Dish Angle Brussels

Linda G

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky
My Location
Belgium
Could someone tell me what angle my dish should be at and/or what satellite should I be using to get my sky channels? I am now living in Brussels. I have the recently updated sky card in the box that activated it. It was activated in Ireland. Neither Hotbird (13.0E) nor Astral (19.0E) will pick up the signal. I need to get back to Coronation St and the Late Late Show quick!!

GreenmanBelg

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 x CM 1.2m matching C120 feedhorn and Invacom 0.3db twin output LNB.50 degrees East to 42 degrees West.1 x CM 1.2m AZ/EL mount matching C120 feedhorn and twin output Invacom 0.3db
Humax VACI 5300
Old Panasonic Digibox
with IRL $ky sub. Coship FTA
My Location
40kms NE of Antwerp,Belgium.
Linda G said:
Could someone tell me what angle my dish should be at and/or what satellite should I be using to get my sky channels? I am now living in Brussels. I have the recently updated sky card in the box that activated it. It was activated in Ireland. Neither Hotbird (13.0E) nor Astral (19.0E) will pick up the signal. I need to get back to Coronation St and the Late Late Show quick!!

Linda,
I'm in Belgium too with RTE, look where the sun is at 11 AM and you're close-by, weather will be good tomorrow in sunny Belgium.

Let us know if get to see Ryan&co.

jphili

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Twin monoblock and twin LNB on 80cm transparant dish rigged for twin reception from HB Astra 1 and 2 + TopField TF 7700 HDPVR + TwinHan VisionDTV
My Location
BE
Hi Linda,

here's a detailed calculation of where to point your dish:

_http_://www.satlex.de/en/azel_calc-params.html?satlo=28.2&user_satlo=&user_satlo_dir=E&location=50.80%2C4.32&cityname=bru*&la=50.80&lo=4.32&country_code=be&diam_w=80&diam_h=80

But for something a bit more visual, use Dishpointer

_http_://www.dishpointer.com/

Do watch out for the proper sat selection if you are using a multi-lnb solution

Linda G

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky
My Location
Belgium
Thanks for all your help, folks - now here's the question that will show that I know absolutely nothing about this. If I put up my 50cm dish, point it to 11am, 28E and/or _hhtp://www.satlex.de/en/azel_calc-params.html?satlo=28.2&user_satlo=&user_satlo_dir= E&location=50.80%2C4.32&cityname=bru*&la=50.80&lo= 4.32&country_code=be&diam_w=80&diam_h=80 and then run my cable from the dish to my sky box, will I receive my channels or is it a little more complicated that that?

LG
-

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
No, it is a matter of carefeully adjusting the dish azumth and elevation (left-right and up=down) in order to get a signal on your chosem satellite. The sky boxes have a signal meter on them, it is possible to use that. ( a bit of a pain using it though, I vaguely remember)

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Robbo said:
The sky boxes have a signal meter on them, it is possible to use that. ( a bit of a pain using it though, I vaguely remember)

The Signal Strength and Quality bars on Sky Boxes are somewhat vague and slow to respond to changes - when they do move, they seem to do so in unwieldy increments.

But people do manage to align using that as their only "ears"!

Clearly the TV needs to be in sight of the Dish position otherwise a "buddy" in the living room with a loud voice and good hearing is required.

A cheap needle meter at the dish end of things is a much better proposition.

Pheeny

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky
My Location
Belgium
I'm also in Belgium.I just looked at my neighbours dish and angled,pointed it the same as his.Bit hit and miss but only took me 5 mins to get a decent signal and then I "fine" adjusted it. Bingo... Now all I need is a new white card. ;)

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Pheeny said:
I'm also in Belgium.I just looked at my neighbours dish and angled,pointed it the same as his.Bit hit and miss but only took me 5 mins to get a decent signal and then I "fine" adjusted it. Bingo... Now all I need is a new white card. ;)

Lucky! :D

................ but Well Done :)

I can guarantee that more than 9 out of 10 people who start their alignment by visual comparison with a neighbour's dish end up on 19.2E.

It's probably the most common error made.

The main Satellite positions are so relatively close that it is slightly pot luck which cluster you'd end up on - but for the majority who do get 19.2E instead it is then a simple matter to shift to 28E.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Tivù said:
I can guarantee that more than 9 out of 10 people who start their alignment by visual comparison with a neighbour's dish end up on 19.2E.
Not so easy to make that mistake here. There's 4.5º difference in elevation between those so if the dish scale is good you would never hit 19ºE by accident. Up there there is only around 2.5º elevation difference so it is easier done.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Huevos said:
Not so easy to make that mistake here. There's 4.5º difference in elevation between those so if the dish scale is good you would never hit 19ºE by accident. Up there there is only around 2.5º elevation difference so it is easier done.

True enough - but you have better weather to compensate (Apart from your recent incident, of course :eek:)