Digital Radio

Shahid

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sony KLV26HG2 LCD TV, Humax HD-CI 2000 on a Fixed Sky/Astra/Hotbird.
Cerebro Card. Infinity USB Phonix. Dragon Cam v4.1 w/Firecrypt & Loader Card.
My Location
London UK
AS a radio nut, digital radio's are now coming into the market.
Please can some expert explain what is ....(Integrated DAC: 24-bit 96 kHz stereo DAC)

What does it do?
Some digital radio tuners have it some don't.

Is it essential to have in a digital tuner?

Many thanks
Shahid

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
[updated:LAST EDITED ON 09-Dec-01 AT 10:13 AM (GMT)]As far as I know Shahid it stands for "Digital Analogue Converter" and is effectively a modem, it translates the digital signal to analogue for the radio to work with. Most standard CD players have an inbuilt DAC, but some of the really top of the range units use a separate module.

I would guess that all of the radios have one, but perhaps the quality and performance of the module is worth shouting about on some more than others.

The problem with acronyms is that they can have different meanings depending in which industry they are being used. If anyone knows a different version of the above please comment. Politely Please :)

Rolf

Shahid

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London UK
[updated:LAST EDITED ON 09-Dec-01 AT 10:40 PM (GMT)]Does anyone know what sort of DAC/quality be in this first ever portable DAB radio. I intend to buy one this Wednesday.

The link for it is

www.grab1quick.com

Many Thanks
Shahid

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The only problem I can foresee with DAB radio is "Garbage in Garbage out" No matter how good the receiver, if the local radio station is converting and over compressing a bad analogue signal the digital sound will be crap as well, no matter how good the digital strength and quality is.

Rolf

Shahid

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London UK
>The only problem I can foresee with DAB radio is "Garbage in
>Garbage out" No matter how good the receiver, if the local
>radio station is converting and over compressing a bad
>analogue signal the digital sound will be crap as well, no
>matter how good the digital strength and quality is.
>
>
>Rolf

I mean the digital broadcasts which are coming to the skydigibox radio channels will be thesame ones I presume coming to the DAB Radio.

Shahid

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
In the short term I would guess so, but I believe the compression techniques are slightly different for DAB.

Rolf