Diseqc Motor problem satellite dish not moving all of a sudden

bobble22

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Star Innovation HD, HH100 DiSEqC Motorised, 90cm Dish.
My Location
U.K.
Hi All

Any advise appreciated.

My Innovation HD and Diseqc motor have worked fine for a few years now (it looks like the new horizons one but unbranded from Maplin). All of a sudden the motor will not work. Luckily its locked on 28.2 so I am receiving most of the UK channels. I have hard reset the motor and run through all the usual on the receiver to check its all enabled and limits are ok and so on. Checked all connections, they are fine. When you press the manual east/west buttons on the motor the LED stays constant (manual says orange but it looks more red); the rest of the time its green so only when trying to move manually it goes red/orange (it also does this when selecting another satellite from the receiver; which says dish moving; it doesn't and light goes constant). I have checked the voltage at the dish end, that's fine 18-19v and amps run from 2.0A initially when the multimeter is connected and then reduce down to under 0.5A (same happens at the receiver end- directly onto the box).

Strangely I measure slightly less volts and amps at the receiver if that has any relevance. I don't have an oscilloscope for testing of the diseqc signalling but could possibly borrow one.

Unsure if this has relevance but on occasion last couple years when the receiver was turned off the dish moved; seemed to be back to position when turned back on though.

The constant light by the manual means limits reached / over current so I am thinking the motor is knackered and when the weather improves have it down and open it up to check; if not replace?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Probably expedient to replace it with a new one then see if you can refurbish the dodgy one in slow time.

bobble22

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Star Innovation HD, HH100 DiSEqC Motorised, 90cm Dish.
My Location
U.K.
ok thanks for that thought it would be the case!

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Sounds like it has jammed solid. They are fairly inexpensive to replace.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
I have a spare motor 'cos I didn't expect my original one to last long - but it has!