Dial-Up Networking - NTL World

w hole

My Location
uk
Hello All

My ISP is NTL via a BT Line and Adapter.

I recently tried installing their New 'Improved' Dialler a couple of days ago.

Bit of a disaster - the new software seems to be quite intrusive.

Anyway I uninstalled it and set up my original DUN again using the 0800 number.

Trouble is, now Dial-Up Networking won't 'remember the User Name or Password.

I have entered it sever times and checked the Remember Password Box, but each time I try to connect I get a Windows Pop UP Box showing my Windows Login as the User Name, and nothing in the Password Box.

My guess is that the installation did a bit of jigger pokerey with the Registration, but can anyone offer a solution?

I have tried unistalling and re-installing Dial-Up Networking via Add-Remove Programmes, but it just seems to switch it on and off, as the old DUN details re-apear after each time.

Any suggestions most welcome.

Regards

W. Hole

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Which Operating System are you using WH, I had a similar problem in 98se and got round it, just trying to remember how.

w hole

My Location
uk
Hello Rolf

I am using ME.

I posted a simmilar message in the NTHELL forum, and got a swift reply from Richard, pointing me to a Microsoft Support page which made refence to 'Client For Microsft Networks'

I read the article, and althought it does not have specific intructions for ME, it somehow pointed me in the correct direction I think.

I right clicked the 'NET' Icon on my Desktop, and under Properties I found reference to 'Client For Microsft Networks'.

This was already showing as the Primary Logon, but after I had clicked the Drop Down Arrow to see the other optins, and then Cancelled, a Windows Pop UP appeared and flashed for about 1/2 a second, gues it was changing configurations somewhere.

Now when I add the details to the DUN, they seem to stay there - will now try Switching Off and Re-booting to see if they are going to stick.

I notice you have an NtlWorld address, are you on Dial-Up?

Regards

W. H.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
No WH, its not NTL, I'm on BTOpenworld ADSL.

w hole

My Location
uk
Hello R.

Yes of course - I think it must be Roy Carmen on the Feed sites.

Regards

W.H.

Gone Me