Dish for Hotbird............

nickbrace

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Plus, Orbit
My Location
Milton Keynes
Hi all,
I am wanting to get some channels from Hotbird 13 East and I wanted to know if I could use my old Sky dish....? The dish itself was taken down a couple weeks ago and it was used for one year - it was installed for Sky Plus.
Will I be able to use the existing dish and lmb to get hotbird??
Second question - Is 60cm enough for Hotbird? I have been told by 3 people that it will be fine but then a 4'th person said the picture will dodgy at times with only a 60cm dish.........do you all have any comments on this?
I was intending originally to get a bigger dish but it would be nice if I could just use the dish/lmb I had and save some cash :D
My next task will be looking on the web for instructions on how to allign a LMB :rolleyes: :confused :eek:

Jaffer

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Samsung A300W with component output
Hotbird & Astra2
My Location
South East England
Enough but the signal will be bad if it is raining. I had it and upgraded to 80cm.

don'tknowdon'taskme

Part Timer
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 800HD DreamBox 7025 PVR160g HD,500s Dreambox ,Sly+ Full Package,SkyCard 2, And a Eagle 500 Clone DM500 TM755,TM9100 Linux
Channel Master 1.2m,1224EL Supermount Orbit Tracking Motor With c120 Feed Horn Invacom Quad Lnb Cas3 SC Dragon Progr
My Location
that would be telling
as jaffer said it will be bad in rough weather it would pay to upgrade it to a 80cm you may pick one up on fleabay or one of the sponsered sites could help.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Try it and see nick. Part of the fun of the hobby is seeing just how much you can wring out of second hand equipment. You should get the stronger transponders on 13E ok, you may get some signal loss in bad weather, but if so you get a bigger dish if its causing problems. :) Most of my kit is second hand, some of the dishes were battered and bent almost beyond any hope of use but an hour with some mole grips and a 2lb hammer(!) straightened them out nicely.

Tommy65

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Goldbox Philips 6072
60cm (Essex) + 80 cm + 90 cm dual feed (ROme)
My Location
Essex + Italy (Rome)
60 cm is completely fine. I get all of them (Hotbird 1-6) in whatever weather condition.

Bye

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TMS-1500 CI+ "patched" receiver, 90cm p/f 36v motorised dish, Inverto C120 0.3db LNB, Moteck V-Box 2, Packard Bell 6052 XP Home computer, Toshiba A60 laptop, and lots of Russian Vodka !
My Location
Essex
Do as Analoguesat says and try the sky dish, think you might be surprised at how much you pick up.
If you want more channels then you can always get a bigger dish at a later date.