Digital Terrestrial reciever with sensitive tuner?

steffan_st

A bit enthusiastic
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini OP 125 L, Smart Titanium lnb with CD-80 feedhorn, Moteck SG-2500, Azbox HD Premium+, some 5 meters of good quality coax
My Location
Sweden
Since the terrestrial analogue will be switched off in less than a year in my part of Sweden,it's about time to get a digital reciever.

A reciever for free channels only will be fine.BUT,I want a reciever with a VERY sensitive tuner.

Any suggestions?!?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I've found the Sagem receivers to be very sensitive, very cheap as well. :)

dave branson

Reaction score
My Location
Florence Italy
I have a SAB 710 ci,who,s tuner totally out performs the following receivers,
I have,all of which are much more expensive.
Triple Dragon
Samsung 9500 ci
Coship 5300 A
Humex/ID CI
Nextvison
SAB 8500 CI
Digiboxes, 2xPace,Sony
I am with Rolfw,its not the price which determines the performance.
It would be good if a survey/tests was carried out to determine which
Receivers have the best fringe area tuners.
Q Rolfw,WWhere can you get a Sagem,and what model do you have.
All the receivers i have used with quite a number of LNB,s and the Invacom quad stands out as the best,others may suit different location and systems,but by reading the Forums the Inacoms have the majority of credits.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
This is for terrestrial digital Dave. :eek: ;)

To add to my earlier comment on receiver sensitivity, the latest Goodmans unit has a low threshold, the Echostar range supposedly have sensitive tuners, the Philips range in my experience, do not.

dave branson

Reaction score
My Location
Florence Italy
rolfw said:
This is for terrestrial digital Dave. :eek: ;)

Oh,the way I read it he was looking for a Digital Receiver,I must be a bit slow this morning.

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
DTT reception is almost entirely down to local field strength and receiving aerial used. Receiver design makes only a small difference, although that can be crucial, putting you on the "right side" of the "digital cliff".

The Echostar T101 (for UK) had a very sensitive tuner, but note other Echostar models have only a standard tuner, with the claimed "usual" working sensitivity of -75dBm.

It would be useful if maunufacturers included such info in their specs, but most seem curiously reluctant!

steffan_st

A bit enthusiastic
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini OP 125 L, Smart Titanium lnb with CD-80 feedhorn, Moteck SG-2500, Azbox HD Premium+, some 5 meters of good quality coax
My Location
Sweden
dave branson said:
I have a SAB 710 ci,who,s tuner totally out performs the following receivers,
I have,all of which are much more expensive.
Triple Dragon
Samsung 9500 ci
Coship 5300 A
Humex/ID CI
Nextvison
SAB 8500 CI
Digiboxes, 2xPace,Sony
I am with Rolfw,its not the price which determines the performance.
It would be good if a survey/tests was carried out to determine which
Receivers have the best fringe area tuners.
Q Rolfw,WWhere can you get a Sagem,and what model do you have.
All the receivers i have used with quite a number of LNB,s and the Invacom quad stands out as the best,others may suit different location and systems,but by reading the Forums the Inacoms have the majority of credits.

Like Rolf says,I'm asking about terrestrial receivers,but your post is interesting anyway.I've never heard of "Humex",don't you mean "Humax"?!?
If you do,which model of Humax is it?

Milkybarkid

Reaction score
I have the DTT Echostar T101 and get a perfect signal using an old aerial and 35 miles from the TX.

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
Well, the special Novapal Tuner inside Setpal receivers was supposedly the best ever (Echostar T101 was most sensitive at -86dBm, Daewoo was -84 but with better overall performance, dtg figures, measured at 16 QAM no interference). I'm still using my Daewoo Setpal, it works fine on low signals.

These are still available (if nowhere else!) from www.cpc.co.uk , type "digital television receiver" into the search box.

Note that, the Setpal format is now considered defunct, the promised epg never happened and there's been no other software updates for ages. However, the tuner works and is excellent.

However, remember, the aerial is the important thing, with receiver sensitivity differences being marginal, at best.

(added) the setpal can sometimes be annoying, if you change channels it occasionally delays a few seconds while optimising the tuner's local oscillator frequency exactly (no point in increasing sensitivity, then being "off" the i.f. passband!). It can also "glitch" on bad impulsive interference, again the price paid for sensitivity.

See: http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:7z3GdAjpvlIJ:www.novapal.com/tunerright.htm+novapal+double+conversion+tuner&hl=en&lr=&strip=0 .

http://main.ovus.co.uk/tuner_module.htm (see NIM tuner).

OldBen

Mad Scientist
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triax TD110 with multi LNB 28.5E, 23.5E, 19E, 13E Inverto Black Ultra's (Black Premium on 28.5) into multiswitch. VU+ Duo. Emitor Satlook Lite meter.(Retired: Technomate 1500CI+, Moteck DG2100 DisEqC Motor, Metronic 85cm Clear Dish, Invacom 0.3db LNB
My Location
UK
steffan_st said:
Any suggestions?!?

Hey Steffan,

I still swear by my Pioneer DBR-T100F, it has a perfect picture long after my Humax 8000 recorder starts to breakup...

Just my $0.02.

Paul