Dish advice

bodge

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I'm in a fringe reception area and am ín the process of buying a secondhand 2.4m dish with the aim of picking up Astra 2D. I am not sure if this type of dish will be any good for the job. Any comments/advice ?

Old Satellite

Retired Mod
Reaction score
What Is your Location ?

The Dish in question appears to be an older "Mesh" from the Photograph it would appear to be Pariclipse dish, this is not the best choice for KU band reception.

If you confirm your location then we can help further

regards

Old Satellite

>COR<

Reaction score
My Location
Sneek, HOLLAND
It's an petal prime focus dish, good enough dish for KU band.

Just take care re assembling it to make sure all petals are mounted as should be.

You need the feedhorn that comes with this dish C120 flange and get an C120 flange LNB for it, this will maximise the usable signal.

Cheers,]

Cor

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
[quote name='>COR<]It's an petal prime focus dish' date=' good enough dish for KU band.[/QUOTE']

No, no , no

Its a mesh dish COR (picture is too dark normally to see)

Useless for decent reception of Ku band unless all you need is a 1.5m

Likvid

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
Your dish is a 2.4m Winegard Pinnacle dish, one of the best dishes "ever" made way back 10-15 years back.

It was one of the few dishes that was in mesh that performed like a solid Ku-band dish.

However, you need the appropiate feedhorn for it as the dish got a f/d of 0.25 and there is only one feed for it and that is the Seavey Engineering.

I installed several of these dishes and they perform very good due to the low f/d and high tolerance.

Keep it and get the right feed if you don't already have it.

The dish got a gain at 11.3GHz of 46.8dBi and it lives up to it, i performed some tests on it long time back(15 years) and it performed like a very good SMC(glasfibre) prime focus dish, think it was Prodelin 2,4m i compared it to.

PM me if you want to know more about it.

Can you take a picture of the feedplate as well? then i can tell you if it is Seavey or not.

>COR<

Reaction score
My Location
Sneek, HOLLAND
:D

For the dish to be electically "solid" for HF signals, the mesh openings should be smaller as 1/10th of the wavelength you want to recieve/transmit.

I.E. 9.7 Ghz = 3.1 cm band : 10 = 3 millimetre or less to reflect the signal 100% back to the LNB
12.5 Ghz = 2.4 centimetre band : 10 = 2.4 millimetre or less.

If that dish has that, it is suitable for KU band reception.
;)

Cheers,

Cor.
Well, that is how i learned it as Ham radio nutter

bodge

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My location is Sweden.The person selling the dish has been using it for a few years and says its Ok for picking up digital signals.

bodge

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I can't get any better pictures I'm afraid.

I tried to send you a PM without success. Perhaps you can contact me ?

I don't undersatnd why it has the name ELSAT if it is a Winegard dish.

Likvid said:
Your dish is a 2.4m Winegard Pinnacle dish, one of the best dishes "ever" made way back 10-15 years back.

It was one of the few dishes that was in mesh that performed like a solid Ku-band dish.

However, you need the appropiate feedhorn for it as the dish got a f/d of 0.25 and there is only one feed for it and that is the Seavey Engineering.

I installed several of these dishes and they perform very good due to the low f/d and high tolerance.

Keep it and get the right feed if you don't already have it.

The dish got a gain at 11.3GHz of 46.8dBi and it lives up to it, i performed some tests on it long time back(15 years) and it performed like a very good SMC(glasfibre) prime focus dish, think it was Prodelin 2,4m i compared it to.

PM me if you want to know more about it.

Can you take a picture of the feedplate as well? then i can tell you if it is Seavey or not.

Likvid

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
bodge:

I am located in Sweden also, PM me, there is nothing wrong with my PM, other people have contacted me.