Dish Comparison

damhy

Reaction score
My Location
Kent
I have a pretty cheap 85cm ISS dish from Brymar.co.uk. The problem is that I am just on the fringe of receiving Nilesat, the educational series of channels works. But the channel I want, Rotana, doesnt work in the slightest.

Anyways short of getting planning permission or bending the rules by installing a dish that is too big. I was wondering if there was any difference in signal quality between dishes of the same size but different makes. I am assuming that there is. Just I was thinking about getting the Triax TD88 which is supposed to be a good dish to sort out my problem. Or do you guys think that I havent a chance of getting that to work?

damhy

Reaction score
My Location
Kent
Actually just thinking about it, maybe I should just whack up a bigger one, now that people are used to the 85 being there, they may not even notice the extra 15cms. According to my calculations 1m would give me an extra 34% area, which would hopefully pick it up.

Anyone else in kent get Rotana Music Channel OK?

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
I can't get Al Jazeera on Nilesat with my Triax 1.1m on the south coast. :-ohmy

I'll get a picture, but very broken and locks up over 50% of the time.

Not sure how that would compare to your intended transponder.

damhy

Reaction score
My Location
Kent
BGonaSTICK said:
Not sure how that would compare to your intended transponder.
I'm after:
Nilesat 102 (7.0W) - 12130.00 V - DVB/MPEG2 - 27500 3/4 - NID: 2048 - TID: 12 - Txp: 22
Rotana Music Channel.

Apparently the vertical channels have better reception.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Sorry m8, I'd check it for you, but my 1.1m is in the shed ATM!!! :-ohmy

damhy

Reaction score
My Location
Kent
BGonaSTICK said:
Sorry m8, I'd check it for you, but my 1.1m is in the shed ATM!!! :-ohmy
Oh well, maybe I should just email rotana and ask them to go back on hotbird, they were there for a month and then left for some strange reason.

JohnC

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pioneer PDP- LX5090 50"TV
2x Samsung 50" TV
Sony RDRHXD870 DVD/HDD Recorder
Sony RDRHDX950 DVD/HDD Recorder
Humax Foxsat HD
Technomate TM-5402HD piggy-backed to a
Technomate 5500 CI Dap receiver.
Technomate TM5400C-usb connected also to 1.2 metre mo
My Location
Multi-sat enthusiast in the Heart of England since 1993....
I have a 1.2 meter dish located in Central England between Coventry and Birmingham...

I currently recieve 40 channels off Nilesat including the Music channels Zen, Mdoom and Music Plus... most of these channels breakup from around 11am every day and re-appear late afternoon to early evening!!

Most of the time they are rock solid during the hours of darkness!!.....(Must be some sort of ionisation of the atmosphere by the sun...... or is swamped by microwave energy reaching the dish from the sun!!??).

Unfortunatly there is no sign of Rotana at any time!!.... I also missed the two Rotana channels when they left Hotbird... I ave e-mailed them asking if they would return... but got no response so far!!

John
PS.... I’ve had my dish at ground level in the back garden since 1993 and never did get planning permission, even, despite the fact that it stared a planning officer in the face while examining my property in 1996 regarding a planning application for an extension...

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Nothing below a 90 will get you full time channel viewing, so you might as well bend the regulations.

damhy

Reaction score
My Location
Kent
JohnC said:
Unfortunatly there is no sign of Rotana at any time
I am deeply dissappointed by that. I am also annoyed that MBC has changed xponder on Arabsat and I can no longer view it. Not to mention some of the other recent channel losses. Sometimes I feel like giving up, but where's the fun in that?

I never understood why they got rid of rotana on hotbird, it was only there for a short space of time and then they took it away, I could've understood if it went encrypted or something, but if just vanished as quickly as it appeared.

JohnC

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2x Samsung 50" TV
Humax Foxsat HD
My Location
Although my line goes back to the Norman invasion of England and possibly of Viking decent, I do enjoy Middle Eastern music and I would be perfectly happy to pay for it!!

As I’ve said in my e-mail to Rotana "Watching their channels on Hotbird was an excellent way of promoting their Music/Video tapes and disks and I had even developed a preference to certain artists!"...

I actually want to buy some of this stuff and all I can say is, they seem to want to turn perfectly good business away from Western Europe by confining their channels on satellites aimed at the Middle East.
Why would they want to do that..?? I dont know!!.

You can view some stuff on their website here http://rotana.net/index_e.asp but its very limited and some links dont aways work.... its certainly not enough to help me buy any of thier disks or tapes..
Regards John

damhy

Reaction score
My Location
Kent
JohnC said:
and I had even developed a preference to certain artists
Yes I took I liking to Hayfa Wehbe and Nancy Ajram. Although I do actually love the music style which is why I also spend a lot of time watching the music channels on turksat. If you enjoy the arabic music though you could check out www.mazikaty.com and www.mazika.com sign up and you can download so many songs a day although the quality isn't much on some of them.

Anyways I attempted to order some albums off the net and so far I have been ripped off by being sent cd-r discs with labels printed on them. So today I have emailed Rotana to see if they will tell me of official sources for the discs. There are quite a few sites about, its just knowing which ones are dodgy. Interestingly though rotana's website has a link to amazon on it but i cannot find anything i want in the amazon listings which is what I consider stupid!

