Dish Elevation

josephgall

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-
My Location
Co. Down
Hello, I am sitting up a satellite dish tomorrow for the first time, using the SMWLink program I have calculated using my lat. and long. what the elevation of my dish should be, it has said the dish should be tilted at 28degrees, I have looked at the markings on the bracket on my dish and that is alot more slanted than my existing dish and other dishes in my area (by the way I am setting up the dish to receive hotbird 13degress and astra 19 degrees) is this correct or should I just position the dish like all the other dishes in the area (more or less flat vertically off the wall). I would appreciate some help.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You may find that the other dishes are pointing at Astra 28.2 E, this is lower in the Sky than 13E say.

RedAltoGL

Now leaving, thanks all.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
LNB, Dish, Motor, Cable, Receivers all taken down and donated to a newbie.
My Location
London
You might find that the SMW link indicates the elevation of a centre fed dish. If you have an offset dish you have to take this into account. For the UK, offset dishes are not far off of vertical .

regards Redmund

josephgall

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-
My Location
Co. Down
RedAltoGL said:
You might find that the SMW link indicates the elevation of a centre fed dish. If you have an offset dish you have to take this into account. For the UK, offset dishes are not far off of vertical .

regards Redmund

Yes my dish is an offset dish, thanks

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
SMW Link gives the Elevation of the satellite, it is the same for both prime focus and offset dishes..

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
the marked scale is very "rough and ready", to actually find the satellite you have to very slowly and carefully move the dish (a meter with audio output is helpful) until receiver locks onto a signal.

If in UK, then all offset dishes "seem to" be pointing straight at the horizon, for a reasonable distance east and west of direct south.

RedAltoGL

Now leaving, thanks all.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
LNB, Dish, Motor, Cable, Receivers all taken down and donated to a newbie.
My Location
London
@rolfw

"SMW Link gives the Elevation of the satellite, it is the same for both prime focus and offset dishes.."

Agreed, but the little piccy shows a centre fed dish and I think that was where the original poster was having problems.
regards Redmund

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
May well be, but I got the impression that the thread starter was comparing his new dish setting (a la SMW) to the other dishes in the area, not the illustration on the calculator itself.