Dish alignment help please

The wind has played merry h... with my motorised sat dish. I am about to try to re-align it myself with the help of a friend. I live in Co Durham UK - have got my lat and long details from the suggested link and software. What satellite should I be pointing to to get my alignment?

Alternatively - any engineers in my area - please contact as all those I have tried are not eager to tackle motorised.

Thanks in advance for any any advice or help!

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
You should set up on the satellite closest to due south based on your location, which in your case is 1W.

Good luck.

You may want to wait a day or two for the wind to drop though... or you could be back at it next weekend :(

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
In many cases, the wind will only swivel the motor on the pole mount, you may get away with sending the motor to a satellite and then swinging the motor on the pole to find the satellite.

What type of motor is it?

rolfw said:
In many cases, the wind will only swivel the motor on the pole mount, you may get away with sending the motor to a satellite and then swinging the motor on the pole to find the satellite.

What type of motor is it?
That is a good question....it's a Disec thing I'm sure.

BGonaSTICK said:
You should set up on the satellite closest to due south based on your location, which in your case is 1W.

Good luck.

You may want to wait a day or two for the wind to drop though... or you could be back at it next weekend :(
Thanks very much for the replies!

You could be right...the wind was/is roaring again! The annoying thing is that I had an enormous analogue dish in the same spot for years and years....and it never budged an inch off axis!

H

Happy-Buddah

You could try "nudging" the dish 0.1*, 0.2* etc, by useing the receiver software, a degree or so either side of your set angles to see if you can pick up the satellites.

If this works you can put in a false longitude figure for you home longitude.
For instance my dish moved slightly and instead of useing 0.5* east I have put in 2* east as my longitude. This has enabled me to get all sats in the arc 45* east to 45* west. When the weather gets better I will move the dish back on the pole.
Just an idea, might save having to go out in the wintry windy weather.
H-B

Happy-Buddah said:
You could try "nudging" the dish 0.1*, 0.2* etc, by useing the receiver software, a degree or so either side of your set angles to see if you can pick up the satellites.

If this works you can put in a false longitude figure for you home longitude.
For instance my dish moved slightly and instead of useing 0.5* east I have put in 2* east as my longitude. This has enabled me to get all sats in the arc 45* east to 45* west. When the weather gets better I will move the dish back on the pole.
Just an idea, might save having to go out in the wintry windy weather.
H-B
hehehe...I just wish I could discover how to manually make any sense of the receiver software! It looks so easy...but unlike my old thing...doesn't seem to want to let me do very much. I have a Humax 5300.

My Location
CAIRO EGYPT
Wolfcub

Let Me Explain To U What Happened To Your Dish When There Is A Wind

There R Three Things I Will Start By The Common One .

1 - Motor Is Slept From It's Position Due To The Poor Fixation Of The Motor Cylider To The Base , In This Case U Have To Put Your Receiver To One Of The Strong Signal Quality Channels And Slowly One By One Move East If U Get It It's Ok If Not Go West If U Catched The Signal Store The New Positin And Do The Same With Another Satellite ( It's Better To Start From A One Near South 1w Is Thor ,4w Amos And So On .... If U Didn't Get A Signal Go To 2

2- May By The Dis Has Rotated Around It's Axis In This Case U Will Lost Part Of The Arc Or The Intire Arc In This Case Untight The Dish Fixation And Tune To One Of The Strong Channels Where U Were & Start Derotate The Dish Again Until U Have The Signal

3 If U See Some Of The Channels And Some Not Or The Signal Was Not Good As Before U May Need To Allign The Elevation Angle ( To Make The Dish Pointe To Up Or Down Littel By Littel )

I Hope These Three Remarks Can Solve Your Problem & Let Me Know The Result

Best Regards From Cairo

H

Happy-Buddah

@ wolfcub

Sorry that my idea was not of any help, my Technomate/Coship/Fortec/Hyundai all had the facility of driving off off the preprogrammed positions of satellites and storeing the new position.
Looks like you should have a go at AELRAHMAN's solution.
H-B