Diseq on a monoblock LNB

Snowy

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Aberdeenshire
Hello. You chaps helped cure my last problem, so I'm here again with another query:

I have a Sky digbox, working OK with minidish on Atra 28deg. I'm now thinking about installing a second dish, possibly 80cm, with separate cable into same digibox to look at other satellites, say Hotbird. I would use a manual switch to select which dish to view.

Question: If I got a monoblock, (Astra 19deg + Hotbird), would the Diseq bit that they usually have cause a problem? Obviously the digibox cannot use it to switch, but will I still be able to see both Astra and Hotbird satellites together?

PS. The Sky dish is on the front of the house, the next dish will be on the back. Niether should bother the neighbours at all.

Thanks

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Hi Snowy,

There are ways of making the system that you propose work, but it will be far from a perfect solution.

The first problem will be switching the monobloc feeds, you willl need a separate DiseqC generator.

The second major problem will be the amount of "other channels" that the digibox will hold in memory, only 50 or so, I believe.

The third problem is that the digibox has a habit of needing a reset after a satellite switch and will forget any "other channels" stored in it's memory.

You may be better off considering a cheap FTA receiver for less than £100 or perhaps the Skystar 2 PC card at under £50, either of these options would work with the monobloc.

Snowy

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Aberdeenshire
Thanks Rolf,

Good points on the digibox only holding 50 other channels and sometimes crashing. Maybe I should bite the bullet and get an extra receiver.

More expense!

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Sell the Sky box to someone emigrating, and keep the address going for subscription, if they want to resubscribe, then let them feed your account

You may find yearly costs go down

Sky is only a valid solution it seems, for convenience (wife and remote control), games and remote parental control of kids, the Sci Fi channel, and looking at lots of adverts, if you are of that persuasion

Snowy

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Aberdeenshire
And the BBC / ITV / Channel 5 free to views, Channel Hopper, or could I get these from some other satellite source?

(thought only Astra 28 deg beamed these channels down)

lee32uk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 1500ci+ super
Triax 1.1m dish
Diseqc motor
Invacom lnb
My Location
Manchester
Originally posted by Snowy
And the BBC / ITV / Channel 5 free to views, Channel Hopper, or could I get these from some other satellite source?

(thought only Astra 28 deg beamed these channels down)

Your right...only 28East has the terrestrial channels.You can get other BBC channels like BBC Prime and BBC World from other satellites though.

Lee