DiSEqC question - multiple dishes + motor.

closetosoton

More dishes than Sense.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Wavefield T55, 20 LNB's and a whole load of analogue boxes!
My Location
Close to Southampton
I'm planning to run a couple of fixed dishes for fast access to my favourite channels and since they are already there, I might as well leave them alone. I also plan to run a motorised 1.1M Triax dish for amusement to tune to whatever is fun at the time.

I thought I'd run a 4way DiSEqC switch (such as http://tinyurl.com/4kvnc) for switching between the dishes.

The question being will the DiSEqC motor commands make it through the switch to the motorise dish? Will the receiver be able to cope with this concept? (I guess it may depend upon the receiver - likely to be Samsung 9500).

Moreover since I'm planning to run a 36V motor through a V-box rather than a DiSEqC motor I'll have the choice of putting the V-box Before the 4-way switch rather than after - which would beg the question will the DiSEqC switch commands make it through the V-box?

If the whole thing is a silly idea I can resign myself to manually pointing the remote at the V-box to reposition the motorised dish and take DiSEqC out of the equation concerning posistioning.

Your thoughts....?

CTS

ps - pics for your entertainment

Fixed
fixed.jpg
+ Motor
triax11.jpg

.... a good way to go or just silly? (Yes I know it won't tune to much sitting in the kitchen :rolleyes: )

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
I love those 1.1M Hotpoint dishes. High wind loading though.

You know, we've had the question asked before as to whether a 2-way diseqc switch would work with a diseqc 1.2 motor, and nobody knew the answer.

Somebody thought that the motor might interpret the diseqc command directed at the switch to 'switch to LNB 1' as 'go to stored satellite position 1' and so on. They were wanting to fit a monoblock for faster switching.

Only you could come up with throwing in a VBOX as well!!! :D

Unless somebody else has any more info, then I think you're going to have to try it. We will, however pay a reward of 10,000 widgets to the first person to prove it either way.

I feel obliged to say at this point though that three dishes seems overkill, when the 1 motorised dish will do it all (albeit a little slower).

Sounds like something I would try and do though...

closetosoton

More dishes than Sense.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Wavefield T55, 20 LNB's and a whole load of analogue boxes!
My Location
Close to Southampton
BGonaSTICK said:
You know, we've had the question asked before as to whether a 2-way diseqc switch would work with a diseqc 1.2 motor, and nobody knew the answer.

Well I'll give it a whirl and see what happens!

I feel obliged to say at this point though that three dishes seems overkill, when the 1 motorised dish will do it all (albeit a little slower).

Maybe I'll add a few receivers to the equation, each one can have its own dish :)

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Looks like you're starting dish farm.

Hope you get on well with your neighbours!

I admire your spirit but all those cables!

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
closetosoton said:
Maybe I'll add a few receivers to the equation, each one can have its own dish :)
Oooh, no, please don't. You'll make us look even more stupid...

If you do this crazy dish-overload thing, be sure to document exactly what you find, as I for one really want to know how it fits together ;) .

Artist 2004

Anatolia correspondent
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
GoldMaster 7400 CIM 2MB with Kaon board 12.03.a5. Technomate 1000, Technomate 5200 USB.
Two 80cm offset dishes.
My Location
West coast, Turkey
Three years later.... what was the result? It's exactly what I am interested in doing...

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Thanks to Artist 2004 for his post as it resurrected this thread, without which I wouldn't have known what to try.