dish gone mad - moves itself

ckrys1

Reaction score
My Location
pj::
My mate has a Pace 508 analogue receiver connected via 4 terminals to a H-H mount to move a 1m dish with a Humax 5300 looped to the Pace to watch digital.
The dish has started to move spontaneusly, without anyone touching the Pace remote - The Pace will switch itself on from standby, go to a random channel, and the dish will move to the satellite where that channel is. Often before it gets there, the Pace will go to a different channel and if that`s on a different satellite, the dish will head there. The Pace does respond to its remote, so that he can go to a satellite to watch the Humax, but has to then switch off the Pace at the mains - otherwise the dish will be off somewhere else in a few minutes. Putting it into standby doesn`t help - the Pace switches itself on and off it goes!
He`s checked all the connections at the receiver, and visually at the dish. Is this likely to be a receiver software problem, cable problem, or motor problem? He seems to regard me as an expert, but I havn`t got a clue here!

cjgall

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Topfield 4000PVR with Aston 1.07 CAM, (canaldigitaal), dragoncam,
Sky digibox,
Bush HD Freesat,
Visiosat trisat looking at Astra1, Astra2 and Hotbird.
My Location
Netherlands & Central Brittany
It looks like your friend may need a priest, demon possessions can manifiest in all kinds of bizzare ways.

Seriously though, it sounds like a software(/timer?) problem as the receiver is changing channel before the dish is moved. Maybe resetting the receiver may help. Failing that how about reloading the firmaware?

ckrys1

Reaction score
My Location
pj::
Thanks - when u say resetting, do u mean switch off and on? Certainly he`s tried that. Suppose it`s most likely to be a receiver problem and he might be better replacing it with a cheap one off Ebay. Just wondered if it could be the motor at the dish telling the Pace to change channel, or if anyone else had had the same experience.

cjgall

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Topfield 4000PVR with Aston 1.07 CAM, (canaldigitaal), dragoncam,
Sky digibox,
Bush HD Freesat,
Visiosat trisat looking at Astra1, Astra2 and Hotbird.
My Location
Netherlands & Central Brittany
No, I don't mean switching on and off. I meant restoring the factory settings. Its very unlikely (if not impossible) that the motor and dish are telling the receiver to change channels. I think its a software or receiver hardware problem. Maybe your friend can borrow a receiver so he can test the cables, motor and dish.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
I would first take the remote out of the room, or remove the batteries

It may be there is damp in the contacts of the remote rubber

I dont think the Pace can be factory set or have new firmware loaded into it

If it persists, get a DiSEqC motor box (V box) and run the dish from the digital receiver, using the Pace as a slave for analogue only