Diseqc Switch to 2 dishes problem

slayter

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000
1mtr Dish
Hi Guys
Hit on a strange problem that hopefully someone might be able to help.
Here's my set-up.

Dish 1 - twin lnb
Output lnb 1 - goes to h-h diseqc motor and onto Dreambox 1
Output lnb 2 - goes to Diseqc Switch and onto Dreambox 2

Dish 2 - single lnb (sky dish)
Output goes to same Diseqc switch and onto Dreambox 2

Dreambox 1 is fine, works well with its own motor. Complete set-up working great.

Dreambox 2 however can only pick up a signal from Dish 2 (sky dish), Doesn't see Dish 1 at all.

I have tried pretty much everything I can think of in terms of settings within the Dreambox 2 plus checking the cables and twin lnb etc. All is fine.

Whats really odd is the Dreambox will pick up the sky dish channels (output A on switch) fine and occasionally pick up Dish 2 Channels (pointed at 16 east) but with severe blocking. It looks at first like a signal problem but I know its bang on alignment as my Dreambox 1 is using Dish 1 and is pulling in 16east channels 100%. (I've swapped over the cables into the twin lnb just to eliminate a buggered lnb unit but same results)

Does this sound like a switch problem or a settings problem?

Any help would be fantastic as I'm about this close to picking up the phone and getting 'someone' in and I've never had to do this before in 5 years of being in this great hobby of ours.

Thanks in advance guys n gals

Slayter

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Sounds confusing, tried to draw it but then you contradict yourself when talking about dish 1.

If I have it correctly drawn, then try changing the output from the twin LNB on the motorised dish (dish 1?) into DiseqC A on the switch, you may of course get problems with the motorised dish, as it may not be pointing at 16E when you select it on DB2.

slayter

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000
1mtr Dish
Hi m8
Thanks for the reply and sorry for not being clear and i see where I have confused matters.

I will try and explain more clearly.

Dish 2 has a twin lnb.
Output 1 of the twin lnb is connected to my motor mount and then onto Dreambox 7000S.
Output 2 of the lnb goes direct to a diseqc switch (ie: doesn't go anywhere near the motor mount) From the diseqc switch then goes to Dreambox 500S.

Dish 1 (fixed) - 1 lnb
Goes into the diseqc switch and then to the Dreambox 500S.

Basically I have two separate systems. The DB7000S is my main motorised system which works of Dish 2 all the time (using output 1 of the twin lnb) This set-up works fine.

My second system is the Dreambox 500S which 99% of the time uses Dish 1(fixed) and occasionaly i want to switch over and use Dish 2. (Obviously my DB7000S will have moved Dish 2 into the correct position beforehand)

So effectively I have one Dreambox 500S using a diseqc switch for two seperate lnb's. (1 of the lnb's being the 2nd output of Dish 2's twin lnb unit)

So my settings should be just a normal 2 sat diseqc set-up but this doesn't pull anything in from Dish 2 (the twin lnb output)
Dish 1 pulls in channels no probs.

Does this make things clearer?

Thanks for your help on this mate - really appreciate it.

Slayter

slayter

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000
1mtr Dish
Hi again
Well, I hold my hands in the air on this one and admit defeat.

Tried everything I can think of and it makes me shudder to think of the amount of time I've spent on this and still cant get a simple diseqc switch working on my Dream 500S. Blimey, must be losing it!!! :-doh!

Can anyone recommend a good sat installer around the north London/Home Counties area?

Did someone who I can trust will sort it out.

Thanks in advance

Slayter

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Hi slayter, sorry missed your reply, been a bit hectic here. :)

Yes, can't see any reason why it shouldn't work, unless perhaps it is a faulty DiseqC switch.

Have you swapped the LNB output from the fixed dish onto the other input on the switch and tested?

slayter

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000
1mtr Dish
Hi m8
No worries, just really appreciate any help in the first place.

I am actually getting somewhere on this (I now have the bit between my teeth and refuse to let this beat me!!!)

I checked my connections to switch, dishes and reciever and made new connections. Now my DB500S can see both dishes and pull in channels on both!!! So it looks like it was dodgy connections.

However, I still am missing a load of channels from one of the dishes and to be honest I think it could be a dodgy cable. Would a dodgy cable give me this result - pull in some channels and not others on a sat. I know I'm bang on aligned plus using an up-to-date sat.xml file.

Any thoughts m8?

Cheers

Slayter

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, bad cable or connections will affect some frequencies more than others.

slayter

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000
1mtr Dish
Cheers m8

Guess what I'm doing tomorrow - re-laying decent cable :-doh!

Cheers

Slayter