Difference between: Signal Quality Vs Level ?

URPradhan

Crazy Techie
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
AMD PC, Skystar2 2.6D, Inverto 0.2dB Single Universal Ku-Band LNB, NUCLEUS 100cm Solid Dish
My Location
Maharastra, Hindustan
Friends

What is the terms Signal Level and Signal Quality defines properly ?

I'm using 3 different DVB-S applications.

1. progDVB (82,82)
2. MyTheater (78,87)
3. DVB Dream (83,100)

Both the signal level and quality (for same channel) are different with the above 3 different applications respectively (see the figures against the apps) :(

Can anybody plz explain what are the terms exactly and why they are different with different apps ?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
These aps are not calibrated for signal measurement, so just use them for what they are designed, a rough guide. :)

URPradhan

Crazy Techie
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
AMD PC, Skystar2 2.6D, Inverto 0.2dB Single Universal Ku-Band LNB, NUCLEUS 100cm Solid Dish
My Location
Maharastra, Hindustan
rolfw said:
These aps are not calibrated for signal measurement, so just use them for what they are designed, a rough guide. :)

... then how we can able to know exactly the actual signal level and quality ?
can I trust to SetUpPC the original s/w of Skystar2) ? because I'm using SS2 not any STB receiver.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You cannot measure the exact level, unless you are prepared to invest in a spectrum analyser, or at the least a calibrated satellite signal strength meter.

What you can do is make an fairly accurate comparison, providing you use the same software to measure all satellites.

mehra

SATELLITE SNIFFER
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2 Dish Tv Zenega STBs | 1 DM 800 HD Clone | 180 cm TX Rx Fibre offset Dish Antenna |
My Location
india
and sir two queries from my side

1- what is the difference between signal strength and quality.
2- why do two different STBs show different level of signal and strength on the same setup.