diseqc switch default position

closetosoton

More dishes than Sense.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Wavefield T55, 20 LNB's and a whole load of analogue boxes!
My Location
Close to Southampton
If I have one digital receiver driving a 4-way diseqc switch, using looptrough output to an analogue receiver.

Assuming when the digital receiver is off the analogue one can use its lnb(s) and has no diseqc control, will it:

a) The diseqc switch (and hence the analogue receiver) uses the last satellite it (and hence the digital receiver) was switched to or
:cool: Default to position 1 say...

Cheers

CTS

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
closetosoton said:
If I have one digital receiver driving a 4-way diseqc switch, using looptrough output to an analogue receiver.

Assuming when the digital receiver is off the analogue one can use its lnb(s) and has no diseqc control, will it:

a) The diseqc switch (and hence the analogue receiver) uses the last satellite it (and hence the digital receiver) was switched to or
:cool: Default to position 1 say...

Cheers

CTS
If as you say the digital receiver is off, and (as I understand you) you have a loopthrough to your analog receiver,then as there is no power to the LNB, you can't use the analog receiver. (Loopthru only supplies signal out, no means of controlling LNB.)

Llew

closetosoton

More dishes than Sense.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Close to Southampton
Llew said:
If as you say the digital receiver is off, and (as I understand you) you have a loopthrough to your analog receiver,then as there is no power to the LNB, you can't use the analog receiver. (Loopthru only supplies signal out, no means of controlling LNB.)

Then I have mis-understood the loopthrough output on the digital receiver - I thought:

When the digital receiver is on, it powers LNB and chooses polorisation etc...
When it is off, the loopthough connector, is looped-through the digital receiver allowing auxiliary equipment to power/control LNB...

Otherwise - what is it used for? Or rather how is it used? You're suggesting the digital receiver must be left on using correct L.O. in LNB and correct polorisation in LNB for the analogue receiver to be able to make use of it? This would mean matching channels with correct band/polorisation in the digital and analogue world - ?? I've lost it...

-cts

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
closetosoton said:
Then I have mis-understood the loopthrough output on the digital receiver - I thought:

When the digital receiver is on, it powers LNB and chooses polorisation etc...
When it is off, the loopthough connector, is looped-through the digital receiver allowing auxiliary equipment to power/control LNB...

Otherwise - what is it used for? Or rather how is it used? You're suggesting the digital receiver must be left on using correct L.O. in LNB and correct polorisation in LNB for the analogue receiver to be able to make use of it? This would mean matching channels with correct band/polorisation in the digital and analogue world - ?? I've lost it...

-cts
Yes, it's simply an IF output of whatever the digital receiver is set up to receive. Switch it off - nix O/P.

Llew

closetosoton

More dishes than Sense.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Close to Southampton
Llew said:
Yes, it's simply an IF output of whatever the digital receiver is set up to receive. Switch it off - nix O/P.

mmm, OK, doesn't sound as interesting as it could be... last question: is it safe for the analogue receiver to be driving 13/17V into the digital receiver's loopthrough output?

-cts

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
closetosoton said:
mmm, OK, doesn't sound as interesting as it could be... last question: is it safe for the analogue receiver to be driving 13/17V into the digital receiver's loopthrough output?

-cts

Yes, any receiver connected will normally have the LNB switching voltage applied at its IF input anyway.
If you want to operate two receivers independently, consider using a twin LNB or a manual A/B switch off the existing LNB.

Llew

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
...or one of those nice (!) smart priority switches...

Never used one, but it's on my list of 'gadgets to buy'...

_http://www.globalcom.co.uk/accesories/sps1.html

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Looking at the original question, the default position on a DiseqC switch is usually output "A", so if you had output "A" connected to Astra 19.2 and switched off the digital receiver, the switch should return to default as far as I know, but haven't tested it.

With some receivers the loopthrough gives complete LNB control to the second receiver, but it doesn't seem to work on all setups.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
rolfw said:
With some receivers the loopthrough gives complete LNB control to the second receiver, but it doesn't seem to work on all setups.

That's interesting - none of my receivers do that. Perhaps CTS's has that facility.

Llew

closetosoton

More dishes than Sense.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Close to Southampton
Llew said:
That's interesting - none of my receivers do that. Perhaps CTS's has that facility.

I haven't actually tried it - hence the question. I just assumed the looptrhough would give full control - silly me.

If it didn't the question would still remain if I used a globalcomm SPS1 switch, when 'switched' which position would it stay in - I guess it depends whether the switch removes power or not for a few milliseconds.

Since my ultimate aim was to receive analogue transmissions from 19.2E and no other bird, I can simplify my life by using the diesqc switch output A for the 19.2E lnb: depending on what the receiver does I may need to allocate 4 known channels on the dig box (lo band, V, lo band H, hi band, hi band H) and match them up in 'blocks' on the analogue box according to band/polorisation and as I surf channels up on the ana box flip the dig box ones too. It really does sound complex for the sake of a few german FTA analogue channels - I guess most are digital available too!

Cheers

CTS

closetosoton

More dishes than Sense.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Close to Southampton

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
closetosoton said:
The specs on mine quote "Full Tuner Loopthrough". http://www.satalogue.com/section2/page9.htm Anyway I'll try it soon and get back to you all.

Ta; CTS

I think the receiver needs to be on standby for this to be the case. I believe this to be normal for most boxes.

Llew

closetosoton

More dishes than Sense.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Close to Southampton
BGonaSTICK said:
...or one of those nice (!) smart priority switches...
Never used one, but it's on my list of 'gadgets to buy'...
_http://www.globalcom.co.uk/accesories/sps1.html

PS - do you know where I can get one in quanitites less than three - globalcomm only sell them in 3's.

-cts

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Have a Google search for "Global SPS1".

Satstore.co.uk have them for £15 plus VAT and postage, but there are loads of other e-tailers.