Difference between analogue and digital?

kirilcho

Reaction score
Hi,

I've been trying to set up my dish and SS2 card with the rotor for ages and zero, so far. I am beginning to wonder whether the SS2 is faulty. When I get no signal, am I supposed to get at least scrambled picture or something of that sort, or that's not possible for digital receivers? Apart from that, how can I calculate the elevation angle of the rotor. I read other posts, however they were a big ambiguous. In the manual of the motor, it says that the Lattitute figure should be infact the elevation angle. However in a post I read that this was not the case. I've been trying to set this up for a month now and it hasn't worked. I really want to finish it before end of half term, so I'll be dead grateful to anyone who could help me out.

Cheers.

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
If you are using ProgDVB then you just get a blank screen if no signal.
(what are you using ?)
But if you go into the scan transponder option then you will get a signal
and quality indicator from 0 to 100%.
What I do is put the pc screen where I can see it with the scan option selected
and use the magnify option on my graphics card to make the bars as big as poss. (I think windows has something similar in the Accessebility options)
then fine tune as and when.

I know you have done a bit of digging but have you seen this?
http://www.satellites.co.uk/php-bin/forum/showthread.php?t=28389&page=1&pp=15&highlight=calculate+elevation

It may prove useful.

Don't give up..;)

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
kirilcho said:
Hi,

I've been trying to set up my dish and SS2 card with the rotor for ages and zero, so far. I am beginning to wonder whether the SS2 is faulty. When I get no signal, am I supposed to get at least scrambled picture or something of that sort, or that's not possible for digital receivers? Apart from that, how can I calculate the elevation angle of the rotor. I read other posts, however they were a big ambiguous. In the manual of the motor, it says that the Lattitute figure should be infact the elevation angle. However in a post I read that this was not the case. I've been trying to set this up for a month now and it hasn't worked. I really want to finish it before end of half term, so I'll be dead grateful to anyone who could help me out.

Cheers.
There is also a dish setup FAQ on the main satellites.co.uk forum page.

There are two 'up/down' adjustments to be made to your dish/motor combo. The motor adjustment is fixed based on your latitude which you must know/find out. You can get it from punching your postcode into streetmap.co.uk, and clicking a conversion link on the resulting page. The other, the dish elevation adjustment, can also be calculated, but once you have the motor fixed, you can fiddle with the latter until you find the satellite your after. You have a MUCH better chance of doing this with a sat meter. Get one. You'l be glad you did.

kirilcho

Reaction score
Lancelot said:
If you are using ProgDVB then you just get a blank screen if no signal.
(what are you using ?)
But if you go into the scan transponder option then you will get a signal
and quality indicator from 0 to 100%.
What I do is put the pc screen where I can see it with the scan option selected
and use the magnify option on my graphics card to make the bars as big as poss. (I think windows has something similar in the Accessebility options)
then fine tune as and when.

I know you have done a bit of digging but have you seen this?
http://www.satellites.co.uk/php-bin/forum/showthread.php?t=28389&page=1&pp=15&highlight=calculate+elevation

It may prove useful.

Don't give up..;)
Good idea, but the scan transpoder function asks you to press Scan every 10 seconds. How do you avoid that?