Website
Visit site
My Location
North West
I have only been "digital" for just over a week - credit card
needs reprogramming too! However I now fully realise the need for
a motorised dish.

The receiver supports Diseq and USALS. THe dish is a 80cm
mesh Channel Master on a zigzag pole attached to the wall.
What motor do I need and can someone recommend a reliable
make please. Quality more important than cost!

TVMIA
Meldrew

cjgall

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Topfield 4000PVR with Aston 1.07 CAM, (canaldigitaal), dragoncam,
Sky digibox,
Bush HD Freesat,
Visiosat trisat looking at Astra1, Astra2 and Hotbird.
My Location
Netherlands & Central Brittany
I tried a Moteck rotor but had nothing but problems with it. I now have an Aston Tracksat and I and am really happy with it. The Aston has a very solid look and feel, I am no expert though. One installer told me that Aston are the best, that no doubt is a matter of opinion.

meldrew

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
North West
cjgall said:
I tried a Moteck rotor but had nothing but problems with it. I now have an Aston Tracksat and I and am really happy with it. QUOTE]

TVM - thats one vote for Aston then. I'd rather have a double LNB
than something likely to go wrong.

Meldrew

cjgall

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky digibox,
Bush HD Freesat,
My Location
Do you mean multi feed LNB?

I have a twin LNB on my motorized setup so I can add a second reciever in a different room.

A multifeed LNB looks at two (or more) different satellite positions at the same time. The further apart the satallite positions are, the bigger the dish you will need to receive them. I know that its no real problem recieving Astra1 & Hotbird with an 80cm dish, But Astra1 & Astra2 and especially Astra2 & Hotbird are much further apart. There are special dishes and LNB holders available to which you can add two or more LNB's pointing to different positions on the Clarke belt.

There is one drawback with a motorized setup as far as I am concerned. My receiver has two tuners built in. I cannot record a program on my harddisk from a station on Astra1 while viewing a station on Astra2. Using a multifeed LNB (with twin output) would enable me to do this.

Alan Rogers

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
meldrew said:
I have only been "digital" for just over a week - credit card
needs reprogramming too! However I now fully realise the need for
a motorised dish.

The receiver supports Diseq and USALS. THe dish is a 80cm
mesh Channel Master on a zigzag pole attached to the wall.
What motor do I need and can someone recommend a reliable
make please. Quality more important than cost!

TVMIA
Meldrew

I use a Rotor Sat HH100 motor developed in cooperation with Eutelsat and is a STAB DiSeqC 1.2 and USALS compatible. I have found it very reliable and acurately locks on to the 20+ satellites I am able to tune from this location. Depending where you are located in the UK the company I purchased my setup from is located in Bristol. The motor costs approx £100 and you can order online if you wish to send an E.Mail to me I will give the website details and Telephone No. they are very helpful and they will send you easy to follow instructions how to set up the motor. My E.Mail is (probably best not to post your email directly on the site pages, it may lead to all sorts of 'offers' - a PM is probably a beter idea)

Hope this helps.
All the best
Alan

meldrew

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
North West
TVM Alan and cjgall.
The decision is simply between a Disecq motor and a fixed dish
with a twin LNB (one output) to get both AStra and Hotbird.
The motor has the advantage that I can then access more
satellites increasing the chances of free football. The fixed
system will stay fixed with no liklihood of mechanical breakdown.

Its probably going to be the motor as the price difference (£50
v. £100) is not very great.

The real danger is that I get too involved in the technology and
forget about watching the programs. The more I watch their
TV the more likely I am to converted to voting for the euro when the
time comes!

I also believe that a form of pay per view should be europe wide
so one can load a card with money and then choose to watch a
program of choice whether it is from France Spain Germany or
wherever. As it is the digital programs reach only a minority of
the potential audience.

Meldrew

cjgall

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky digibox,
Bush HD Freesat,
My Location
I use a motor but am not concerned with the technology, if it isn't broken don't fix it is my motto. In many respects a motor is the best option unless you need to record and watch two or more satellites at the same time.

I wouldn't want a European wide PPV system for all channels. I already pay for the Dutch public channels through taxes (thanks for jogging my memory 2old) so I don't see why I should should have to pay a subscription. However I do think that we should be able to subscribe to foreign stations without breaking the law.

I am more than satisfied with the Dutch and UK FTV stuff that I receive, but I wouldn't mind getting a few other channels like Discovery and maybe the Sky SciFi channel. As it now stands I am not prepared to subscribe to any of the CanalDigitaal packages, for instance the only channel of interest to me in the CanalDigitaal Basic package is Discovery and there is no way I will pay E 6.25 to receive it, a pick n mix system would be much better.

I doubt that it will happen but what I would really like to see is iether companies like CanalDigitaal and Sky working together or even better some smaller companies being allowed in to resell channels, similar to the way Tele2 and the like exploit the telephone systems in Europe. I don't like the idea of loading a card with money, sounds too much like the old days when when we had gas and electricity meters with coin slots.