Digital receiver IR query - discrete power and alternate codes?

S

Stargazer

Having passed on my Pace DTVA to a relative I am now looking for a replacement receiver for my own home cinema system.

My main criteria is being able to use macros on my touchscreen remote to operate the receiver. Currently, I have macros that switch on the various items (TV, amplifier, source) and do the audio/video switching needed. For the macros to work reliably however, I need to use discrete power codes (i.e. a code that only switches on or off as opposed to the "toggle" on-and-off codes typically used) - without these, problems arise since a macro to switch units on may well end up switching some off if repeated.

In many cases, a workaround can be used (e.g. many DVD players switch on when they receive a "Play" code allowing for the hack of Play=Power On, Play+Power Toggle=Power Off; another example are Sky Digi-moneysuckers where Sky=Power On, Sky+Power=Power Off).

The Pace DTVA had none of this (I even created and tested IR codes corresponding to the 222 unused codes to no avail) and subsequently was a PITA to operate.

Does anyone know of a digital receiver that does offer discrete power or a workaround? I have emailed various manufacturers but have so far only received a reply from Pioneer ("no").

Also, I would like to be able to use a second receiver of the same make with my system - to avoid both being operated by the same remote this would require the ability to set alternate IR codes for the second unit (some VCRs have this ability). Again, does anyone know of a receiver with this option?

Thanks in advance for any replies...

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Errr - Tuesday ?

Far beyond me Im afraid

I remember a number of these multi remotes (not necessarily the touch type) have a facility for slave learning, rather than four number codes.

It may be that learning of the remote - or maybe sampling of the codes via a sensor tiesd to an oscilloscope - might liberate simply the part of the pulse required to operate the system as you desire

S

Stargazer

The Marantz (which is based on the Philips Pronto) does learn codes from other remotes by using an IR sensor. It is also possible, using PC software, to view this in hex and edit it to create new codes (this can be used to gain access to engineering functions on TVs for example). This is what I tried with the Pace DTVA (if anyone is interested, PM me for the results of this).

However this can only exploit functions that exist on the device in the first place. There is a dedicated forum on RemoteCentral for finding these codes, but this forum seems to have more expertise with UK digital receivers, hence my post here.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I haven't played around with many of the DTRs, so can't say whether there is one available with a separate on and off function.

I would guess that with one that could utilize any number on the numeric keypad to turn on, you could utilize a macro of a number, pause and then the power button, this should put the receiver in an off state, even if it was off to start with.

S

Stargazer

That would work - however the Pace DTVA was an unco-operative SOB in this regard. Can anyone confirm whether other receivers do switch on when receiving a channel code?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I'll check a couple later tonight, I have a Samsung and Grundig that i can check.

S

Stargazer

Thanks, Rolfw. Checking the channel up/down buttons would be a good idea also.