DISH ALIGNMENT PROBLEMS?

J

jackpeas

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 30-May-02 AT 11:03 AM (GMT)]Hi, I am sorry not getting back with you. I was just reading the message not looking at the name.I would like to thank you for any help you can give. I have 7(120' ft) cables coming in or going out to the dish.When I use my 2c&2ku feed that4 cable. On my scalar ring their dbs lnb /2 f conector 2more cable. And 1 more from the house to the dish for the tv. 2 multi-switchs I dont know how many spitters. thank you jackp n chicago I got a21' ft 3''pipe from my job cut of some and put about5' or6'ft in the ground and about 14'ft above. Its attach to side of the garage to keep it from moving.

J

jackpeas

HI all, We tried again may31. Warren and I check the feed and found that the support for scalar ring 37''from backside to the center of the dish. I found that 1of the 3 bolts hold the scalar ring to the support(kinda look like a horse shoe,and it fit on the back of the feed) I had to grind some so the hole could line up.This is where the (allen) screw for tighten the feed.I used a yard stick and cut pvc 1 1/2 pipe to the 36''long. Here is the problem.The scalar ring is about 1'' thick. And the 36''pipe keep the feed center in the scalar ring.Now I am pass the 42 line on side of the feed. Now here where I tire my other feed(ADL non adjustable feed the one with the big scalar ring or housing) So I had to change out the lnb c-band,Iwill change out the ku lnb later. I also a ADL c/ku feed with adjustable scalar ring plus adl 2c&2ku feed. 2 c/ku coroto feed. and Dual c(2c lnb for c-band in a seal unit) it still work. After all of this I am at the same spot.What my next move Idont know.On this dish there is some back support that help the dish keep it shape. They are 37'' long and about 6'' thread. We adjusted these, finger tight. We was thinking it may be out of round or something. I have look in the yellow pages a sat-repairman. All you find small dish repairman. Thank again Jackp n chicago

Old Satellite

Retired Mod
Reaction score
[updated:LAST EDITED ON 01-Jun-02 AT 01:17 PM (GMT)]Do not adjust the rear support on the dishes without the dish being strung for flatness of the face. It is very easy to pool the dish out of shape and it is extremely difficult to pull it back to full operational use if it is pulled to much.

What were the results when you carried out the below ?

Please try the following set 87.0 GE3 etc has you have previously to your high point declination,Inclination correct for your location.

Mark your pole from the starting point. masking tape and pencil works well.

Set up channels in KU band only if you track the C band first then you will after fine tune the whole process again.
Then slowly rotate with your jack to the next satellite lets say GE 1 (103.0)which should be a good signal and then turn opposite to Galaxy 6 etc.
Check the signal at all three locations. gently lift the dish (Manually)slightly at Ge 1 and Galaxy 6 to see which way you need to move the dish.

Those three satllite are so close and high power 49+ Db that when you rotate with your jack that the movement on elevation is small.

Feed horn alignment- chose one and then leave the others alone for the moment, either the ADI or the Co rotor with adjustable FD.

Set the Fd from the front face of the dish to 1/8 inside of the feedhorn (KU) That will be close enouth for setup the Polar arc

Measure from the feedhorn to the outer rim face at three points 120 degrees apart are as close as you can.are they equal to within 1/32 inch?

Normally the guide at geo cities is pretty good as referance for all of these items.

The quad feed dual c and KU band normally requires extensive knowledge to set up. and can only be accomplished properly with a signal analyser. even then it is time consuming for the best reception.

Ps do every thing very slowly, try to take some photos of your mount and dish and attach so that we can see how it looks currently, then we can try to help again.

My own 3.7 took around half a day with a signal analyser to full align the feed horn correctly (ADI) ps the corotor is not as good as the ADI due to the teflan slab.

Still travelling so sorry for the delay

regards
Old Satellite

J

jackpeas

HI old SAT, When I move to amc3 k3 87deg I get a reading 100signal 99 quality tp 600. I lift up the dish to check to see any change.None I can see.Now I move to GE1 k1 lift up the dish to check to which way I need to go. When I lift up the number get less(72--70) and push down the number stay about the same.Then I try moving 1/16'' to the east on the pole. I lose the tp Then I am lost again. Now I will send you email over to my printer so I can read it at the dish.Now back to the feed .If was to set it at .30(coroto feed And I don't have the gold ring that fit inside) I would never get 36'' f/l. Yes I can .When I set it to 36'' its pass the 42 line on the side(from the end of the feed 1 1/2'' to the 42 line, 1'' thick of scalar ring. Do you see what I am saying( the feed is up in the scalar ring little pass flush.I am pass the last line on the side of the feed. Which way do I go? 36'' or .30 Thank you for help me it hard to find someone to explain thing . My hat is of to you, Keep up good work Jackp n chicago

