Dish Motor

leonardwolk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
none
My Location
none
I'm finally going to invest in a motor, but I don't really need/want a disecq H-H system so I found this one, it is not built for satellites but would it be usable?

78955E3C766FD60EE10000000A010251.JPG

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Not a big expert on these Leonard, but it looks like it only moves in the horizontal plane and will not be suitable for the semi eliptical path the satellite dish needs to follow.

leonardwolk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
none
My Location
none
Yes, you are right it is only horizontal movement, but how many degrees vertical is the difference between South and 75 degrees to the west/east from south?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Its quite a few Leonard, if you get the Swedish microwave calculator and type in your location, then the extreme ranges of the required satellites, you will find that the elevations can be 10 degrees difference on the extremes of a small arc.

leonardwolk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
none
My Location
none
ok, that was quite a difference, sometimes up to 15 degrees, so do you have any recomendations for me? I would like to have manual or a special box for the alignment of the dish.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Depends on your dish type and size

If a large size or prime focus antenna it might be useful to buy a polarmount off the shelf and bolt it to the back.

If offset with a pole clamp arrangement then a complete motor/gearbox would be more economical

leonardwolk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
none
My Location
none
i have a rather small dish, 1.00m, so I figured out that a Disecq motor with a disecq steering box would be fine for me.