Digisat Pro & Cable loss

benko5009

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini 125cm, SMART Titanium 0,2 LNB, motorized, Manhattan Plaza, Vantage 8000 HD, SkyStar HD2 and Hauppauge HVR-4000 card
My Location
Budapest, HUNGARY
Perhaps somebody has some experiences using this instrument.

I've just bought a Digisat Pro.

Due to the last days strong wind my dish needed a realigning, and
using this instrument it was easy !

My questions:

Can it be used for a kind of measuring the loss through coax cable ?

I have roughly 25-30m of coax from LNB to receiver.

1.)
Results at the LNB (after realigning):

Signal: 99,0 - 100
(BTW: in what unit ??)

17.3 - 17.7 V

84 mA

2.)
Results at the receiver:

Signal: 59.1 - 59.5

17.9 - 18.5 V

84 mA

What is your opinion:

Could it be normal this high lost/difference (around 40) in signal ?

Or it shows that there are some problems with the cable ?
Should be changed to a new/better one ?

Balazs

olisun

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
, Fibo Gregorian 1.2mtr, Skystar 2
My Location
Hounslow
I had a similar problem with a long cable and the digisat pro meter. I changed the cable to the RG6 from Maplin and the readings improved in my receiver.

Previously when I connected my meter near the receiver the meter would report signal at less than 50 and after the cable replacement, it shows around 80 in the meter.

When the meter is connected near the LNB, some of the stronger sats like 19.2 etc report very high signal.

benko5009

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini 125cm, SMART Titanium 0,2 LNB, motorized, Manhattan Plaza, Vantage 8000 HD, SkyStar HD2 and Hauppauge HVR-4000 card
My Location
Budapest, HUNGARY
Thank you Olisun !

It seems I have to change the cable.

Anyway, before it I'll perform some additional test.

My plan is the following: I'll take a new, good cable in 30m length, and connect it to the LNB.
Than, I'll check the values at the two end of this cable. If the loss is similar to the value measured at the old cable than the old one is OK.
If not, ie.: significantly smaller the difference between the two end that means there are problems with the old cable.

Balazs

intrepi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Viewsat Ultra, Stab MP 02 DiSEqC 1.0 to 1.2 code convertor for Stab HH 120 motor drive, Winegard 1 meter dish with an Invacom quad LNB
My Location
British Columbia Canada
This is something you might want to consider, when you are using two or more different meters, receivers or combination thereof, you have to realize the calibration will not be exactly the same unless the calibration of all meters is done and calibrated to the same reference point. This doesn't have to be zero or any particular number but whatever number is chosen the signal level must be calibrated to read the same for a given number.