J

jackpeas

HI all and OLD SAT, Here its sunday. I am writing email in bed. That where my webtv is. My compute and printer is in the other room. I still have the ADL non adjustable feed on the dish.With this feed I dont know where I am.This feed has the big scalar ring or housing on it.I think I am somewhere on the inside of 37''.This old style feed. But look what going on now. I am getting my digital on C4@135deg and other tp. Nothing else is watchable on that west end. A2@107deg is clear.Everything from amc2@85deg to A2 is clear and watchable.E2@111,M5,A1,E1,Go,XO,G5,G9,T7,L7,C3,G1,W7, come in but not clear. Idid change out the ku lnb and it made a lot of difference. Also my polarization on sat like G3r Iam getting bleed over. One more thing seem like I am losing count or (the sat are moving east and the number are moving to the west.I got more space on the west end. I need this space on the east down byNSS806.)Its really hot on that roof and I have to wait to the afternoon untill it cool down. I don't have a digital cameral.I have cheap spectum anilyser. I got it from smallear on yahoo.Now let get to feedhorn. The reason Iam using this one there no adjusting. Just put it on the feed support or collar that it. Now turning it until its at 11 oclock is another story.To change out the feedhorn or lnb, I have to get my 8' ft ladder or actuate the dish to W7 and turn it around. So that it face me on the garage roof.So its lowe enough to work on it. Did this help or hurt? When I print out your email it goes back to page 1. I dont need page1 again or page 2 or 3. Just what current email. Otherwise I am priting 3 page of email. You can send to me direct to my email. jackpeas@webtv.net.That way i will print one email take to dish and try it. I know we are close but there yet. I have to keep telling you how much i thank you because I do. You are taking time for me. Thank you,thank you jackp n Chicago

J

jackpeas

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 04-Jun-02 AT 08:17 AM (GMT)]HI, Iam going to remove the ADL non adjustable feed and installed ADL adjustable feed. Now where do I set the feed AT 35 5/8 manufacter say or 36'' Otherwise if I try to set to the number othe side, I lose my 36''. .This is a International feed that what it say on the feed. Now where do the c-band LNB go? On the top 12'0clock or at the bottomat 6 oclock? My chaparral receiver book diagram say at the top. I have been going with servo motor(the writing go down so you can read it) I will try to get the feed thing out the way and move on. Thank you agian jackp n Chicago Yes I remove the ADL non adjustable today. Now I have on the ADL adjustable scalar ring feed.I was check out the 4 leg (measure the lenght I think one is shorter) SO I tried to adjust it with washer.But it did not work(put washers under the leg to make it longer.When I did this the signal number got less and I took them out)Let me finish about the feedhorn. I installed it with the c-band at 12 oclock the signal reading went way over,100-99 but no picture. I got the ladder out and the tv so I can watch what was go on.I turn the feed and push it all the way in untill it hit the stop.Then I started to bring it out slowly very slowly. I pass the first line on the side and I started get a signal reading 30. I kept bring it out more the reading got better. When the reading got 100 signal quality 99 I stop.Now I had to get the feed in the center of the scalar ring(because you can cock feed the to one side .The number and line is only on one side) Now I think I am on the right track. Tonight my 36''venture arm starting to act up.The screen is saing phisical limit has been reach. It just move a little bit and stop again. I will check it in day light.I have other 24'' arm to change it out.(3 or 4)And I repair my other arms when they go bad.We will get there. jackp n Chicago

J

jackpeas

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 05-Jun-02 AT 06:38 AM (GMT)]Hi Guy,I need some help with my actuator 36'' venture arm. Last night as I was go to difference tp, the screen said my phyisical limit has been reach. Thinking it was the actuator I replace it a 24 '' arm. Now I am having the same problem with 24''. Since Iam having same problem with both arm. I decide to call G I who make the 4dtv receiver.I got a song and dance. Anyway she said do a master reset And I did. Now I can not go anywhere I am stuck.I reallly need help. I have used difference receiver and difference positional with difference arm. Nothing is moving. Please help Jackp n Chicago What I am doing now. Yes I am watching satellite,but I have to go outside to move the dish.I am making a lot of trip to the dish.Until I can find out what wrong. thank you

Old Satellite

Retired Mod
Reaction score
First thing I would suggest you do is to disconnect your satellite reciever from the motor connections to the jack arm.

I assume your 4dtv receiver is based upon the Motorola 4DTV?

Which is the reciever that you used last that, would not move the jack arm.

lets start fresh take your reciever and your 36 inch jack and connect to the back of the receiver short cable 6 foot lets say with them next to each other.

Hold the tube clamp bracket so that it can not rotate the outer,then press the move button for both directions does it work ok ?

if it does then measure the position of the jack arm and then move lets say 200-300 counts on the display, then reverse to the opposite the measurement should be the same. check it out with both jack arms.

If this proves ok then maybe the problem is mechanical or your cable has gone down

From what you said earlier it apears that your dish alignment is not so far out ?

Old Satellite

J

jackpeas

HI Old sat, Yes its Motorola (gI) receiver.Ok I will use the 4dtv 922 receiver and venture 36'' arm. Short 6ft cable to drive the arm. Here is the problem I cann't find Go@123deg(that where I get my download all my sat.Only a few is there. Next the only way I can make it move is to go into setup for the limit east limit first. Remember I did a master reset so clear all my of screen. Are you thinking that the cable is bad?I see another problem that when I disconnect the 36'' arm I did not write down how the wires go.The motor wire m1 and m2 connecting this up wrong could mess up the receiver In east limit menu. I have done this. But I will be careful. Thank you thank you

Old Satellite

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Yes, it may well be that the motor wires are the wrong way around M1 and M2 so that you can not set the limits without over riding the east limit switch.

