Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 500s
Gemini
Release 0470
CCcam 214
My Location
North Wales
As I am about to setup a disequ motor on my dish (receiver Echostar 2110ci) can someone give me some pointers to setting up the dish (ground pole mount). The weather is cold, wet and windy here so the least time out there the better!

Site Location LAT 53.331 LONG -3.404 ELEVATION 80m

Many thanks

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Relatively easy Sab, the main problem is getting the pole perfectly plumb.

Once set up, set the scale on the motor to your lattitude, then use 5W as your due south (should be close enough). So you can use an analogue receiver to find the French channels, you move the motor on the pole and the dish elevation only.

Sab

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 500s
Gemini
Release 0470
CCcam 214
My Location
North Wales
rolfw

Thanks for the info. I think I can manage that without catching a cold!

Sab

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 500s
Gemini
Release 0470
CCcam 214
My Location
North Wales
I'm having difficulty in getting 1o or 8o west to setup motor.

Standing behind the dish I take it I should be aiming right of 13o east to get a bearing. Believe it or not its started raining again...

Razor

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Ireland
It rains here in Ireland all the time, in summer the rain falls straight down and in winter it falls sideways.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes Sab, but it isn't very far round the arc and it's a bit higher on the horizon, if you need to borrow a swinging needle meter send me a PM and I'll post you the forum's communal one.

If you could borrow an analogue receiver Sab, it really would make your life easy, just tune to one of the French analogue channels on 5W.

waverider

Salty Tech Monster Bod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Protek 9750 HD IP, Spiderbox 9000HD. Cryptik Digital H-H Mount with1.2m Oval Dish and a box in the garage consisting of 2 obsolete STBs, various Cards and a couple of cams!
My Location
South East England
Or another way is with the motor degree scale set at zero point the dish at Thor at 1'W ...a cheap compass should give you some idea of direction (arms out stretched and away from metal obects!) by looking across the compass with the bottom of the arrow at due south try to find a object such as a street lamp or a church steeple in the distance this will give you a bearing to point the dish at!

Sab

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 500s
Gemini
Release 0470
CCcam 214
My Location
North Wales
Thanks for the help boys. I was doing the right thing - no patience that's my problem!

waverider

Salty Tech Monster Bod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Protek 9750 HD IP, Spiderbox 9000HD. Cryptik Digital H-H Mount with1.2m Oval Dish and a box in the garage consisting of 2 obsolete STBs, various Cards and a couple of cams!
My Location
South East England
Sab said:
Thanks for the help boys. I was doing the right thing - no patience that's my problem!

Thats O'K sab I think we all wear that T shirt on here m8!

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
waverider said:
try to find a object such as a ............. church steeple in the distance this will give you a bearing to point the dish at!

Now I remember why I left Ieland in a hurry about five years ago

Will tell you about it sometime

waverider

Salty Tech Monster Bod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South East England
Channel Hopper said:
Now I remember why I left Ieland in a hurry about five years ago

Will tell you about it sometime

I take it you used to be issued with a SLR hopper?