disceqc.

M

mrmack

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 21-Oct-00 AT 04:30 PM (GMT)[/font][p]Can anybody tell me is it possible to drive an 1.2m or 1.4m dish using this system. I have read articles which talk of driving a 1.m dish but nothing larger. If you have information or you are driving the larger dishes using this system please post.
Apologies if this message is in other depts. but screaming net are dropping me every 2 to five minutes and takes me 5 to 6 tries to get back on line

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
(I've moved this post here from the "miscellaneous" forum, since DiSEqC refers to multi-sat systems)

The problem with DiSEqC is that the motor is powered via curret transmitted along the co-ax since that is the only connection (at once its charm and its limitation).

And it's not yet proven possible/reliable (safe?) to generate sufficient current to drive a heft dish. Max is abouut 1m so far, though I did read recently of one that could drive 1.2m.

Note that it is possible to get a conversion device that supplies a standard motor with the usual power (sufficient to drive a dish as large as you want) and converts the DiSEqC pulses to normal motpr pulses for dish positioning.

2old

M

Mallum

How many Amps/Volts are capable of being sent down the coax in this way??

The only reason I ask is that I have a 1.2M dish at present and use a Triang model train transformer to move the dish!!! This transformer only supplies 12V, 1A MAX.

I have been using this setup for a while now with no adverse effects except that it takes the dish about 30 secs to get from 1W to 19E.

I have read in "Wotsat" that the EchostarAD3000IP reciever will put out as much as 5A surely this would be enough to drive a large dish??

Cheers
Mallum.

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
I don't know what a co-ax will take, or indeed whether the limitations are in the coax itself or the receiver/LNB connections to the co-ax.

In any event, yes, the 5A of the Echostar is sufficient to drive a large dish (3m or more) but that's through its standard positioner. The DiSEqC software of the receiver is v1.0 - which supports LNB switching but not dish positioning (for that v1.2 is needed).
Logical, since why would anyone interested in DiSEqC positioning buy a top-line receiver with actual built in positioner in the first place?

By the way, here's a manufacturer offering an excellent DiSEqC motor capable of driving a 1.2m dish:
http://www.stab-italia.com/english/rot120_uk.htm
That manages it with a max output of 350mA. Clever.
In fact,that particular motor can be supplied with a conversion box for those with DiSEqC v1.0 only.

2old