Dish alignment - signal disappears

My Satellite Setup
Disecq 1.2 motor,
1.15m dish,
kaon digital FTA receiver
Hi guys, if someone could give me a hand I would be most grateful.....it's amazing how stressful it can be to get this dish in the right direction! Ok, so I am trying to hook up to THOR satellite first (I have a Disecq1.2 motor) so I am swivelling whole unit around on mast trying to get BBC World.....I manage to get good signal but it disappears within 3 or 4 seconds.......am I looking in the wrong place???? Do I need to change elevation? THanks in advance.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You will need to move the whole assembly on the pole (as you are doing) and also the elevation of the dish. What is your longitude?

My Satellite Setup
Disecq 1.2 motor,
1.15m dish,
Thanks for the quick reply. I am 5.28 E in Belgium. Actually, I have been able to find Thor, Yah for me. 12 channels.....is that good? 77% signal and 80% quality. Other satellites are proving to be difficult though. I don't seem to be able to get enough quality and therefore no channels....setup is still wrong huh? Post seems 99.9% vertical. There is a great bloody big house in front of me but that is 20/30 metres away....

closetosoton

More dishes than Sense.
My Satellite Setup
Wavefield T55, 20 LNB's and a whole load of analogue boxes!
My Location
Close to Southampton
nothing simple like trees? i think the rule of thumb is you need twice the distance to clear the height. i.e. 10m tall house. 20m distance.... cts

rolfw

Staff member
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Also if you are at 5E, then you ought to be setting Sirius 5E as your reference satellite, that being the top of the arc.

My Satellite Setup
Disecq 1.2 motor,
1.15m dish,
oh yeah, that much? @)*$!!!!! I hope the neighbours don't mind if I knock their house and garden down...... I will try Sirius then and try the other satellites off that.....approximately, what degrees should I have the dish for Sirius then?

rolfw

Staff member
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
If you want the exact figures for each satellite, download the Swedish Microwave calculator from www.smw.se got to the downloads section, it will give you every bit of information you need. :)

My Satellite Setup
Disecq 1.2 motor,
1.15m dish,
Cool, the Sirius satellite seemed to do the trick....although I don't seem to be able to get Eurosport on Astra 1 for some reason....70 other channels, but not Eurosport....I have 80% and 90% quality.....? STill the trees?

rolfw

Staff member
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
My Satellite Setup
Disecq 1.2 motor,
1.15m dish,
Definately not....missing Eurosport Germany and Viva at a quick glance, so I can imagine that there are a lot more missing as well...why?

H

Happy-Buddah

Is your receiver capable of carrying out a network search on that satellite? That should pick up your missing channels. I've just done a scan of 19E and found 277 fta digi channels.
H-B
edit
Your lack of channels might be due to out of date transponder information stored in the software
H-B

My Satellite Setup
Disecq 1.2 motor,
1.15m dish,
Actually, all the info is in there as this receiver was set up in the shop. But when I go to Eurosport and press ok I just get a black screen....80% signal quality though. There are 100's of channels like this on Astra 1 for me....

twag42

My Location
Amsterdam,Holland
try adjusting the elevation a little bit,your elevation should be about 30-32 in belgium.then do a re-scan of the channels.you should also be able to pick up the dutch channels as well.

My Satellite Setup
Disecq 1.2 motor,
1.15m dish,
Thanks for the reply, but if I adjust those two things, won't I screw up the reception on other satellites?

My Satellite Setup
Disecq 1.2 motor,
1.15m dish,
Anyway...tried it and still seems to make no difference.

rolfw

Staff member
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
This may sound silly, but are yoiu sure that you are pointing at Astra?

Can you give a list of a few of the channels you are receiving?

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Cagey1 said:
Thanks for the reply, but if I adjust those two things, won't I screw up the reception on other satellites?
If it does then the dish arch still needs a bit of adjustment - when it's correct you should get most of the main satellites positions (if you have a clear line of sight).

My Satellite Setup
Disecq 1.2 motor,
1.15m dish,
Probably doesn't sound silly because I would have no idea, I think because the receiver was already set up in the shop, all the channels are programmed in there (with right frequency etc) but I just get a black screen, even though sometimes I have 80% quality....ok channels......update!!!!!! You were right......wrong satellite!Thanks for your help!

jakenl

My Satellite Setup
Manhattan Starlight 5900+PVR-80GB,Topfield TF5000CI,Skystar2,110cm dish, Invacom 0,3dB, Moteck SG2100A,range: 75East-61West,AMD Sempron 2600+, Windows XP Pro.
My Location
The Netherlands
rolfw said:
If you want the exact figures for each satellite, download the Swedish Microwave calculator from www.smw.se got to the downloads section, it will give you every bit of information you need. :)
That's a very nice program...a bit technical, though.

Here's what I've found, Gorbtrack, very simple to use and very clear.

http://members.chello.nl/~berry.walda/GorbTrack_EN.htm

Jakenl