Digital Signal

Ty Alaw

Reaction score
My parents have recently purchased a digital tv and are having difficulty in two areas.

The first is the video recorder is unable to work due to, apparently, too weak a signal. The tv did not receive any signal initially until a booster was installed. The signal strength now varies between 65-75. When we tried to route the cable/signal through the video the signal rating was zero.

Samung is the make of the TV and their technical dept. say the signal is too weak for the video. How can this be improved to ensure the video and TV works suitably.

Additionally they are also unable to receive stations from a different transmitter, which they could under their old pre digital tv.

They have two ariels, one for English stations with Winter Hill being the transmitter. The other is for the Welsh stations which are from Moel y Parc transmitter.

The previous set up allowed an automatic control to detect which transmitter should be recognised if the relevant stations were chosen. It now appears that they cannot have the same facility under the digital option, however I cannot understand why not.

We would all appreciate some help.

Thanks

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Can't really comment too much on the signal strengths, as I presume that the ones you quote are what the television is telling you, they are a percentage and not a DB reading.

The analogue signals you were receiving prior to the digital TV installation, were probably not being switched, but there all the time, the digital tuner in the TV will possibly only select the strongest multiplexes and ignore apparent duplicates.

Ty Alaw

Reaction score
rolfw said:
Can't really comment too much on the signal strengths, as I presume that the ones you quote are what the television is telling you, they are a percentage and not a DB reading.

The analogue signals you were receiving prior to the digital TV installation, were probably not being switched, but there all the time, the digital tuner in the TV will possibly only select the strongest multiplexes and ignore apparent duplicates.
Rolf

Thanks for the reply.

You are correct that it was tha signal strength on the TV, i.e . the percentage.

The other issue about being able to select the transmitter may have a different angle.

The transmitter for the English stations is in totally the opposite direction to the Welsh station transmitter.

Would the signal strength not be greater from the area that is being requested? That is, if you are receiving a signal from the English transmitter and then change channels with the "request" to have the facility from the Welsh transmitter. Would the TV not recognise the change?

Thanks

AForester

01LD1E
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
a variety of lnb's (5), dishes (2), diseqc motors (3) and receivers (4).
My Location
East of Cambridge (GB).
DTT transmitted powers at present are far lower than that for analogue transmissions. In addition many DTT frequencies are at different frequencies also to the analogue signals. Quite often a change of aerial (Note spelling please :) ) group as well as a higher gain one is required when changing to DTT.

If you go to the "Wolfbane" site and input your location you will get a read out of all the parameters you require to (hopefully) get a better signal on DTT. To enable analogue reception as well as digital receptioin, quite often a wideband aerial (once again note spelling :) ) is the recommended answer.

ariel, I understand, is a washing product, you are not the first and I am sure not the last to be unable to spell aerial correctly :D

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Not quite sure what you mean, the digital receiver will tune in to anything it can see, but may well reject the weaker ones as it may have limited channels space.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
AForester said:
ariel, I understand, is a washing product
I think you'll find that its a mermaid.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Wasn't it a Dean Friedman song as well. :)

Razor

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Ireland
And you can thank your lucky stars, that where not as smart as we'd like to think we are.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton