DISH ALIGNMENT PROBLEMS?

J

jackpeas

HI OLD SATELLITE, My sat lat is 41.6n and my site long is87.6 w. magnetic variation 5.0 modified polar elevation 47.46 '' apex elev 41.66 '' polar axis 42.54 '' apex declination 48.34 '' declination offset 5.80 Someone sent this to me . I will check the arms again.I go the 10 ft of new wire to on the arm. Thank jackp n chicago

J

jackpeas

HI CH,I got some good news and some bad news. The good news my von wiese work.I have to connect direct to the limit terminal(limit switches red and black leads that where I connected the 2 motor wire and it work) For some reason it would not run when it was connected up right. Bad news is that the 36" venture arm is hard for the charge to move, 8 to 9 amp DC with no load. Maybe the 36" arm is bent.I will have to call sherry @ American satellite and see can I get replacement parts for the venture arm. Now at the dish I notice that bottom bushing is taking more of the waite there is large open their.I also connect up my 4dtv/von weise arm together its working,but its don't want to download the satellites. Iam getting hight reading 80,90 onsome sat. But it not clear om GO@123 deg. I think the 31 turn on the declination rods is bit to much. Amc 2,3, t4,GB,T6,g3,t5, G4,w4,w1, is ok the rest of them is not. jackp n Chicago

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Old Satellite

I think its still something to do with the way the dish at one of the resting positions affects the leverage angles of the actuator, as all suffer the same problem, but this problem goes when the actuator is tried off dish

9 Amps is a seriously dangerous position to be in as you say a fire is just around the corner

Jackpeas

Awaiting the photos to confirm all is right with the installation

Old Satellite

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Channel Hopper

I agree somthing is wrong at the mount since a 3.0 mtr dish should not be a any problem for a 36 " good heavy duty jack.

Jackpeas
when you drive the dish does the noise increase at certain points- can you check this out and also ask for a friend to drive the dish while you watch and listen for noise?

The photographs as Channel Hopper requests on the mount etc will help understand more what is happening.

Old Satellite

J

jackpeas

HI OLD SAT,I got the dish to move but I cant get a download of the satelltes.Most of the c-band are their, but ku side only 3 are their.I may have to go back 31 turn on the declination to get it to come in.I was thinking about a HH mount on 4" black pipe. Getting 4'' base can and secureing the 4over the 3" pipe to make it stronger. I don't know if DH Satellite make HH mount.I am just thinking about it.They don't make them like the Ajack HH mount anymore.That would replace all those arm.Warren take the photo(digital) so I will call him over. 2 Days and my 4dtv count is just 832,(download count have to be over 4000) jackp n Chicago

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Dear Jack

Whilst a 4" post will be better than what you have , this means changing almost everything under the dish, and modifying the backring to allow the dish to fit onto the H to H

You are right the Ajak was a good unit, I have one here on ther 4 1/2" post driving the modified Unimesh reflector (12') with no problem - well not much anyway

I would seriously ask Vincor for their view on why their equipment has not worked as you are spending a lot of time on a system that reallty is not that difficult to set up. Additionally has DH confirmed that they recommend a dish of that size on a 3" polarmount ?

J

jackpeas

HI GUYS, what can I do about the 36 '' arm ?I am thinking about taking it apart and checking if anything wrong inside that I can see.The warranity is about gone,I got this arm from satmart over the net. I know this arm made loud noise(maybe noise is the wrong word)sound loud. I thourgh it was ok.I will try to get Warren over to take more picture of the dish.He has the digital camera. He knows how to download to the forum, I dont. I have some picture that he sent me of the dish in a email.I don't know how to get it from the email to the forum.I have tried almost everything I know to get it to download the sat. I let it stay on GO 9 last nite. I will check today. While we are waiting on Warren, let re cap(see what we did right or wrong) Rememmber the 48" ring with the 4 stud bolts(about 6" long) we only adjusted the top 2(31 turn out from this ring,but we didn"t move the bottom 2 they are about 2" from the ring)On this L beam,where the center of the dish is, there is a lot of space(from the center hole in the dish up, their between the dish and the beam.When the 4 studs bolts was the same(even) the dish was almost rubbing on the L beam.We have been thru arm problem, receiver problem. I think I am tring to jump ahead of you guys. You guys know what 's going on.So I will follow your lead. Maybe I am getting the elevation and latitude thing( wrong) mix up.I think that is where we need to start from(so we all can be on the same page)I have been useing 41.5 or41.6 Lat N, and 87w or 87.6w. my question is (latitude and elevation is the same?) My south sat amc 3or k3@87deg, middle sat k1@103 deg, west w7@137deg. Thank you jackp n Chicago

Old Satellite

Retired Mod
Reaction score
[updated:LAST EDITED ON 19-Jun-02 AT 01:00 PM (GMT)]I have provided some additional information below that I hope helps understand the satellite geo stationary arc

The Chicago area is approx 41.6 Lat N, and 87.4w.

Your Latitude is your position that, corresponds to the direction of the North Star. As you move from the equator to the North Pole your Latitude changes from 0° to 90°. your latitude is approx 41.6 N or 41.6 degrees North of the equator

Your Longitude is your location from the line at 0º longitude which runs through the Royal Observatory in Greenwich, near London UK. Or approx 87.4 degrees west from London.

Your declination offset as it is more technically defined is the number of degrees between your Latitude and the angle of the face of the dish.

The range of satellites that you identify are west of your south location , I have copied below what I would suggest.

Your Eastern sat is Galaxy 6 or towards the horizon NSS806 at @40 deg,
Your South sat AMC 3or K3 @87deg, This is also your middle sat
Your Western sat W77@137deg.

The Ajack H-H mount is still available the rights to the design were purchased around 4 years ago by KTI. You can purchase the mount in the US from KTI and also from WWW.doebis.com in Germany they carry around 10 in stock and cost (trade price) is around $300 ( please note that it is now manufactured by Jaguer as a KM1012. I have it installed on my 3.7 mtr and works well , but I did make some serious modifications to the support structure- I replaced and re-welded 12mm supports where there were 6 mm etc etc , the worm drive is excellent however.

DH also offer two versions of H-H if I remember one is very professional and expensive twin axis for servo amplifier control etc

The old jackarm i would suggest that you start with seperating the motor from the tube first, and then checking out the motor if it is ok etc

When we see the photographs we can try to help again

Old Satellite

J

jackpeas

Old Satellite and Channel Hopper:

Go to

http://photos.yahoo.com/jackpeas

and click on the "Satellite" folder to see the photos.

Jackpeas

J

jackpeas

HI Guys,I got some good news my 36"arm I think it ok.I took it apart and connect the charger to it.( 9 amp it was pulling this is the motor no tube.Then I switch - neg cable for the + pos cable. The amp went down way down(no reading) Then I turn it around go back the other way, it was (no reading) but it was noise. Then I conected the tube back up to the motor and it run ok.I don't know what was wrong. Now to get back to downloading the sat ku. So all of my arms are working. Thank Guys jackp n Chicago

Old Satellite

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Hi Jackpeas,

I have checked out the Yahoo site but I dont see the photos , I have checked 1 through 10.

could you please check it

Old Satellite

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
[updated:LAST EDITED ON 21-Jun-02 AT 09:27 AM (GMT)]Now I know why I dont use Yahoo (35 mins to download)

The picture that is checked as #7 (actually picture 6), shows clearly the actuator has about 6" of shaft protruding from the sleeve, even though the antenna is already at a position that would make it difficult for the positioner to move. If the antenna is driven further West there is a good chance nothing will be able to move it back out again.

The actuator has to be taken off the antenna, driven by the positioner to its minimum length, then wind in the shaft to about 1" by hand, and then put back onto the antenna with the sleeve clamp moved further down towards the gearbox.

