Disecq Motors Any Good?

billieuk

Reaction score
Basically I am interested in some feedback regarding motors, I have decided that a motor is better than a dual feed lnb as I will be able to get absolutely everything(Well within reason).

As with everything I have bought so far with my satellite equipment I have tried the cheaper alternatives and it always ends up costing more in the long run so It is important that I make the right choice first time with the motor.

Looking at disecq motors and on http://www.satellitesuperstore.com/dishes-motors.htm (near the bottom of a very long winded page) he rates them as completely useless and tells you to buy a 36v motor, obviously this makes sense from the point of view that he wants to make more money. However the description of the problem with the motors also makes sense. Saying that they have a lot of play in them.

This means I can fork out around £100 with the risk that the motor will be useless and keep loosing sight of the satellites, or I can go up a large step, buying myself the VBOX2 and then a more powerful motor, probably racking up closer to double the cost.

BTW I aim to stick an 80-90cm dish on the motor, havent got one just yet, but aimed to buy everything at once

Please let me know what you think.

psats

Reaction score
hi billieuk
i have been useing a cryptic disecq for over 2 half years on a 1.1 dish and i have had no problems at all once setup :)

billieuk

Reaction score
I was hoping someone would say something positive about them, although after making my post I found an excellent review of three motors at http://www.satcritics.com/ .

I think that it is probably going to be a good investment, its just everything I buy seems I need something just that bit better, lnb/dish/receiver, the problem is I dont know too much until I have had a play about, then I realise things dont do what i need them to do.

But your positive comments are encouraging, thanks.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Sorry, was going to answer earlier, but got tied up on something else. There is nothing whatsoever wrong with DiseqC motors, providing they are used within their limitations. As long as you don't use an oversized dish in an exposed position, they will perform as well as a 36v motor and sometimes a lot more quietly.

If you are going to use a 90cm dish, then I would recommend the Raven Gemini, or on of the Aluminium dishes from SatEuropa.

whitby

Reaction score
The guys are right DiSEqC motors(provided it is installed correctly and driveing the correct size dish)are a great bit of kit.

radtv

Supporting Advertiser
Reaction score
Yah, I have a Motek 2100 motor with 80cm dish on a 2 mtr pole extending over the side of the house, it's quick and not as loud as my old H to H Jaeger mount.

Would recommend a Motek, I got mine from a dealer on ebay, for £60 brand new and guaranteed, look here for bargains.

chrislloret

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Beautiful Catalunya,Spain
Hi, I got a 1.80 Mesch on a no name Diseq Motor for 2 years now with no problems what so ever, and we do have quite some storms here. The Motor says max 1.2 but thats a solid, so the bigger and lighter Mesch goes well.
There is nothing better then a motor, it really openes new horizons.
Good luck
C

T24

Info Exec
Reaction score
Triax dish 1.1 M + stabmotor> Disqec 1,2 H-H 120,just working fine.

meldrew

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
North West
I understand the point about buying everything twice because that is
what I tend to do. I started with a single fixed LNB and then moved to
a monobloc. I know I should have gone for a motor (everyone here told
me to when i asked!) but in reality there is enough to watch on Astra
and Hotbird to keep me going for quite some time yet. Maybe for next winter.

PS Can I recommend the RTE Spain early evening news. It you have had a
less than good day a work just watch the lovely Monica deliver noticias....!
Viva satellite!

Meldrew

billieuk

Reaction score
As I said before it is definately good to hear some positive comments on the disecq motors, I'll try and pick one up tomorrow; the review from satcritics.com highly recommended the moteck SG2100 so thats what I expect I shall go for.

I ordered a cheap 85cm dish from brymar, so I just hope that performs well, though I am slighly surprised that I can get sirus 3(not 2 though) on my 60cm dish(in the day), I thought it would be well too small since we are even outside of the 120 range shown on the sirrus footprints.

K

kalamar

I am using SG-2100 motors on both of my dishes Triax 110 cm and Patriot 90 cm. The thing about the dish is the mount, will it accept the motor ? I had to build a new mount for the 110 Triax to fit the motor,not a job for an amateur ! as you can have a problem with declination angles. The Patriot 90 cm fit right on. I also have a 76 cm Winegard and it is a perfect companion for the SG-2100 EXACT FIT.

Reaction score
I'm also new to the motorised side of things and would like to have a go at putting a diseqc motor on my 80cm dish. The SG2100 sounds really good from the http://www.satcritics.com/ review.

But just to split hairs, I see from the moteck website there is now a model 2100A - does anyone have any experience of the difference between this and the 2100? None of the UK online dealers I have looked at have the 2100A.

Regards

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Billieuk - how did you get on with the purchase

My thoughts are (as usual) , if you think you need something that survives unnatural weather conditions, then go for a standard actuator system . DiSEqC motors are really only for the ideal conditions, which is why they have dish size limits and recommendations.

steffan_st

A bit enthusiastic
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini OP 125 L, Smart Titanium lnb with CD-80 feedhorn, Moteck SG-2500, Azbox HD Premium+, some 5 meters of good quality coax
My Location
Sweden
I have a Moteck as well and it performs very well i must say,it's very accurate even when you are as far away from 0 as 40 or 50 degrees east or west.Have been up on a ladder and trying to twist the dish by hand both horisontal and vertical to get a stronger signal on distant satellites but no,the motor doe's the job very well without me!
I use it together with a 100cm Gibertini alu.One thing you should check before bying one is if it performs well togheter with your receiver,iv'e noticed that the 2100 performs better toghether with the Coship than with the Humax!If it lasts 2 or 3 years I'm very satisfied because it's so cheap you can buy a new one!

T24

Info Exec
Reaction score
Actuator is fast but noisy,Disqec motor is slow but silent.