JohnC

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2x Samsung 50" TV
Humax Foxsat HD
My Location
Thanks for some usefull snippets and advice damhy
I used to be able to get the analogue channels off Turksat but cannot get a good enough signal to get all the Digital channels due to the corner of the house just nudging in the way..... I must get out there one day and move the dish a bit..... 6" to 12" would probably do it.

After doing a scan last night (during good reception) I have added another 3 channels to my Nilesat listing... making a total of 43.

H

Happy-Buddah

@ damhy
Get a dish from a well known manufacturer ie Triax/Funke/Gibertini to name but a few. Past experience with a so called "high Gain" HSS dish from that firm showed that the pick up was not as good as a 85cm named dish.
@ JohnC
I'm a bit further east than you, but with a 1m I have logged 80+ fta from Nilesat (7west), but as you say you need very good conditions. You will find that reception of this sateliite will improve as the weather improves. During last summer signal levels were superb during early evening and well into the night.

H-B

damhy

Reaction score
My Location
Kent
JohnC said:
I used to be able to get the analogue channels off Turksat but cannot get a good enough signal to get all the Digital channels due to the corner of the house just nudging in the way..... I must get out there one day and move the dish a bit..... 6" to 12" would probably do it.
Nice house! I have my dish wall mounted, fortunately the orientation of the house lets me get every almost every angle . Well all of east and as far as 43 West. Which is a nice place for the dish to be.

Happy-Buddah said:
Get a dish from a well known manufacturer ie Triax/Funke/Gibertini to name but a few. Past experience with a so called "high Gain" HSS dish from that firm showed that the pick up was not as good as a 85cm named dish.
Although I have waited for someone to give me that answer to justify buying new one, it may have to wait a little while. Anyway, you mentioned getting 80+ channels, one isn't rotana music by any chance? Probably not though, the one channel I want, I don't think I will get.

H

Happy-Buddah

@dahmy

Ratana & Rotana Clip (12130V.27500), not quite as strong as the education channels.
Anything from that satellite is a plus. Other members have advocated 1.2m dishes for good reception.
Whoops, I see that JohnC has got one that size, must read posts properly.
H-B

JohnC

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2x Samsung 50" TV
Humax Foxsat HD
My Location
Happy-Buddah said:
@ damhy
@ JohnC
I'm a bit further east than you, but with a 1m I have logged 80+ fta from Nilesat (7west), but as you say you need very good conditions. You will find that reception of this sateliite will improve as the weather improves. During last summer signal levels were superb during early evening and well into the night.

H-B
Thanks for your contribution HB.... I do know my dish is slightly out of alignment after recently fitting a new jack and bearings... so Im hoping to squeeze a bit more out of it when I can get out there and re-align it..... That's the best of a ground mounted stand.... (easy servicing) I don't have a head for heights anyway.... then hopefully I will be able to get Rotana as well.

Except for a weak Turksat and no Hellos I have a clear view of all satellites from 48 east to 58 west..... pretty good considering.
John

H

Happy-Buddah

@JohnC

Well done, it will not be too long until the weather improves so that you can csarry out your re-positioning and final tweaking. Nice set up that you have, now if you lived in a bungalow like me you would not need to move the dish (LOL).
I agree about low mounted dishes, mine is fixed to the corner of a conservatory, I can just walk underneath it without "crowning" myself. A small step ladder is all that I need to carry out any setting up etc.
Keep searching the arc, H-B.
PS. Is there anything on 48east worth looking for?
H-B

JohnC

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2x Samsung 50" TV
Humax Foxsat HD
My Location
Happy-Buddah said:
@JohnC

Well done, it will not be too long until the weather improves so that you can csarry out your re-positioning and final tweaking. Nice set up that you have, now if you lived in a bungalow like me you would not need to move the dish (LOL).
I agree about low mounted dishes, mine is fixed to the corner of a conservatory, I can just walk underneath it without "crowning" myself. A small step ladder is all that I need to carry out any setting up etc.
Keep searching the arc, H-B.
PS. Is there anything on 48east worth looking for?
H-B

oh I would be ok with a bungalow H-B !!... Thats not too high for me!!

The weather has been very good recently, although deceptivly cold... however, im looking forward to getting out there and doing some tweaking when it gets warmer!!

To answer your question theres just a few feeds at 48E and just one South African channel and a couple of bookies racing feeds at 45E.... so Turksat at 42E is definatly the best at the eastern end!!

I see your near Felixstowe..
Im located in a small village about 6 miles south of the NEC (which is very handy for exhibitions) and about ten minutes north of Stratford on Avon.... we moved here in 83 and love it to bits.
John

Mickrobo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax 5400z
1.8 prime motor 0.2, 1.2 offset 0.6, 90 cm motored0.6, 0.6 offset0.6, sly mini
45 45 view of arc
Loads of other stuff. to set up.
My Location
B93 9j* UK
10 meters from dwelling and temporary instalation ie demountable stand, not subject to planing consent, so go large.
Johnc need help with tech stuff giz a mail if you can help. local to you. J 4&5 M42 not fare from cov.

el cid

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Nilesat/arabsat/hotbird/mcsa/Dreambox 500S
My Location
Middle East & Sothern Spain
I have posted a thread "nilesat in southern Spain" I see from this thread that you can get it in the midlands UK, what sort of reception are you getting? I want to use as smaller dish as possible, any suggestions?