Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Hi,

I have an issue with my Digiquest SG2100 motor where it doesn't quite reach the intended satellite by a few "clicks" (or whatever the equivalent is there). This is especially evident on weaker satellites and I would need to go into positioner set up and manually drive the motor a few clicks in the direction it was going to to get the max signal.

The motor is around 3 years old now and I played about with it quite a lot - took it apart to get rid of the eastern limiter so I could get to 68.5E. I also played around with the "backlash" adjustment screws, so it maybe that it's too tight? The motor itself also seems to occasionally "reset" itself so I have to change the coordinates a little (maybe 0.5 degrees) on the receiver. Almost like the pole rotated a little but I know it hasn't as it still tracks the arc perfectly.

Is it on the way out or is this fixable?

CJ

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
TD110 Dish and TD88 Dish in Tandem
66°East to 60°West.
AZbox PrmHD + OpnbxS9HD + Skybox + DrHD F15
2x VboxII AZ-EL
2 m+ Alcoa PF + BSC421 C-Band lnbf...
+SS2/TwHnS2-3200 pci/TBS6925 pci
1.5 Fortec Star -Gbox - HtoH Ku/Ka/C
My Location
UK
Hi CJ ..this was the very reason I sort of retired my SG2100A recently ..
It did 2 years on the TD110 ...then 1 year on the TD88 ...and finaly ..I sort of retired it .
It now drives a 60 cm dish ..but not acurately or reliably..though it still does function and tracks the arc ok..
The discrepencies at the arc extremes was the reason the TD88 ..like the TD110 was subsequently fitted with a superior dark motor about a month back.
rgds
VS

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Alright - will invest in a new motor. Are dark motors noisy? I heard of some reliability problems with them. So maybe a TM2300 for me...

Chris76

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu+ duo with a 300gb hdd also dm500 and tecnomate 5200 with a 1m and 1.1m motorized dishes and minidish fixed to 28.2
My Location
Belfast
Go for the TM2600 CJ it has the metal gears...

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
The problem I have with TM motors is that the arc seems to be limited to 60 degrees each way, whereas the Dark Motor is about 80 each way. Since I have a clear view of the eastern sky, I need it to go to at least 75 degrees.

(I am at 2.7W, which means my satellite at 70.5E + 2.7W = 73.2 degrees)

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Ordered the Superior Dark Motor so hope it works... quietly

digi247

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
UK
I had a a 3-4 with an inherent fault a few month and it was widely reported on different forums about the same problem, as in you could not do a large ARC sweep say 45° east to 45° west by just choosing a channel, The Motor would just hang and stay as it was yet if you went into the satfinder function and tried this way it worked fine. I did find that the Supreme Dark Motor was not affected i assumed most retailers had got the same faulty batch from the warehouse.

It's more than likely fixed now as i say this was a few months ago so i just decided to go back to the TM2600 as these showed no problems.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Fitted the motor - seems to be working OK. Took a bit longer to align than I hoped as the dish elevation had to be adjusted. I guess the bracketry is a little different from Moteck series motors...

We'll see how long it lasts!