Digital+ and others

Flipit

Reaction score
Newbie so please be gentle.

I want to get Digital+ (nothing illegal, I have family in spain so I can get a valid subsription) only problem is I don't know how.. I know that it's broadcast on Hispasat and Astra but different encyrptions etc. How will I know which one the card is valid for ? What CAM should I use? I've heard the Dragon CAMs are able to do NDS as well (may get sky some day !) Can you use two cards in the same CAM ? (i.e.future proof)
What size dish do I need ? Basicaly what should I be diong to get this off the ground. BTW I have an HDTV so I was going to use a FIREDTV-S if that makes any differnce ?

Any advise ??? anyone ??

Flipit

sonc

Reaction score
If you get a valid subscription, don't you get a receiver and cam as well? I didn't think they supplied cards only?

An official card should (?) work with Hispasat and Astra, but there again it might depend on the address in Spain you supply.

Dish size - where do you live? 80cm should do for South UK.
I believe (?) an Aston cam will work with an official card.
Hope that helps a bit.

chrislloret

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Beautiful Catalunya,Spain
If you get a sub, you will get the Astra one. The only way to get Hispasat is,if a D+ technician says that Astra is not possible. (I am such a techno guy). The cards are not interchangable (Astra-Hispa). On Hispasat you got Nagra2,on Astra Cardmageddon,a Nagra tunneled Seca2 coding. You will also get a reciever and you will have to pay 6Euros hire fee,even if you do not want it. The only cam that will work without problems is Aston 1.07. The reciever comes with spanish software only and similar to the $KY box you can not change the order of channels. (Well you can, but its very complicated and will not survive a powercut) Needless to say,its a sh... reciever but there you go,in GB you have to put up with the sky box.

The reciever is not yours to keep,even if you cancel your sub,it can take 3-5 YEARS!!!! and they ask for there reciever back,or a 400Euro fine. We still collect VIA DIGITAL recievers from 1999!!!, the company is not in existence for the last 2 years! So better hold on to your reciever.

The signal should be no problem anywhere in England with a 60cm dish,in Scottland a bit more.

Greetings
Chris

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Have to say that the easiest way to get D+ on Hispasat is illegally. We don't have a problem discussing that here if you are interested. We won't give you the tools to do it, but discussing it is fine.

You don't say where you are, but the UK gets a nice signal off the European beam.

Flipit

Reaction score
Thanks for the help.

I live in London not sure whether I need a 60 or 80cm if I go for Hispasat

It sounds like for all the hassle of subscribing legally, they just don't want anyone to ! I'll be looking at the alternatives ;-) Let's discuss...

BTW. I know Antenna3 and Telecino used to be on Via but since Via died and Canal+ took it over I can find any info on whether they are still available. These are the two channels that I realy want as my partner is spanish. Not really interested in Sport or movie channels or some local TV station in the middle of nowhere.

If www.cybertelly.com turns out to be any good ... wait and see.. It may solve my problem, as someone may share those channels from spain.

Thanks
Flipit

chrislloret

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Beautiful Catalunya,Spain
Antenna3 and Tele5 are not available anywhere and of course also could not be streamed as they are in no box. Hispasat works fine at the moment,in London 60cm is normally enough,but nobody here knows for how long.
Considering that you will have to buy a reciever and/or cam for quite some money and then not have the garantie that it keeps on working,the sub way is the safe one.
A lot of people see the "free" channels and are happy as long as it goes,but simply switch to a nother satellite when the sport/movies/mature content goes but another provider "opens up". If you are really interested in a specific package,the sub is the only way. Of course,there is no harm in subscribing to the basic channels but getting the lot thru your system as long as it lasts.
I have the basic D+ without C+ or movies or sport,as I like simply the entertainment (FOX,AXN,Discovery,and the best entertainment of all,FOX "NEWS") but apreciate of course the full pack at the moment.......

Greetings
Chris

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
If you want to go legit, you may be able to swap out the cráp receiver for a better box which will take the pukka card. I really don't know how much hassle it is to do it properly, but if you want full 24/7 viewing and are prepared to pay, then that's the way to go.

While it's 'free', it might be good to sample it and see what you think though.

sonc

Reaction score
You can also be legit by just picking up the free to air channels.

I can only pick up Astra and Hotbird, but can get e.g. TVE International, 24 horas, TeleMadrid, Andalucia TV, TV Galicia, TV Colombia, and there's a FTA channel from Venezuela, Cuba and Chile. I'm not saying they're any good, but some programmes are ok.

I think there are a lot more spanish FTAs on Hispasat. Have a look on Lyngsat under 'Free TV'.

Flipit

Reaction score
OK, if I buy a FireDTV (PC card as I have a HTPC) and want to get Canal+/Digital+ ...lets just say I don't want to subscribe. What Cam do I need. Do I need Keys/Card or does the Cam just unencrypt. If i need keys how do I get them on a card... what card ?

Can anyone recommend a good PCI card that will take a CAM ?

So far I know I need at least a 60cm dish pointing at Hispasat.

Thanks, though to everyone who have commeted, all good and usefull as it helps me learn.

Flipit