Dish hitting wall?

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S, VU+ Solo2, 1.1m Dish, Moteck SG-2100A DISEQC Motor
My Location
Rochdale
What would happen if you try and get an extra satellite, but your dish turned and hit the wall???

would it break the motor? or would it just stop auto?

just wondered :)

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
My guess would be - strip the gears in the motor or damage the dish.

johnsattuk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Topfield 5800 Echostar3000,DB7000, Relook 400S, Humax HDC2000, 55cm Fibo Gregorian dish with waveguide and Motek 2100 mod, 90cm Fibo Gregorian dish, 120cm Fibo Gregorian dish on a 1224 motor with waveguide
My Location
West Mids, UK
I thought that setting up a motorised mount included setting E/W limits in software and/or hardware :-hny

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
johnsattuk said:
I thought that setting up a motorised mount included setting E/W limits in software and/or hardware

Yes, it does - both...

Think we're wondering what would happen if you disabled them and the dish hit the wall?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
It will often just stop the motor without doing anything to the gears, the Moteck seems to have a cut out, but not sure about the others.

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Rochdale
The reason i ask is that last year i didnt know if i could get 30w, so i disabled my limits and sent it..... woohoo and now i receive it :)

but looking at the dish outside while its at 30w, and it looks like it could go alot further..... but i dont want to risk hitting the wall if its gonna be expensive!!!

stevienire

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 1000D + Moteck SG2100a + 85CM Dish
My Location
Northern Ireland
Mine often hits the wall using a Moteck and a TM1000D It just hits the wall and stops. No damage is done.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Missing my a millimeter is like missing by a mile.

Older systems would buckle the dish, or even damage the mounting post, as I found with a 1.5 when a limit had gone in the receiver memory. Newer systems are still prone to possible damage, either by overload of the receiver tuner circuit, or wear on the cogs int he gearbox if the design ofo the motor is not perfect.

You could always chip a few bricks out of the wall if you want to go further

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Rochdale
if it wasnt for the wind i would move my dish to the top of the chimney... right on top :)
the chimney isnt used and is just blocked off, and its flat..... very tempting

Ummmm 360 degrees lol

had a double extension on the house a few months ago, and it was all scaffolded. could have been quite easy then.

tonguedv

Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
My Satellite Setup
Motorised Triax 88 Dish, DP6600 VBox, Dreambox 7020S with 200gb hd, Linksys Router WRT54GS & Linksys Bridge WET54G. ADSL Internet.
My Location
Aberdeen, Scotland
RedDevil_UK said:
if it wasnt for the wind i would move my dish to the top of the chimney... right on top :)
the chimney isnt used and is just blocked off, and its flat..... very tempting

Ummmm 360 degrees lol

had a double extension on the house a few months ago, and it was all scaffolded. could have been quite easy then.

I just have to mention putting up a second dish pointing the other way to achieve the rest. Uglier and bulkier but hey :-)

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Rochdale
If i knew of lots of channels worth getting on a north facing wall i would go for it...

Front of house is a south facing wall, dish is on that wall

back of house faces north... anyone know of channels worth having??? or do i need a NASA sized dish :D

edd173

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fixed dish on 19.2e for free to air only.
My Location
Up a ladder
Not sure about these Diseq systems, but i reckon in the day you would have simply pulled the mount out of the wall depending on how good a fixing you had

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
RedDevil_UK said:
back of house faces north... anyone know of channels worth having???

No geostationary satellite North - they all live on the equator - South

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Rochdale
No geostationary satellite North - they all live on the equator - South

Great, that keeps things simple then :)

you would have simply pulled the mount out of the wall depending on how good a fixing you had

no chance of that!! two massive brackets and a 3 foot piece of scaffolding pole drilled and metal plugged into brick.... 1930s brick too, not the soft modern version.

My main worry would be breaking the motor, because then it would be £100 for a new motor and £150 for the realignment.... that would be a bill of £250 for trying to get a few new channels Doh!!

no matter how many channels you get we always want more :) greedy buggers lol..... or is it just me :D

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
Hi Red Devil
Nothing much of interest beyond 30 west really, and after 42 east there is not that much either you can get with a normal sized dish in the UK in my opinion. Or is there?

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
T_G said:
Nothing much of interest beyond 30 west really

Agree T_G not worth risking your set up for...