I would still have a word with Vincor as to the polarmount design, it still doesnt look right for this size of antenna

J

jackpeas

HI CH, that's my von weise arm,I have it(clamp) about 8" to 10 "(Is that what you are talking about?) from the end of the tube. About how much more do I have to move it? I will move it down farther toward the motor end. Remmeber that I got wires (motor wires connected directly to the limit wires not termial ) When I drive the arm down(in untill I hit the limit or before I hit the limit,then turn by hand to 1" in? I am not getting my download. Thank guys jackp N Chicago

J

jackpeas

HI CH, I don't know where or what sat I was on, when we taken the pictures. I know I can get w7@137 deg< I think my limit is their. I will give you the nummber later. On the east end the limit is just pass amc 2 at 85deg . Do you still want me to move the clamp and turn in the to 1" in? jackp N Chicago

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Dear jack

If your limit is clost to the furthest satellite you can see, then thats fine. I did not know where you had taken the shots

Doest the motor run fine at the point where the dish is in the photographs ?

J

jackpeas

HI CH,My Von Weise is ok.I have no problem. I am getting w2-k2,w3-k3,t4-l4,gb-xb,t6-l6,g3-x3,t5-l5,g4-x4,w4-k4,w1-k1, A2-f1, c4 that it. The rest of them might come in but not as clear. I will have to search for the other. Did you check out the 1" braces? Something happen to my monterey 95.I used it when I have the2c-2ku feed on(that what all the cables you see at the dish, 4 for c/ku,2 for dbs, 1 for tv. Thank you jackp n Chicago

Old Satellite

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Hi Jack Peas,

Seems that the coverage is getting closer ? , can you identify the satllites specifically that are good and those that are weaker or bad,

I can then plot them on a arc to hopefully see were the problem is from a tracking presepective or feedhorn.

I am still worried has Channel Hopper about the mount, it would be a much better option to replace the old three inch with a five inch pole.

I am reviewing the pictures- now that i have been more patient for them to download- and will come back shortly.

Please let me know about the weaker satellites.

Old Satellite

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
[updated:LAST EDITED ON 24-Jun-02 AT 09:55 AM (GMT)]Dear Jackpeas

If the actuator is now moving the dish it suggests that you have overcome the major obstacles

Please advise which satellites are not coming through correctly or at all. There is a chance that without having a second motor to lift the whole assembly, the ones that you cannot get are either in an inclined orbit, or are at parts of the arc that the dish cannot correctly track, possibly as a result of incorrect set up of the elevation/declination settings

By the way, modifying the mount in the first place to accept a second actuator would aleviate most of the tracking problems. Its a bodge to adjust with a 'moving' elevation bolt, but allows instant correction if the wind or a bearing collapse cause the dish to go off station

Old Satellite

Retired Mod
Reaction score
I would not propose that you modify your standard mount for inclined orbit tracking with the current 3.0 mtr dish.

It would be a far safer option to purchase a new H-H with inclined options such as the KM1012 as standard or the DH options.

The photographs highlight the attachement points to the dish and one question that I have is the top bolt leghts exactly the same ? and also are the bottom bolts equal in length ? what is the differance between the top and bottom.?

Old Satellite

J

jackpeas

HI OLD SAT, These 4 studs bolts are 3/4"x I don't konw how long, more than 31 turn(top one) So I move them back in 31 turn trying to download Go9 (sat) But GO is not coming in good.I got 2 extra nut on these rods to let me know where to go back to,31 turn out(they act as stop) from the ring. The bottom 2 studs bolts has nuts about 2" from the ring.I think they are even(declination studs bolts) Amc2(w2,k2)Amc3(w3,k3) T4-L4,GB-xb,T6-L6,G3r-x3,T5-L5,G4-x4,W4-k4,W1-k1@103, F1-A2, AMC4-C4,AMC7@137deg these are coming in good.I am having a problem with M5@116deg,E1-A1 @118 deg,GO-xo@ 123 deg,G5@ 125,G9@127,T7-L7@129 deg,C3@131,G1@133, AMC8,139,AMC k5@79,sbs6@74,W6-K6@72, Some of these come in but not clear. Now to the pipe(remmeber that 3" is 15'in the air, We would have to lift the 4"X15'6" pipe up by hand, to go over the 3" and down to the ground.We have no way to hold that kind of weight.We would have to put in metal shim to act like bearing(keep the pipe from wobing)And bolts thur both pipe top and bottom.I know we can not handle 5" pipe. jackp n Chicago