Malk51

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+,
Computer,
Technotrend TT3200 PCI
My Location
West Lothian
Hi guys. I am in the process of getting rid of Sky, cancelling the subscription was an ordeal in itself, and want to start exploring other satellites.

To date I have bought a Technotrend 3200 to allow me to decode HD transmissions on my computer. I have also ordered a Technomate 1500CI+ receiver and a Moteck 2100 motor from Ebay. I hope to use already owned T&K brackets which give a standoff of about 25cm from my wall, and a sturdy 2 inch diameter steel pipe.

I would like to get as many satellites between about 40E and 30W as possible. Where I may have a problem is with wall clearance when the dish is turned West. According to a helpful web page, the dish has to turn to 35W magnetic in order to reach 30W from my position (55.9N, 3.52W).

The wall on which I will be mounting the dish faces approximately 10E magnetic and using my rudimentary math skills, I have calculated that the dish mount arm of the motor must be about 40cm away from the wall for an 85cm wide dish or about 35cm for a 75cm wide dish.

At last. some questions! How much extra standoff will the motor provide? I know I could what until the motor arrives, but I lack the patience.

If the standoff is not enough for an 85cm dish would a dish like the Triax TD78 be good enough to receive a decent signal from the popular satellites? Or should I invest in longer brackets to allow me to get a bigger dish?

Finally, I’d like to thank all the contributors to the forum who have helped me get this far through reading their posts.

Stephen

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Not sure of the exact standoff, but here's a picture of a Moteck 2100 on 12" T&K Mount, the dish is a 70cm Raven Gemini. You also achieve a few cms of standoff from the bracket on the dish.

Malk51

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+,
Computer,
Technotrend TT3200 PCI
My Location
West Lothian
Thanks Rolf, judging by that picture, there will be plenty clearance.

Stephen