dish mounted, WOO

georgia_grrl

Reaction score
well, the dish mount is up, and the dish is on it, i just need to go up a ladder and drill a hole for the cable then i can set it up properly, i'll do that whenever i get up tomorrow, hopefully i'll be up and running before it gets dark tomorrow evening :D

in the end, my technique to keep the pole vertical was 4 stakes and 2 battens, at different heights and at right angles to each other. got the pole vertical then clamped it to each batten, made sure it was still vertical, pourec concrete, checked it again, covered it with polystyrene to keep the frost at bay then went to the pub :D

my back is killing me from all the concrete mixing and moving, but it's worth it i think

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
georgia_grrl said:
well, the dish mount is up, and the dish is on it, i just need to go up a ladder and drill a hole for the cable then i can set it up properly, i'll do that whenever i get up tomorrow, hopefully i'll be up and running before it gets dark tomorrow evening :D

in the end, my technique to keep the pole vertical was 4 stakes and 2 battens, at different heights and at right angles to each other. got the pole vertical then clamped it to each batten, made sure it was still vertical, pourec concrete, checked it again, covered it with polystyrene to keep the frost at bay then went to the pub :D

my back is killing me from all the concrete mixing and moving, but it's worth it i think
Glad to hear you're persevering with it georgia (I've seen your previous post).
Now comes the interesting bit. Be sure to keep us up-to-date - plenty of help available here!

Llew

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
georgia_grrl said:
covered it with polystyrene to keep the frost at bay then went to the pub

-3 for Glasgow tonight...

Great that you didn't give up - remember to wear gloves as the pole/dish will be cold when you get round to setting them up.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Hi
like many others here we are waiting with baited breath for the next installment. I'll bet you couldn't resist trying out some pole dancing When you came back from the pub I hope you took advice and used gloves before doing that.
How did the concrete fair in the current climate??

twag42

Reaction score
My Location
Amsterdam,Holland
i like the initiative she used in making sure the pole was right. i often come up with these simple but brilliant solutions myself. keep up the good work georgia and keep us posted.

TWAG

georgia_grrl

Reaction score
nah i staggered in from teh pub and went to my bed.

been out in the garden since 9:30 this morning trying to find ANY satellites with no joy whatsoever. on theoff chance i had bad connections i even ran another bit of ct100 cable with different F connctors on out to the dish, still nothing. gonna take a break, defrost my tootsies and have somethign to eat then go back out there and try again.

i think it may be time to totally ignore the installation instructions for the moto and mess about with the dish elevation, as nothing i do to rotate teh dish makes any difference to my total lack of signal and 20% strength (background noise i guess)

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
Post a piccy and give us a look at your elev

L

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
georgia_grrl said:
i think it may be time to totally ignore the installation instructions for the moto and mess about with the dish elevation

I would try that - if you get at least on position sorted at least you're getting somewhere.

Do you have a satellite meter?

georgia_grrl

Reaction score
i dont have a digital camera unfortunately, not even a camera phone :(

no sat meter, i'll try again in the morning, one of the neighbous took the top off his tree earlier today, which was nice, i want expecting to get anything part 28.2e, but shoudl have a clear sight way past that.

the dish is set to 38.5 degrees, or as near as i could get it, the scale is in 5 degree increments, so its a little over halfway between 35 and 40.

the motor is set to my latitude i think (i forget which one is up and down and which is acroos, but its set to whichever oen the manual told me to.)

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
georgia_grrl said:
i dont have a digital camera unfortunately, not even a camera phone :(

no sat meter, i'll try again in the morning, one of the neighbous took the top off his tree earlier today, which was nice, i want expecting to get anything part 28.2e, but shoudl have a clear sight way past that.

the dish is set to 38.5 degrees, or as near as i could get it, the scale is in 5 degree increments, so its a little over halfway between 35 and 40.

the motor is set to my latitude i think (i forget which one is up and down and which is acroos, but its set to whichever oen the manual told me to.)
If it is a sunny day again and you have line of sight to the direction of the sun at 1.00pm, I personally would try in that direction as there is a greater concentration of satellites although signal strength may not be as good. I am no expert but have always set up from either 19.2 deg E or 1 deg W but there again my dish is bigger. Wish I could help more

georgia_grrl

Reaction score
right, i think i've cracked it, but its too bloody cold to go look just now.

i think the manual for my motor is tlaking total nonsense. everywhere else i look, you set the motor to your latitude, then the angle on the dish mount is 90 - your latitude, so in my case it would be 24, not 38.5

i could be totally wrong, but it's certainly worth a shot.