Digital Receivers (Humax, etc.)

DHeart

Speed Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 5620, Dreambox 500Si, with universal 3 LNB's and 2X 80cm dish.
My Location
Portugal
Hi! Good afternoon.
I wonder if anyone can tell me if what was told to me it's true. I went to a sat store, in Portugal, to buy some gear to start in this hobby. I asked for an advice and, beside a dish of 85cm, an Humax Lnb with 0,4db, he recommended an Humax VA-Fox digital receiver with cam incorporated. And here's my doubt, he told me that he recommends the Humax because the manufacturer offers support, something that most of the manufacturers don't. He said that, almost every day, he has people coming in to the store looking for means to save their receiver, and in most cases it's hopless. He told me that the receivers can be blocked, via sat, and the Humax can take the hit, and be put back to work with manufacturer support.
If it's true, how do i now wich manufacturer is good and wich is bad?
What is better, an receiver with cam integrated and rs-232 interface, or a receiver with CI, a CAM and CAM programmer?
Thanks.

Razor

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Ireland
There are much better receivers around than the VA-Fox, I'm not even sure the one has a CI slot. I may be wrong but I think it only has a VIA cam built in, not the most friendly type of cam to flash to multi cam.

DHeart

Speed Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Portugal
It's a cam that can be programmed, because humax sells the same receiver with different model name, and the only difference that i can tell is the software built in. The NA-FOX is equal, but with nagravision.
But what do you think is better, an receiver with cam integrated and rs-232 interface, or a receiver with CI, a CAM and CAM programmer?
And is it true about the support stuff that i wrote about?
Can you recommend me another, newbie friendly, or the humax is right for me?
Thanks

Razor

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Ireland
In my view a built in cam is nice but a CI slot is a must, as you can use any cam or multi cam you like. MM MR XCAM ICE-CAM or dragon cam.

I never really like to pick a box and say to guys ..get this one. As for support if you stick to a well known brand they all have good support. But the thing you where told about the hummy taking hits...is BULL.

DHeart

Speed Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Portugal
Thanks, Razor.