7.47) > giving an antenna elevation setting of 30.64 minus 7.47, 23.17 on the dish scale.

That makes sense I think, anyone want to help with a different interpritation, please......

Martin

3 HOURS LATER.......

OK That was wrong ............... the 40 minus declination angle DID ACTUALY WORK. I cant belive how easy it was to set up, but it IS set up and working. :-))
GREAT