Check it and also rotate your dish to position so that you can upload the channels.

with the constant problems that you are experiencing it might be an idea to give DH a call and ask them if they know some one local that can help assist ?

Old Satellite

J

jackpeas

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 06-Jun-02 AT 12:51 PM (GMT)]HI oLd sat,On june 5 I connect 4dtv back to the 36''arm( In the house no load) with ( 2 cable came of my wineguard)difference cable and it die.It stop and go until I got to about 4860. The it went dead.Before it went dead it would go slow very slow and finally stop.Now thinking with difference cable and another difference(24'') arm it might move. It did not move at all. These are the arms that Iwas using before I got the 36''arm,so Ijust took it of and put in the garage.What I was tring to fine out which is bad the receiver or the arms, cable? Something is causing the problem.The frist cable is less than 1 year the receiver,the arm all of this new stuff(I got everything new) or just like new can go bad. I did not think about Radio shack(have the 6ft motor cable,I will get it today) they sale (2) 14 gauge, (2)20gage wire.I will get it today and try it.Tring to eliminate the 4dtv in the system. I hook a pansat ap-3000 positioner to move the dish. It did not move. Next I try my Chaparral monterey 95. Not move. I kept tring all of my arms nothing work. I did accomlish something .I am using 1/2 '' all-threaded rod to drive my dish( 8 turn take me to the next sat)like amc2@85deg to amc3@87deg.2deg spacing so 2 deg = to 8 turn. I am getting higher signal read to but the picture is not better on some of them. Because I am not align yet.I diconnected c/ku lnb cable from the spitters( the reason I am using spitters is for my fta receivers) and connected it direct to the back of the 4dtv. I think that their are limit in both the arm and the receiver. They have match up. I cannot see how difference receiver, difference arm , difference cable got to do with it. If I go out and buy a new receiver, a new arm, a new cable it would work. I have been tring to get a sat-tvro tech repairman(they are not many any more,plus they have to come so far and you have to pay for drive time) out here for sometime.I still have other receivers to use. If this don' t work I will have buy 120ft of actuator motor cable, and a new arm.(just to prove I am not cazy,I am already talking to myself ) thank you for been so kind and helpful jackp n Chicago See I am home mostly al day. sorry about the long post Yes I went to GO @ 123deg and got my download(all my sat, guide,update) You know when I get everything going, I will not let it move every night to get it download. Maybe its burn out.

Old Satellite

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Hi what did you find when you powered the jack arm on the ground?

what is the full range of satellites that you would like to recieve ?

The mount you have should normaly provide 100-120 degree of movement or approx 50-60 degree from the 87 degree centre high point of your arc at your location.

I know it might be expensive but Either DH or a company called VINCOR in the US should have access to people that can help locally?

Regards

Old Satellite

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
From the picture of the back plate, I can say that for the size of dish, the polarmount and post are going to have a large amount of trouble keeping the system on station

Old Satellite

Retired Mod
Reaction score
As far as i can see you have the standard duty polar mount supplied from DH is that correct ?

I beleive for your mount, your pole is at least 5 inch inch and is it sch material ? what is the lenght of the pole ?

Old Satellite

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
If that is a 10' dish then the post looks more like 3"

Not really strong enough, but then Ive seen worse

J

jackpeas

Hi guys, I have some good news, The good news is that 3 of my 4arms is good.I tested with my battery charger 12 volts. Von wiese was bad,the 36'' arm was good.The JGS 24'' arm at the dish, move the whole dish when I connected the charger to it.Now I got to check the receiver. thank guys, I will keep you informed. jackp n Chicago

J

jackpeas

HI old sat, I order it thru VINCOr ( they are less than 30 mile from me)I buy some of my sat-parts from them.When they run special on lnb.3 of the 4 arms are working. The receiver work but I dont know about the part send out the volts to the arm. I am just getting page 4. I can move the dish with 12 volts charger. When I get the 4dtv and motor cable going. We can get back to alignment thank you jackp N chicago

J

jackpeas

HI and Hello Channel Hopper, I am sorry about taking so long to post to you.Yes its 3'' black pipe,5 or 6ft in the ground 14ft above.I have 1''pipe brace to the roof from the 3'' pipe. I have not had a problem with the wind. Its very strong.I don't know if you have seen all of the post.I just got to page 4 to day, it keep going back to page3. I can not remember all the question you ask.Old satellite is helping me with my alignment.I started to have problem my system(4dtv 922,36'' Venture arm,120ft motor cable) I am thinking it the receiver. Someone ask how far do I want go with my dish?Well I have been getting from amc7@137 to NSS 806@40deg. Is that to far to reach with my 36'' arm? Do they make a 2 actuator system(the frist one take half way and second take it the rest of the way)? Thank you for your help jackp N Chicago