Dish location.

Dave_RST

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to all this so please bear with me.

I am wanting to install a 1m motorised dish on the end of our garage which is at the back of our house, the house is two stories plus a loft conversion, is there a rough distance the dish needs to be away from the house so that the house isn't in the way?

I'm wanting to receive 30w to 30e and the front of the house is roughly south facing, we are in the north west, I would rather find out if this will work before I go to the trouble of mounting the dish.

Can anyone help please?

I can provide photos of the proposed site if it will help at all.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If you are in the Midlands or further South, then the highest satellite in the arc will be around 30 degrees elevation and the lowest, say 30 degrees E or w, will be around 24 degrees.

This being the case, for the lowest satellites, you will need to be twice as far away from the building in the line of site as the building is high about 1 in 2, for the highest, the one at due South, about 2 in 3.

Dave_RST

Reaction score
Ok thanks, it looks like it should clear the house then with a bit of luck.

Should find out shortly I'm fitting it tomorrow, just looking through the guides on here very helpful.

Do you think I should be able to manage it in a day, bearing in mind this is my first attempt at motorised?

I've bought a Technomate digisat pro meter are these any good?

I haven't got an Inclinometer though, are these really required?

Finally after doing a bit of reading up on the installation it's clear that the pole needs to be dead vertical, is a spirit level good enough for this or is something more accurate needed?

Sorry for all the questions.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
A spirit level should be OK, that's what I use, the Digisat Pro is made by Emitor as far as I know, but is a good little meter.

Dave_RST

Reaction score
Ok thanks, do I really need a Inclinometer?

One other thing, reading the setup instructions for my receiver (technomate 5500ci) it says to setup the dish to 13e hotbird where as most of the guides I've read say to setup to 1w, which is the best way?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
The zero position for the motor should be Due South, so it depends on where you are as to what sat you line up on, but it should be the closest one to Due South..

Dave_RST

Reaction score
I'm in the north west about 20 miles south of manchester, so should I be lining up on 1w?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
You don't really need one.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Greater Manchester Lattitude 53.483N Longitude 2.249W

Yes. :)

G

GotMyBusPass

Set my dish up today at a slightly different location . At the weekend I dropped a 3meter scaffold pole into a hole at the front corner of my garage, used a couple of cut down "T & K" brackets to hold it to the wall and poured concrete into the hole and left 3 days to set.

Today pointed my dish and motor towards the sun at 1pm, nipped up the bolts, drove to 28east and got a signal, drove to 1west and maximised signal. Drove to 42east and 43west, 80+ quality and strength on strongest TP's on both those birds, tightened all up. Now can access satellites from 53east to 58west.

Remember your pole must be "dead plumb" in all directions, and when searching for a signal, just a small movement then let your receiver try for a lock before you carry out another small movement. Inclinometer, forget about it, £2.99 spirit level from Aldi is what I use.

GMBP:)
BTW I'm at 52.1N & 1.1E