Dish fixed to chimney

mark2101

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec-Star Lifetime Classic Receiver with 65cm dish single LNB
My Location
London, UK
Getting satellite installed tomorrow, dont want the dish on front of the house, so want to put it on the chimney, but my friend told me it's bad idea for various reasons. What do people here think as there must be some that have them on their chimney?

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
You can only put a dish < 45cm on a chimney (from memory) or on the roof. A dish will act like a sail when it's windy and the forces can bring pull your chimney down.

How big is your dish? I bought a transparent dish to be a little bit less "obvious".

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
It's gone up to 60cm now, but really depends on the size of the chimney as to how sensible it is.

What type of satellite dish are you having installed?

mark2101

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London, UK
Sky mini dish, then in a month or so am getting a FTA reciever with a 65cm dish which i will put on the front of the house. Just didn't want 2 dishes on the front of the house really.

the_happy_traveller

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
freesat HD (time to join 21st century)
comag sl65
comag porty II (camping)
Pace Prima (analogue)
Assortment of dishes.
computer:
Shiney new Acer
My Location
Derbyshire, England
OOPS!!!!!!!!!
My 80cm dish is on the chimney.
Luckily its 3 storeys up and can't be seen from the road. Also the chimney is on the gable end which just happens to face almost due south.
The bracket was made by a welder friend of mine and the fixings are tied into the brickwork (fitted by a builder friend)
So far its been fine, touch wood.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
mark2101 said:
Sky mini dish, then in a month or so am getting a FTA reciever with a 65cm dish which i will put on the front of the house. Just didn't want 2 dishes on the front of the house really.

You may have problems with Sky or one of their contractors if you ask them to put it on the chimney, as most of them are not equipped to do it.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
The most important thing to remember is to make sure the brickwork is sound - there have been many cases of big TV aerials or satellite dishes bringing the chimney stack down because the mortar cant stand the wind loadings.

You DO NOT want a couple of tons of brickwork joining you in bed one stormy night! :eek:

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Why not fit it at the back of the house on a post that clears the roofline ?

mark2101

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London, UK
rolfw said:
You may have problems with Sky or one of their contractors if you ask them to put it on the chimney, as most of them are not equipped to do it.
You were right, Sky guy came yesterday to fit it, I asked him if I could have the dish on the chimney and he replied not unless you can fly, because I cant, then he just put it where he wanted and put half the bracket on the neighbours house. Then came in said i left you the manual on the tv to show you how to use it, bye. He did a cheap shody job. But i've ordered my free to air satellite system so should get that this week.

stealthpirate

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 1500ci+ super (upstairs), Phoenix Apollo MC (downstairs) both running off a cheapo 80cm dish with a twin output monoblock 13° &amp; 19.2°. Sky+ (downstairs) piped 'round the house.
My Location
Yorkshire
mark2101 said:
He did a cheap shody job. But i've ordered my free to air satellite system so should get that this week.

LOL, sounds like you have just been hit by a SKY sub(standard) contractor.... suppose you signed the agreemant too?
It's a good job the sky system is really easy to install, 'cos most of 'em have trouble speaking!.... hope he had all his safety gear on??

Jambo_Habari

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
&lt;&gt; DSR 9500 VIA CI &lt;&gt;
Dragon / Predator
My Location
Arctic Circle
Hello M8's

Have a 140cm dish on my chimney for the past 6 years, and it has
survived all the arctic winterstorms so far, has not moved a mm.
however the motor has been replaced twice during the said time,
can not cope with the -30+ temperatures.

The trick is to have a solid chimney, as well as double or tripple
steel bands to ancor the motor/dish.

Cheers, :-beer
Jambo

mark2101

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London, UK
Have another question, where i want to put my next satellite dish there is a tree in the dtreet in front, can trees stop you picking up satellite signals? Also how does the signal work, what sort of angle does it come in? and does it hit the dish 1st and then the LNB? Dont know very much about how they work.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
The signal is collected by the dish and reflected into the LNB feedhorn, from your location, the highest satellite (Thor at 1W) is at about 30 degrees elevation, they then drop at either side of due South, about 17 degrees at 45 East and West.

How far away is the tree and how tall is it?

mark2101

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London, UK
Tree is about 13m away and about 4m tall

moffatt

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Freeview, BT Total Broadband, BT Broadband Talk
My Location
Atherstone, Nr. B'ham/Cov.
That probably won't have much of an effect if any.

mark2101

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London, UK
Oh cool, am going to try to fit it myself so will be asking your help on the forum i'm sure. What would you recommend for a satellite finder, saw one in maplin you stick on the LNB and put a ear piece in that beeps when it picks up satellites are they any good?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Yep, basic but effective. :)

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
mark2101 said:
Tree is about 13m away and about 4m tall
If you want to be sure cut yourself a cardboard triangle and use it to see if you got a clear view from where your dish is to the sky.

edd173

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fixed dish on 19.2e for free to air only.
My Location
Up a ladder
Mark , i assume you want the FTA system for Astra 1 (19.2 deg east) - Why not just fit a 2nd LNB to the 65cm dish for your Sky programmes. That removes your 2 dishes on the house dilema:)

mark2101

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London, UK
edd173 said:
Mark , i assume you want the FTA system for Astra 1 (19.2 deg east) - Why not just fit a 2nd LNB to the 65cm dish for your Sky programmes. That removes your 2 dishes on the house dilema:)
Want to pick up a few different satellites so am going to move it from time to time.