Digibox

C

colemaa

hi,
I am new to this and was wondering where i could get a good digibox from I dont want to spent much on it.
Will I be able to recive FTA channels in it. Please advise me as to which reciver is the best and where i would be able to get it from
Thanks

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If you are in the UK or immediately surrounding countries there is no great difference in basic performance of the different makes. There are added features on some, the Sony for example has a digital sound output.

There may be a difference in the reliability of some boxes, the older Amstrads are probably best avoided, but can go on and on if well ventilated.

To obtain these boxes you can try http://www.qxl.co.uk http://www.ebay.co.uk http://www.loot.co.uk , but there also a lot of second hand sellers who will offer limited warrantees on their sales.

Rolf

PS. You will of course be able to receive Free To Air channels, but will require a BBC FTV card (available free to UK TV licence holders)to view the Free To View channels BBC1 etc.

C

colemaa

Hello again,
I can get an Amstrad DRX100 Sky digibox for £85
NEW. is this good or not i only want a simple one. Will it last? and can I also get the ITV channels or will i need a different card.

THANKS again

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The DRX100 is the very first one and can suffer from tuner and power supply problems, if it's brand new it must have been sat in the box for at least 2 years, it will also be very sloooooooooooow.

Have a look on Loot, there are loads on there, I would pay a maximum for an Amstrad DRX100 of £50, even if brand new.

Rolf

schematic

Reaction score
You can receive ITV1 with the FTA card but not ITV2, there are a few FTA chanels on 28.2 IE: bbc ch4 ch5 etc, If you want to receive FTA channels from other satelites then you will only be able to store upto 50 and they can only have a symbol rate of either 22000/27500, personnaly i wouldn't bother with the amstrad for £85 i have seen litteraly hundreds where the tuner has failed in sometimes just weeks.

Hope this helps

regards

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
@ Schematic, sorry to sound pedantic, but BBC1 etc are Free To View, not Free To Air, the former requires a viewing card, the latter does not.

Rolf

C

colemaa

Thanks schematic for your help, which Digibox would you suggest. You sound like you know what you are talking about!
I dont want to pay much for it ?? Where do you get yours from or where would you suggest getting a cheap one from ??

THANKS

schematic

Reaction score
@rolfw, yes your right, sorry for any confusion.

@colemaa, I personally don't have a digibox but i have picked up a few for friends etc, i usually go for models such as panasonic & pace and i just recently picked up a sony for £25, i go around bootsales radio rallies and ask people who got sky but are out of contract and don't have a subscription, sometimes they will sell the box just to go out for a few beers :-)

regards

buzzbomb

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
protek 9600ip Openbox S9 HD 1.8m precision dish and standalone 36v positioner.
My Location
scotland and greece
hi m8. why not try one of the advert only papers ie ad trader etc. I picked up a pace for £25 and it works perfectly. If necessary use the free wanted section and I'm sure you will get plenty of offers.