Difference between Quad LNB and Quatro LNB

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
What is the advantage for using a Quatro LNB Plus 4x4 multiswitch or Quad LNB, if you have only four digital receivers?

timbo86

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7020, CM 1.2 with invacom quad c120 & channelmaster feedhorn.
My Location
Belfast, Northern Ireland
You could add as many stb as like like with the right head end set up. But Quattro set ups are costly, were as a quad lnb sould cost around thirty quid.

Or you could use an octto lnb for around fiffty quid.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
In short, less cabling :)

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Thanks timbo86 and satelliteman. :)
But I still don't get it.
I was told that quatro LNB + 4x4 switch is a better system than quad LNB.
Surely the cabling is easier with the quad LNB. :confused

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I would like to hear the justification of that, as I can't see any reason why it would be so.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
rolfw said:
I would like to hear the justification of that, as I can't see any reason why it would be so.

Thanks rolfw. :)
This is exactly what I am looking for.
Perhaps with the quatro LNB it gives better future distribution flexibility, if # of receivers exceeds 4 , using another multiswitch than 4x4 ?

canofan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Amiko Alien2 Dual Tuner; CM120w/Inverto quattro on7°W; Triax 2X110, LNBFs:3BEST 1 quattro 13E 1 quattro 19.2E 1 single 28.2E multiswitches for the quattros and a satrix disecq 1.0.
My Location
Brussels Belgium
A quattro allows you to use individual line amplifiers that are powered by the multiswitch instead of by the receiver.
Those installations that need a line amplifier are better served by a quattro.
Besides, as the switching of the quad switches the local oscillator to the correct polarity it also varies the supply voltage to the LNB port.
With the quattro the voltage on the LNB port is not varied and the polarity/22khz emitted by the receiver serve only as a signal to the multiswitch with no current.
Everytime the receiver is turned off the Quad goes dead and is reactivated when turning the receiver on again.
The multiswitch being on continuously does not subject the LNB to these changes of state.
This implies longer life for the LNB and the receiver.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Well that's certainly the case, just swap out the switch for one with more outlets, but a quad LNB suffices for the average household needs.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
canofan said:
A quattro allows you to use individual line amplifiers that are powered by the multiswitch instead of by the receiver.
Those installations that need a line amplifier are better served by a quattro.
Besides, as the switching of the quad switches the local oscillator to the correct polarity it also varies the supply voltage to the LNB port.
With the quattro the voltage on the LNB port is not varied and the polarity/22khz emitted by the receiver serve only as a signal to the multiswitch with no current.
Everytime the receiver is turned off the Quad goes dead and is reactivated when turning the receiver on again.
The multiswitch being on continuously does not subject the LNB to these changes of state.
This implies longer life for the LNB and the receiver.

Thanks canofan for the post.
I am beginning to see the light, especially the bit about the long life as a result of having the same voltage and polarization for the four sections of the quatro LNB, and without subjecting the LNB to constant changes as a result of frequent zapping.
I also like the bit about the possibility of expanding to more than four receivers using a 4x8 multiswitch (if there is one ?), as the LNB would be situated in a difficult to access location and replacing it can cost a lot of money for the professional installer.

canofan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Amiko Alien2 Dual Tuner; CM120w/Inverto quattro on7°W; Triax 2X110, LNBFs:3BEST 1 quattro 13E 1 quattro 19.2E 1 single 28.2E multiswitches for the quattros and a satrix disecq 1.0.
My Location
Brussels Belgium
HB13DISH said:
Thanks canofan for the post.
I am beginning to see the light, especially the bit about the long life as a result of having the same voltage and polarization for the four sections of the quatro LNB, and without subjecting the LNB to constant changes as a result of frequent zapping.
I also like the bit about the possibility of expanding to more than four receivers using a 4x8 multiswitch (if there is one ?), as the LNB would be situated in a difficult to access location and replacing it can cost a lot of money for the professional installer.
You are welcome, you have helped me in the past as well.
There are reasonably priced multiswitches for 4,6,8,12 and 16 receivers, mostly on german online sites.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Hm, I can see where the stabilized voltage may perhaps theoretically extend the life on an LNB and come in useful if line amps are required, but not entirely sure by how much though and whether such a saving would be value for money.

The difference in price between a quad LNB against a quattro LNB and a multiswitch (if only going for four outlets) would be considerable, probably to the degree that it would need to at least double the life of the LNB, purely to break even on the deal.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
rolfw said:
Hm, I can see where the stabilized voltage may perhaps extend the life on an LNB and come in useful if line amps are required, but not entirely sure by how much though and whether such a saving would be value for money.

The difference in price between a quad LNB against a quattro LNB and a multiswitch (if only going for four outlets) would be considerable, probably to the degree that it would need to at least double the life of the LNB, purely to break even on the deal.

In my case, I am willing to pay a lot more for a longer life LNB, just to avoid the replacement cost.
I am sure that anybody with an easy access to the LNB and a DIY replacement would find a quad LNB is a cheaper choice.

canofan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Brussels Belgium
_http://satserver.de/catalog/default.php?cPath=32_35
using this one supplier as a reference in the effort towards other things being equal:
INVACOM QUAD C 120 LNB QDF-031 0.3dB = Euros 73.95
INVACOM QUATTRO C 120 LNB QTF-031 0.3dB = 50.95
SATMATRIX MULTISWITCH MS 5/4 S 4 RECEIVER= 48.95
The satmatrix is an excellent multiswitch

The quattro/multiswitch
option costs Euros 99.90
The quad solution 73.95
difference Euros = 25.95

You probably would agree that the difference is acceptable.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
canofan said:
_http://satserver.de/catalog/default.php?cPath=32_35
using this one supplier as a reference in the effort towards other things being equal:
INVACOM QUAD C 120 LNB QDF-031 0.3dB = Euros 73.95
INVACOM QUATTRO C 120 LNB QTF-031 0.3dB = 50.95
SATMATRIX MULTISWITCH MS 5/4 S 4 RECEIVER= 48.95
The satmatrix is an excellent multiswitch

The quattro/multiswitch
option costs Euros 99.90
The quad solution 73.95
difference Euros = 25.95

You probably would agree that the difference is acceptable.

Thanks. I agree wholeheartedly. :)
Another point worth taking into account is that as the multiswitch is usually used indoors and is not subjected to the extreme climate conditions (cold, hot, rain, sun, etc.) then it's life span is probably much longer than either LNB.
Therefore if the quatro LNB goes, the replacement cost is only 50.95 Euro (for the lucky ones who can replace it themselves). :)