DiSEqC motor stuck !

B

bibi bear

Can DiSEqC 1.2 motors get stuck on a single position from zapping too fast?

Hep me Lord! Hep me Lord! Please Lord Hep me!
'cause I got hard-core problems over here

Can/Does your very common (seen 'em everywhere) DiSEqC 1.2 motor get stuck on a single position?

I've haven't yet gone up to the roof but I seem to have lost control over my motor - I seem to be stuck on a useless position, hence no signal.

I was zapping (and changing positions perhaps a bit too rapidly) and now I'm stuck

SO IF this is the situation :

IS THE SOLUTION just to nudge it along ??
[ex.: as someone at the receiver calls upon the centering command]

bibi

B

bibi bear

Well the nudging idea didn't work - it wouldn't budge, even when someone below was ordering the centering command. So I'm at a loss for ideas - is there some special deblocking signal?

How can I verify whether a motor is dead (by taking it apart)?

bibi

B

bibi bear

Analysing the situation once again, I'm not at all getting ANY TYPE of satellite signal which leads me to believe that I've grilled the electronics inside the motor - Is this possible?

My system is not grounded, so I'm wondering if that is not what I've done.

B

bibi bear

When enabling/activating a system/receiver DiSEqC 1.2 capable, I assume that the 0v/12v functionality should be disenabled, correct?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes Bibi, that's an LNB switching mode and you will probably be using 22Khz if you are using a universal LNB. Sorry I can't help much on your other problem, haven't much experience with DiseqC, may be worth checking that you are getting power from your LNB out, if you could borrow a multimeter it would help.

If you know someone else with a DiseqC receiver you could perhaps try theirs to see if you get any response.

Rolf

B

bibi bear

Thanks Rolf, can u confirm, ur saying that the 0v/12v functionality SHOULD be activated/engaged as well as the 22kHz ?? (when using a single coax 1.2 system)

wolsty

"Satellite Expert"
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo, Humax IRCI5400z, Sony Bravia KDL-32EX403, 1.1m Triax, Technomate TH-2600 DiSEqC mount, Sony BDV-E280 Home Cinema system, ancient Logik Freeview PVR.
My Location
Kernow
I have a cheapo DiSeQ motor which I bought in France 18 months ago. It stopped responding so I took the cover off. I found the problem within 2 minutes; it was a broken wire at a solder joint.

The insides are pretty low tech and the pcb looks like something out of a child's toy made in Taiwan. If your motor's anything like mine, there's not much to damage, so it's unlikely you've done any serious damage. If you have fried a chip, it may be worth seeing if you can find a generic replacement.

wolsty

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
I also took apart a DiSEqc motor a couple of years ago when they first came out.

Tried to pack more grease inside as it was near the sea

Didnt go back in same way it came apart so be careful

Wolsty is right, they are cheap internals

B

bibi bear

Completely ignorant in electronics, I bought a new motor for 92€ only to learn (from an electrician friend), that when took off my connector to rerun my cable (to gain another 4m) I WAS TO SUPPOSED TO include the earthing braids under the new connector - and not just cut them away. Apparently the circuit that furishes elect to the motor wasn't a complete round-trip.

So, after mucho headache I've got image once again.

On an unrelated side-bar story, I wonder Wols if u (who also has the IRCI 5400) could help me get started with my GW + my Millenium programmer 'cause ur posts indicate that ur already on the monkey-bars and I'M STILL STUCK IN THIS F***ING SANDBOX

BTW big big thanks to that special member who sent me some hex files that may still work (I'll try again) but also for that v v useful humfreak hex editing software

wolsty

"Satellite Expert"
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo, Humax IRCI5400z, Sony Bravia KDL-32EX403, 1.1m Triax, Technomate TH-2600 DiSEqC mount, Sony BDV-E280 Home Cinema system, ancient Logik Freeview PVR.
My Location
Kernow
Always happy to help, bibi bear. I have a patched IRCI 5400 and am using a Multiprogrammer version 3.5 (Elvis) to program a Funcard and a DS9 Silver Card. I use downloads from Phill's Site and Dragon on www.thaidragon.com/Index2/Dragons/FTV/SECRET/codes.html After some initial problems caused by my not using the programmer correctly, I've used a variety of files from both these sites and have had success with virtually every one. I'm currently using MP8, DOSProg 2.8, ATMELProg (DOS version) and Multiprogrammer version 0.1 software. All work well, although the software sometimes fails to find the port and I have to reboot the pc.

Why anyone should ask me for advice, I cannot imagine. I just spent the afternoon on the roof, 'fine-tuning' the tracking of my dish in the hope of finding 30 degs W. The reason I'm sitting at my pc now is that I managed to knock the dish off line, thereby losing all satellites between 28 degs E and 5 degs W and I still haven't found Hispasat. I gave up when it got dark. And I got wet.

So now I'm going to bed to read 'Godel, Escher and Bach',which will probably do my head in before I fall asleep, drop the book on the floor, waking my wife in the process, thus ensuring that I get earache for the rest of the night.

And its work tomorrow and I'll have to try to grab an hour's daylight in the afternoon to play with the dish again.

Life just isn't fair.