Website
Visit site
My Location
Vienna - Austria
Dear All,

Please help me with the following problem:

Equipment: Receiver - Hirschmann CSR60CI
Dish - Offset 85 cm
LNBs - 2xUniversal LNB (for ASTRA & EUTELSAT)
Switch - DiSeqC 1.2

Because of the local conditions I must place the dish INSIDE !!
I tried to align the dish but I receive nothing... The stregth of the signal is between 10 and 13%. Wich LNB on which sat should it be? Could you please help me with some basic advises about how to align the dish? How could I check if the LNBs are working? Can I have reception through the window??

Any advise is welcome
Thank you very much

wannaknow

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
You can only have reception through a window unless you have a dicrete balcony in the right direction

Satellite microwave frequencies are not able to pass through solid walls, glass restricts the signal by up to 50%. It may be possible to install a plastic set of roof tiles and fit the dish in the loft

wannaknow

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Vienna - Austria
Thank you. Indeed, I do not have any balcony. Placing on the roof might be an ideea but as I'm staying in an old historical buiding I am not allowed to make any change (that's why I cannot place it on the wall, either).

I suspected that the glass is diminished the signal's strength and I've tried also with the open window but no result. There is no building, no obstacle in front of me (I am on the 5th floor). I feel that is something basic what I am missing. Does anybody know some links to a "Beginners Guide" of dish aligning? How to fix the azimuth, the elevation, how to connect the cables....

Any ideea is welcome
Thank you

wannaknow

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If the two satellites are both almost directly in front of the window, then you may have a fighting chance, but it is difficult to get good reception through glass.

Some dishes have a scale on the side for elevation, the azimuth can be checked with a compass, you can find out what both should be for your location by going to Heavens Above , looking up your coordinates and inputting the information into the free Swedish Microwave Calculator .

PS. If you can beg or borrow an analogue receiver, the sat finding is made much easier.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Try with just one LNB first (the satellites should be about the same strength in Vienna) as this will eliminate any problem with the DiSEqC switch and its setup

Get a signal and lock the dish into place (dont forget signal strength of digital channels can take a few seconds to register)

If still nothing then take the receiver to a dish that is already on station and store a few channels first

Then try adding the other parts to the system